TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Screensavers debut G4TechTv

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 06:37 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screensavers debut G4TechTv

I do not like the new guy it's like quere eye for the tech guy.
Old 09-07-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just flipped this on to see Kevin putting a raw egg in his mouth and spitting it out. This shit seems silly, especially since that guy is now grating cheese on a heatsink.
Old 09-07-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last screen savers I saw Kevin showed how to destroy a CD by putting it in the microwave. I've destroyed about 10 blank CD's since then. Can't get enough of it.
Old 09-07-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since it turned to G4TechTV, I stopped watching because Screensavers changed to an inconvient time, and every other show sucked so much I felt dirty just being on that channel, I've since cancelled my cable.

So was today like the first episode with a new cast and in LA? what else has changed? which people did not move over?
Old 09-07-04, 11:03 PM

I have not seen anything on this chanell since it was taken over by G4TechTv. Everything sucks on it and in my opinion ScreenSavers show is terrible now.

They need Leo back.
Old 09-07-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had no idea this was coming back today since there's really nothing left on the channel that interests me. That said, my curiousity was piqued on who they got to replace Patrick. Going by his bio page, and I'll admit I'm biased since every other part of the network has gone to the crapper... http://www.g4techtv.com/html/host.asp?host_key=54

Why, why, why would they get yet another person with no television experience? Pat wasn't exactly great, but he was a crutch for Kevin to lean on. A show like this needs at least one person who knows the ropes of doing on-air work. Unless Kevin has greatly improved...

"Alex has the uncanny ability to "bring the funny," as he puts it."

What items do you own that qualify as technologically geeky?

"HDTV, Hacked ReplayTV, Hacked Xbox, Samsung i600 Smartphone, car nav system." Wow, a car nav system, a TV set and a cell phone are real geeky.

What's the nerdiest/techiest thing you've done?

"Taken a tour of the Xbox Live server farm in Washington State! It was like Mecca!" Oy vey
Maybe I just really, really hate the console loving approach this network has taken since the merger and simply hunt for this crap.

Still, judging by all the XBox mentions and complete lack of mentioning PCs (Except for his prior resume mentioning IT/Programming), it looks like they got the perfect guy to fill their demo. If you believe his prior work experience, he's probably qualified to host the TSS of old; but looking at all the XBox references, the producers/management made it real clear where his interests should lie. I guess TSS is going to be yet another show on the network with a priority on consoles and a younger skewing audience.

Whatever happened to the glory days of Leo and Kate?

By the way, what does the set look like? Anything like the old one, or completely redesigned?
Old 09-08-04, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new set looks like a retro-60's thing. Blech.

Alex will take some getting used to.

I was really hoping the Stan Lee interview would of been longer.
Old 09-08-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't mind the set.

I miss Leo
Old 09-08-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't stand the new guy. When he was telling what his background is and he said "And I do some improv," it told you everything you need to know. Everything out of his mouth is an attempt at a joke, like he's performing rather than hosting a show.
Old 09-08-04, 06:11 PM

Yeah, the new guy isn't my cup of tea, either. Sad to see that "foo" made the new roster; that guy is worthless.
Old 09-08-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
When TechTV turned into G4TechTV, for some reason my cable company (Adelphia) decided to move it to a higher cable tier and I lost it a few weeks later. Not much of a loss, I guess. And I used to love that show, and even though most of the tech knowledge wasn't very useful to me, personally, I liked the interaction and the presentation.
Old 09-08-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least Foo is genuine, even if he is worthless

This guy sounds like everybody else the G4TV had... people who look like they'd appeal to a teen demographic.

And everything else Coladar said is true
Old 09-09-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by coladar
Whatever happened to the glory days of Leo and Morgan?

Fixed
Old 09-09-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw Wednesday's show, but not Tuesday's. The new guy didn't do a whole lot, just played host, so I don't have much of an impression of him other than he and Kevin may be too similar, but I doubt he knows as much as Kevin. I liked the odd couple dynamic with Leo and Patrick. I never had a problem with Kevin or Sarah, but Kevinand Sarah can get a little obnoxious every now and then.

I like Yoshi's segments, but they're going to be doing them every day now? Today he did antiquing on a computer speaker and gamepad! I'll watch The Learning Channel for that, thank you. As long as they keep getting guests like Steve Wozniak and Burt Munroy I'll keep recording it and skip past the phone calls and lame looking segments.
Old 09-09-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Roto

As long as they keep getting guests like Steve Wozniak and Burt Munroy I'll keep recording it and skip past the phone calls and lame looking segments.
As long as they don't let Steve Wozniak host again I think they will be ok. He might be a computer genius but he can't read a teleprompter for shit.
Old 09-09-04, 09:23 AM

I'd rather they have more Woz, and less "giz wiz" guy, who gets excited over things most 8 year olds would think were stupid.
Old 09-09-04, 10:23 AM

I loved on the first show back when Kevin introduced Foo as having had " a summer of teleprompter lessons."

New guy = eh.
Old 09-09-04, 12:25 PM
Suspended

I stopped watching when they got rid of Leo & made those two nasty lovebirds hosts. Now they get rid of Patrick?
Old 09-09-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MJKTool
I stopped watching when they got rid of Leo & made those two nasty lovebirds hosts. Now they get rid of Patrick?
They didn't get rid of Patrick he just quit because he didn't want to move. Well shit Pat what else do you have to do?
Old 09-09-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kate & Leo> Leo & Pat> Leo & Random guest host> Leo & Megan Morrone (who was pretty good at hosting I thought)>Pat & random guest host.

I never did really like Kevin. He just seemed "too cool for school" for me. And his girlfriend? Ugh, when they are together...the worst. I've long since stopped watching which is sad as this used to be one of my favorite shows. I think there biggest problem was acting like going for a younger audience meant they had to dumb the show down. I don't see them having scientist and astronomers on the show anymore. Hell I don't see them having anyone on the show over 40 years old for that matter.
Old 09-09-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How can you rank Random Guest Host ahead of Megan Morrone and then say she was good? I thought she was good too, but she left voluntarily. She actually knew her stuff.

I never got to see the show pre-Leo & Pat, but there's no question that since I started watching it, it got worse with every change they made. They kept losing their people to other shows on the channel and then they wouldn't replace them with anybody. Martin left, nobody replaced him. They replaced Morgan with Jessica but nobody replaced her. Kevin moves into Leo's spot, but he used to be on the phones with Dan. The show is a lot more interesting the more people they have on set. Now they're down to 4 or 5, with Kevin living with one of them and dating another
Old 09-09-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
Well shit Pat what else do you have to do?
Get married to a woman who might have a better-paying job than what G4Tech-TV was willing to offer. Not to mention I would pick living in northern California/San Fransisco over La-La Land any day.

Although I can't help but wonder if Patrick really left voluntarily. The way G4 is skewing towards younger, dumber and "hipper," I can't help but think Patrick is too old for their demographic and this new idiot is just what they were looking for.
Old 09-09-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
a shell of it's former self. Haven't seen the new one's yet. But the only way I tolerated Kevin was because Patrick was still on. They spread themselves too thin taking the hosts and trying to make other shows hits. What ever happened to Chris Patillo? He was annoying but, at least he knew what he was doing up there.

Did X-play really need Morgan? Not really, anyone could have filled that seat. Hell Adam can handle that by himself. They act too goofy together.

All the other shows seem to be geared towards at teen crowd. Which is a shame.
Old 09-10-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Roto
How can you rank Random Guest Host ahead of Megan Morrone and then say she was good? I thought she was good too, but she left voluntarily. She actually knew her stuff.

I never got to see the show pre-Leo & Pat, but there's no question that since I started watching it, it got worse with every change they made. They kept losing their people to other shows on the channel and then they wouldn't replace them with anybody. Martin left, nobody replaced him. They replaced Morgan with Jessica but nobody replaced her. Kevin moves into Leo's spot, but he used to be on the phones with Dan. The show is a lot more interesting the more people they have on set. Now they're down to 4 or 5, with Kevin living with one of them and dating another
I put Megan behind because when she hosted (what was it like maybe 10 times or so? bit more maybe?) she was really nervous (visible hand shaking and trembling voice on a couple of the eps). More so in the beginning, which is understandable. If they let her do it a bit more (instead of random guest host) I think she would have grown into it a lot better because she got better with each hosting gig. I was a big fan of hers (she being my favorite personality from the show) so theres no hating going on here just my op. It is kind of nice to see a person pick there family (for those that don't know she left because she wanted to stay home and raise her kid) over work though so she gets my total respect in that regard.

You are absolutely right about the show working better with more people on the show. Especially when Pat & Leo would get stumped and someone would yell out the answer to the callers question. More minds made it more interesting. Plus there were more segments. Megan had her thing, Jess had hers, Martin his...etc. Now it just feels generic adn bland.

BTW the channel isn't total shit. Icons is a really interesting show(wish it was an hour long and more indepth). Pulse is ok though they got rid of that funny guy and replaced him with some woman which sucks. They should have nixed the blonde guy, kept the funny guy and added the woman. X-Play gets the award for most improved show. But thats just three shows on a 18-20 hour a day cable channel. Thats not enough. Why they wouldn't embrace PC's, gadgetry, and just technology as a whole to fill out there programming (instead of just console gaming) is beyond me.

Tommy Tellorico<sp> is the major suxors though.
Old 09-10-04, 09:44 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Get married to a woman who might have a better-paying job than what G4Tech-TV was willing to offer. Not to mention I would pick living in northern California/San Fransisco over La-La Land any day.

Although I can't help but wonder if Patrick really left voluntarily. The way G4 is skewing towards younger, dumber and "hipper," I can't help but think Patrick is too old for their demographic and this new idiot is just what they were looking for.
Leo has stated many times on his message boards that he and Patrick were not offered contracts with G4, basically because they were too old and not "sexy" enough for the G4 demographic.

Patrick is currently writing for extremetech.com.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.