Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Got me a free DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got me a free DVD!

Gotta love it when scanners ring up the wrong price.

The movie: Tremors Collectors Edition. I spotted it in one of those cardboard bins at the ol' grocery store tonight. It was laying on top of a bunch of discs, the only copy, with a $6.95 sticker on it. New, unopened, still had those security stickers on all three sides.

I'd always enjoyed the original Tremors movie. Heck, maybe even the second. Everything is a function of price, so I figured why not.

Went to a do-it-yourself check out, and it rang up at $9.95. I pointed it out to a guy doing bagging, who changed it to $6.95. I asked about the posted "Accu-Scan" policy saying if it scans wrong, you get it free, but he said it wouldn't apply.

I didn't want to accept that, so I asked at the customer service counter, where I was given my money back!

It sure pays to ask. And for being such an old release (98, right?) it looks really good. And a bunch of extras too - and even a beautiful INSERT!
Old 09-08-04, 11:27 PM
Suspended

Me?

(a flatmate who buys almost every new DVD that comes out) + (the DVD burner in my computer) - (the time it takes me to back them up) = JOY!
Old 09-08-04, 11:31 PM
Banned

Well, I didn't get my purchase for free, but I had about the same thing happen today at Taco Bell.

Went through the drive-in and ordered a #6 (2 beef chalupas and a taco). Price was $4.49. Clerk said $6 something. I said, "What? $6+ for what? I said "It's $4.50 + tax." He later said, "I'm having some problems." I thought, "You ain't kidding." But like I said, I didn't get it for free, but I saved myself nearly $2 because I asked.

So kinda makes me wonder if the price they quote is always correct or not.
Old 09-08-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Me?

Originally posted by Forum Troll
[B (the time it takes me to back them up) [/B]
That isn't backing them up, unless your flatmate is the one who keeps them, which I doubt.
Old 09-08-04, 11:41 PM

So what's the thought on Tremors 'round here? Good movie? Bad movie? Good DVD? Bad DVD? The review I found here is kinda sparse.

I know I saw Tremors 2. And probably 3. Ain't seen 4. Is it a downward spiral?
Old 09-08-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Well, I didn't get my purchase for free, but I had about the same thing happen today at Taco Bell.

Went through the drive-in and ordered a #6 (2 beef chalupas and a taco). Price was $4.49. Clerk said $6 something. I said, "What? $6+ for what? I said "It's $4.50 + tax." He later said, "I'm having some problems." I thought, "You ain't kidding." But like I said, I didn't get it for free, but I saved myself nearly $2 because I asked.

So kinda makes me wonder if the price they quote is always correct or not.

Best DVD discussion yet ..... the spirit of Danol lives on.
Old 09-08-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

(a flatmate who buys almost every new DVD that comes out) + (the DVD burner in my computer) - (the time it takes me to back them up) = JOY!
You belong in jail.
Old 09-10-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We all wish we were you
Old 09-10-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
So what's the thought on Tremors 'round here? Good movie? Bad movie? Good DVD? Bad DVD? The review I found here is kinda sparse.

I know I saw Tremors 2. And probably 3. Ain't seen 4. Is it a downward spiral?
I love the first one. Funny, witty, some genuine tension. The people and the creatures are all smart. Definitely a must-see. (I haven't seen the sequels).

Altimus - what grocery store was this?

Also - where are you from? I grew up in the Pittsburgh area (Aliquippa).

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-10-04 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-10-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
Osco's "scan correct or it's free" policy got me a free $40 humidifier for free last winter
Old 09-10-04, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by NCYankee
I love the first one. Funny, witty, some genuine tension. The people and the creatures are all smart. Definitely a must-see. (I haven't seen the sequels).

Altimus - what grocery store was this?

Also - where are you from? I grew up in the Pittsburgh area (Aliquippa).
Giant Eagle in Leetsdale - you should know where that is. I grew up and still live in the Pittsburgh airport area.

Yeah, the first Tremors is a very good movie for what it is. It made my gf - who hadn't seen it - jump a few times.
Old 09-10-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giant Eagle in Leetsdale - you should know where that is. I grew up and still live in the Pittsburgh airport area.
I know right where that is - next door to QV High School, right? My cousin works at a medical supply place right across the road. I pitched the best game of my career at the baseball field next door, beat Leetsdale(?) Am Legion 2-1 (1984).

Is that local cop Tim Marshall still giving out bogus tickets on that stretch of 68? He got me once, 68/45 zone - complete BS, I was doing maybe 52. I would have beaten it on appeal but he didn't show.

Where did you go to HS? My wife went to West A (90), I went to Center(84).

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-10-04 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-10-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I smell a banning
Old 09-10-04, 09:53 PM

Well, to get back on subject...

Tremors, being released in 98, is now probably the oldest DVD I own. I was impressed by the quality of the picture, the amount of bonus features on a single disc, and the "insert" - which is more than an insert, it's a several page booklet, with a write-up, pictures, etc.

I can't remember when DVDs first came out, or when they really took off in popularity. Was it before 98? It seems to me DVDs are now probably better than they used to be - but we still get complaints about video and audio issues, even in recent movies, and the whole disappearance of inserts thing. And now it seems if you want a movie with a lot of extras, it's probably going to be two discs, not just one.

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I opened this thread thinking it would be about ripping off some cashier--turns out it was (reasonably) legitimate, even though they tried to weasel out. So good deal for an entertaining movie.
Old 09-11-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, to get back on subject...
Sorry to get so far off topic - I wasn't trying to wring personal info out of you, I just thought it would be funny if you had gone to HS with my wife, since West A is right by the (new) airport. OTOH, if you were talking about the old airport, then I might have delivered pizzas to you in the late 80's (worked for Domino's behind West Hills Nissan).

Back on topic - it's too bad we don't Giant Eagles in NC, I have heard a few people talk about good deals on DVDs there that aren't available elsewhere - someone a while back mentioned seeing Die Another Day on sale for $4.99. I would love to pick up Tremors for $6.95 - it is available as an enrollment from CH, but I have a long list of 2-disc SE's I want to get first, so it will be a while before I get it.