Reload this Page >

Dead Like Me- Rites of Passage 9/5/04

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-06-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to to say that if you have Showtime and didn't catch it Sunday, be sure to watch this episode Monday, Friday or Saturday when they rerun it. I thought this was the best one they've done since the pilot.
Old 09-06-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It certainly was one of the best.

I love this show!
Old 09-06-04, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely the best yet. My husband made a remark after the show that they just keep getting better each episode. I really hope this show stays around for a long time.
Old 09-06-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts
One thing though -- did they forget that living people don't see the reapers as they did when they were alive? Because George's "Millie" look is a pretty unattractive woman, and they were all acting like everyone would see her as George.
Old 09-06-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When's the last time they actually showed her reflection anyway? I think they are just avoiding that idea as much as they can, which I think is fine. I barely remember what Millie looks like, but I didn't catch the last couple episodes before this one.

Maybe Millie cleans up well. She should still look like she's 18 or 19.
Old 09-06-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking the same thing....Millie looked like a crack whore, but everyone this season seems to be very attracted to her....I.E. the guy she trained, the computer guy and the guys at the concert
Old 09-06-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also...why when Mason shot himself many episodes back, he was howling in pain? He's a reaper, why would he feel physical pain? George got her finger cut off and Daisy stabs her hand, but no pain.

I just thought that was odd.
Old 09-06-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Also...why when Mason shot himself many episodes back, he was howling in pain? He's a reaper, why would he feel physical pain? George got her finger cut off and Daisy stabs her hand, but no pain.

I just thought that was odd.
Mason is a wuss.

Seriously, I think they feel pain. But they heal fast.
Old 09-07-04, 03:34 AM

There were even a few episodes last season where George was treated like the hottie she really is. As long as we don't have to see ugly Millie again, it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 09-07-04, 07:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree that this was one of the better episodes. One of the reasons is that there was more focus on the reapers, and not as much on George's family.

I really like what they've done with the character of Daisy so far this season.
Old 09-07-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm actually kind of undecided as to whether I think Ellen Muth is gorgeous or not...OTOH, Laura Harris is a truly breathtaking woman, and I'm not a guy who normally likes classic blondes.

But yeah, they're finally giving Daisy a little more interesting plots. The whole "I slept with [famous film star of the 1920s]" routine was getting boring quickly.
Old 09-07-04, 12:30 PM

According to my tivo, Rebecca Gayhart is in the next two episodes and Laura Harris is not. I hope that's a glitch in the guide. I really like Daisy.
Old 09-07-04, 12:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Could it be that the next two episodes are repeats?
Old 09-07-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed. Daisy is much more interesting now. I didn't like her character at all in the first season. They've improved Roxy a bit too. They aren't so one dimensional anymore.
Old 09-07-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Betty > Daisy
Old 09-08-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by KirstenS
According to my tivo, Rebecca Gayhart is in the next two episodes and Laura Harris is not. I hope that's a glitch in the guide. I really like Daisy.
I think that's a screw-up in the description. The last two (this week's and last week's) that I have on my Tivo also say Rebecca Gayheart, and she wasn't in either ep.

This ep was cool. I have liked every ep so far this season. I think Reapers still feel pain. I remember George swearing a lot (in pain?) when she took her finger off, and also when Rube pulled that thing out of her stomach when the sign fell on that guy at the Waffle House.

I like the family stuff more now that Clancy is gone. It was really getting old when they were all just bitching at each other all the time. The redhead that was friends with the rock star wasn't the girl from Starship Troopers, was she? Dizz, or whatever her name was?

X
Old 09-08-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Xander
... The redhead that was friends with the rock star wasn't the girl from Starship Troopers, was she? Dizz, or whatever her name was?

X
No, that wasn't Dina Meyer (who was also in the short-lived Birds of Prey TV series and a bunch of Miss Match episodes.).
Old 09-10-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I didn't like Daisy at first either, but her character is a lot more fleshed out now. Watching a few episodes from S1, I think I like Daisy better than Betty now.
While I don't mind Clancy being gone, I think that was a part of the suspense, and seeing how the death of a child can affect a marriage [especially one that wasn't all that solid before]. Would they patch things up, make it work, or was it over? I think when they were in the car looking for JD, that was probably the signal it was over.
I also like that we're seeing another side of Delores now. No one can be that happy all the time, and it takes energy to make yourself happy sometimes.
And 'Millie' did look like a junkie when we first saw her, but while George isn't focused on appearance like Daisy, I'm sure she keeps herself reasonably taken care of; 'Millie' wasn't ugly, she was just worn-out in that first shot of her.
Old 09-10-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That "rock star" was about the worst singer I have ever heard. Really bad casting, that. Was a good episode otherwise, but I had to suspend all kinds of disbelief that this guy was revered as a singer.
Old 09-10-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by dtcarson
I didn't like Daisy at first either, but her character is a lot more fleshed out now. Watching a few episodes from S1, I think I like Daisy better than Betty now.
While I don't mind Clancy being gone, I think that was a part of the suspense, and seeing how the death of a child can affect a marriage [especially one that wasn't all that solid before]. Would they patch things up, make it work, or was it over? I think when they were in the car looking for JD, that was probably the signal it was over.
I also like that we're seeing another side of Delores now. No one can be that happy all the time, and it takes energy to make yourself happy sometimes.
And 'Millie' did look like a junkie when we first saw her, but while George isn't focused on appearance like Daisy, I'm sure she keeps herself reasonably taken care of; 'Millie' wasn't ugly, she was just worn-out in that first shot of her.
I forgot to mention Delores. I LOVE her. Ever since they moved away from her being the happy-all-the-time-boss-lady type person, she has been fucking hilarious.

X
Old 09-11-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
That "rock star" was about the worst singer I have ever heard. Really bad casting, that. Was a good episode otherwise, but I had to suspend all kinds of disbelief that this guy was revered as a singer.
Haven't been paying attention to pop music lately, have you?
Old 09-11-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dstrauss
Haven't been paying attention to pop music lately, have you?
He almost made John Mayer seem talented.

Old 09-13-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
That might not be that bad, at least he sang his own stuff, and while I don't usually judge by appearances, I find it hard to believe Badnar and the Satan Gang would go to a concert like that.