Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

reVIEW: Jersey Girl

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
reVIEW: Jersey Girl

NOTE: This is pretty extensive and a bit lengthy so you might want to, you know, grab a coffee or go to the can before proceeding.

Jersey Girl (2004)*
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director: Kevin Smith
Staring: Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, George Carlin,
Jason Biggs and some J-Lo chick

Length: 102 min
Rated: PG-13 (For language and sexual content)
Extras: Audio commentary with director Kevin Smith and star Ben Affleck
Audio commentary with Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier and Jason Mewes
2 featurettes | Five of Smith’s Roadside Attraction shorts filmed
for the Tonight Show | Interview with Smith and Affleck
Text Interviews with Cast and Crew | Sneak Peeks

Background:
Much has been said, most from director Kevin Smith himself, about the theatrical failure of Jersey Girl. It would appear that the film was doomed from the start when Smith stated that he had retired the popular Jay and Silent Bob characters fans adored and would be venturing down a different path. Many fans online voiced their disdain from the outset or outright didn’t believe Smith would actually go through with a film without Jay and Bob. Once he did and Jersey girl was in the works without the lovable stoners, the outcry grew louder. All this before Jennifer Lopez was cast and the entire Bennifer fiasco gave birth to a media nightmare for Smith and a film he was describing as one of his most personal to date. Comparisons to Chasing Amy were made from the get go and, despite fan quibbles, anticipation grew for the first Jay and Silent Bob’less Smith film. By the time of the film’s release Smith was inundated with press up the wazzo! Not since Dogma had the mainstream media thundered down on a Kevin Smith project. Sadly, though, this is what may have attributed to the downfall of the film’s theatrical release.

During the filming of Jersey Girl Affleck and Lopez would become a very public item in the mainstream media and at times it seemed as though you could not switch on the news without hearing about the couple and what they were doing next. Lopez even placed Affleck in one of her music videos. The sensation became known as Bennifer. It was also around this time that another film staring Affleck and Lopez stunk up cinemas the world over. Gigli would become a huge turkey for the pair and the ridicule poured in: "A grade-A misfire, fantastically uninvolving, a cinematic train wreck of slacked-jawed, distinguished proportions" (Entertainment Today), "One of the worst movies I've ever seen" (Ebert & Roper), "Such an utter wreck of a movie you expect to see it lying on its side somewhere in rural Pennsylvania, with a small gang of engineers circling and a wisp of smoke rising from the caboose" (Newark Star-Ledger) were just some of the many remarks by critics. Unfortunately for Kevin Smith it seemed that each time Gigli was mentioned Jersey Girl followed close behind.

With an estimated budget of $35 million, Jersey Girl would go on to make a feeble $25 million at the box office. “The fact that we did $25 Million, definitely Gigli had an effect,” Smith said in an interview with DVDtalk. “In that period when I was in a funk, I wanted to find someone to blame, because I know I did my job.”

Even reviews of the film could not keep the Gigli debacle out of it as this excerpt from Rolling Stone displays: "Affleck is modest and engaging, which keeps the movie out of Gigli territory. But it's close." Yet, all reviews for the film were not terrible ones and many bad ones even gave the film some merit ("Big, gooey (but often likable) misfire" from the Chicago Tribune). Roger Ebert would even go on to the give the film 3 ½ stars saying “Smith is a gifted writer and I believe he knew exactly what he was doing by assembling these old reliables. I'm not sure he couldn't have done better, but by then we like the characters so much that we give the school play a pass.”

So, with all the bad press surrounding it, Bennifer and the fan’s complaints how does the film stand up?

The Film:
The film grabs its name from the touching Tom Waits song (which is on the soundtrack performed by Jersey native Bruce Springsteen) and is not to be confused with the 1992 release of the same name. The story revolves around Olie (Affleck), an overworked publicist in New York, and his daughter (newcomer Raquel Castro). Olie is forced into single parenthood when tragedy befalls the family (although most viewers may consider said tragedy the best part of the film). Olie slowly begins to breakdown and he is forced to move in with his father (Carlin) for support after the loss of his job. Still struggling to be the best possible dad he meets Maya (Tyler), a local video store clerk, who catches Olie in a rather embarrassing moment. She is blunt and curt and beautiful and eventually the two begin a flowering relationship that transcends their hardships and Olie, with a new love and his daughter, begins to regain his life, meandering around the curves it has tossed him, down another path.

One could compare that new path in life the character of Olie takes to the one Smith takes as a director with this film. It was certainly a bold move with the characters of Jay and Bob riding such a high wave after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Smith would meander around his own curves with fans and in the media with the film, reportedly cutting down scenes with Lopez in response, and still continue to promote this personal film.

Indeed, this is a different Kevin Smith we see in the directing of this film. The plot may not be exceptionally unique but Smith breaths life into it with sincerity and warmth, not to mention those funny moments (read: the masturbation conversation in the diner- "Good God, you'll get carple tunnel syndrome!") that Smith writes so easily in between the more touching aspects of the film. Smith, known for his static shots, starts to move his camera more freely then in past flicks and right from the opening sweep of the camera pushing through the snow into, through a window and into a Christmas party scene we realize that this is something new for the director.

There are many moments in Jersey Girl where you may feel as though you are watching an ABC Movie of the Week although Smith’s wit and humor save it from plunging headlong into After School Special territory. Castro’s performance, as well, makes many of the more cliché scenes bearable. More so then the great chemistry Tyler and Affleck share (these are much better performances from the two then their scenes in Armageddon), Castro’s showing steals the film from the big name talent and you cannot help but fall in love with her. Affleck does a great job in this picture and shows how he is underrated as a comedic and even dramatic lead. His chemistry with Tyler, as stated, is great and plays well to the romance in the story. Carlin, as well, is finally given a larger part in a Smith flim and his performance is somewhat sprinkled about the film and leaves you wanting more of him. The early scenes where he is attempting to wake his son up to his responsability ("Be a father, shithead!") are mingled in with rather humorous bits ("No whores...I don't want any whores here.") and give Carlin a chance to show off his range as a performer. This character could have been all about the gags with the child but Smith allows Carlin room to move a bit. There are Smith even peppers in his usual references ("Punch it, Chewie!") that should get a laugh out of even the most die-hard fans despite what they feel about the film.

Many of the better reviews for the film were quick to point out that Smith is growing as a filmmaker and Jersey Girl shows this. Sweet, funny and often heartbreaking, this is a very charming romantic comedy about personal growth and the place life chooses to place us, not where we choose to be. Although it is easy to see where fans of Smith’s other works could be turned off by the film, it certainly deserves much more then it has been given. After the storm of Bennifer has faded the film will stand out as a true testament to Smith’s ability to tell a good story without the crass humor we’ve come to expect and create interesting characters that are more then just a disgruntled video store clerk but growing individuals dealing with life’s curves and twists hoping to come out clean on the other side. A fine outing for Smith on this bold new path as a director and truly a sweet little slice of cinema.

The DVD:
The disc is packaged in a single case sporting the original theatrical poster art on the cover (NOTE: This is the Canadian release cover. The American release adds the rest of the main cast to the cover with a small shot of Smith in the corner. I prefer the Canadian art here as the American art seems a bit cluttered) with the insert providing chapter stops and a few stills from the film. The actual disc art is a shot of Affleck and Tyler with Castro looking on.

The DVD starts off with trailers for Finding Neveland and Shall We Dance? which you can skip over. A nice little skyline is sketched out on the menu screen and it transforms into an outline for the state of New Jersey with a bit of the film’s soundtrack playing in the background and parts of the film playing on either side of the title. You are given 5 options: Play Movie, Special Features, Setup, Scene Selection and Sneak Peeks (which contain the same trailers for Finding Neverland and Shall We Dance? but adds Dear Frankie, Raising Helen and The Alamo). The Sneak Peeks feature has a Play All option should, you know, you want to sit through all the previews. The menu screens provide nicely presented stills as background except for the Sneak Peeks (which gives you about a million graphics of a baby).

Picture: 2.35:1 (although there is a misprint on the back of the Canadian cover stating 1:85:1) widescreen enhanced for 16x9 TVs - The picture was nice and sharp on my TV with the vibrant colors of certain scenes in the film popping out in a beautiful display. This is certainly one of Smith’s best looking films (and the camera MOVES!) and it comes off well on the DVD presentation.

Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1 audio – This is not a sound effects laden film but the mix is appropriate for the production with the surrounds creeping in now and again and the music sounding superb on my system. You’re not watching Jersey Girl for it’s sound effects and most should be satisfied with a mix that compliments the film.

The Extras:
Feature Commentary Tracks
Before each track you are given a blurb stating how the commentary track is for “entertainment purposes only” and that “the views and opinions expressed therein” are not representing Buena Vista, Disney and yada, yada, yada. Onto the good stuff!

Feature Commentary with writer/director Kevin Smith and Actor Ben Affleck: Kevin begins by telling us this is the “alternative” commentary track to the DVD and reminds us we still have the Mosier and Mewes track to listen to. This is a rather light hearted, fun track –as Smith commentaries are- and we are not even 2 minutes into the film when Smith and Affleck start talking about making out with each other. Lopez’s contribution to the film is not even touched upon during her short scenes as the two talk about the press, dogs drinking out of the toilet and Smith provides insight on the joys of having a pregnant wife who uses his hairbrush. “It was a tough year for you,” Smith says of Affleck and this kicks off the inevitable Bennifer discussion. Affleck sums it up best with this quote: “It was a relationship that really captivated a tiny segment of the population and just irritated the shit out of everybody else.” Affleck basically lets us know that he has moved on and so should everybody else. This topic takes up a good portion of the first 40-50 minutes of the commentary with Kevin saying he does not regret casting Lopez and that she gave a great performance. I had to question Smith's comment refering to the poor opening weekend of the film (“Who will remember the opening weekend of Citizen Kane”) as first weekend box office was certainly not cast in the same ludicrous light as it is today but complaints are few. Overall, this commentary provides some laughs and chuckles with bits and pieces of insight on the making of the film along the way. Smith commentaries are not known for their technical perspective on filmmaking and this one is no different but fans of Smith commentaries will enjoy the shits and giggles.

Commentary with Smith, Producer Scott Mosier and Special Guest Jason Mewes: Mewes' voice at the start of the commentary will be welcome to fans as, despite not being in the film (although you get to see a new animated version in the new View Askew logo at the start of the film), he is tacked onto this track one has to think to entice Jay and Bob fans to snag the DVD. Kevin calls him “the voice of the viewer”. Mewes serves as a moderator of sorts to the track asking questions to Smith and Moiser throughout the proceedings. He also provides some words on his drug addiction and the warrant for his arrest which prevented him from playing the role that was eventually given to Jason Biggs. Mosier and Smith take a moment to applaud Mewes for a year of sobriety and the conversation moves into talk on the film. This track has a lot more about the technical aspect of filming Jersey Girl. The group comment on props, various shots, camera moves and the cast in greater detail then the Affleck track. Smith goes on to reference some of the terrible reviews the film received although defends himself by adding that many of the critics who disliked the Jay and Bob films enjoyed Jersey Girl. Mewes ogles over Tyler in the track although Smith informs him that he is not her type. I expected this track to be more of the laid back group commentary track Smith DVDs are famous for but was surprised to find not only that but a nice perspective on the making of the film. Don’t get me wrong, though, the fun and laughs still prevail. Mewes is a welcome addition.

Roadside Attractions with Kevin Smith (As Seen on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno”: These are 5 short films Smith made for The Tonight Show between December 2001 and the summer of 2002 detailing Smith's travels throughout America (another film Smith did for Leno, The Flying Car featuring the return of Dante and Randal from CLERKS, will be on the CLERKS 10th Anniversary DVD).
Upstate New York (aired December 11, 2001): Kevin goes to the world’s tiniest church (“No world’s smallest bingo game?”) where he asks the proprietor if he has even seen Dogma. When he says that he hasn’t Kevin responds that that is probably for the best. He then heads to some diamond mines and Howe Caverns where he finds Titan’s boob. Finally, Kevin stops at Lake Onandaga for a Christmas display spectacular. This is easily my favorite of the bunch.
Orlando, Florida (aired April 4, 2002): Smith visits the Gatorland Zoo where he wrestles a gator in an epic battle before heading to Wonderworks where he challenges a chicken to a tic tac toe match.
Tampa Florida (aired May 17, 2002): Smith finds himself in Weekie Wachee to gaze at some mermaids and manages to find a place to get in a Jaws reference. Next up was Orangeworld in Kissimmee and a giant orange before heading over to Gibsonton and a visit with some circus “folks”. Kevin makes a stop at the water-skiing capital of the world which provides a hilarious segment with Smith edited into various parts of a promotional video.
Seattle, Washington (aired July 12, 2002): Stops at the Pike Street Fish market, the Giant Shoe Museum, Ye Olde Curiosity Shop and the Fremont Troll are included in this outing with the highlight of the short being a visit to the first Starbucks where Kevin tries coffee for the “first time” and becomes the Greatest American Hero complete with a flight around the Space Needle!
On The Set of Jersey Girl: Not so much a Roadside Attraction as a promotional piece for the film we join Smith and wife Jennifer who provide us with an introduction to a segment of interviews with cast and crew. Basically just a much funnier version of your usual EPK.

These are a nice addition to the DVD and while the first four have nothing to do with the film they are often side splittingly humorous looks at Kevin on the road. You can view each separately or play them all.

From Mallrats to Jersey Girl: Kevin Smith and Ben Affleck Talk Shop: This is basically a sit down interview detailing Affleck’s history with Smith with various clips of him in Smith’s other films tossed in. Some of this stuff is already covered on the commentary track. Clocking in at just about 30 minutes it runs a little long and covers similar ground from not only on the Jersey Girl commentary track but other Smith commentaries as well. It does give Affleck a bit more of a spotlight, however, to speak on Mallrats, Chasing Amy and Dogma (those discs were more of a large group affair for the commentaries) and we see, once again, just how funny Affleck can be. Affleck also talks about playing himself in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and about the good-natured ribbing he took in the film. Stick Smith and Affleck together and the laughs will flow in steady progression and it is no different here. Could have been shorter but another good addition to the disc.

Behind The Scenes of Jersey Girl: Standard EPK that includes interviews with all the principals. It is rather littered with clips from other Smith films as well as Jersey girl and not as funny as the Roadside Attraction piece. More serious interviews are seen here. Pretty standard promotional piece you probably won’t rewatch like you will the other behind the scenes feature on the disc.

Text Interviews with Cast and Crew: These are various interviews you can read detailing various aspects of the film. I found this feature to be a bit hard on the eyes but I never was a fan of reading material on my television. Interviews with Smith, Affleck, Tyler, Carlin, Castro, Matt Damon (who has a brief cameo in the film with Jason Lee), Mosier, Cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, Production Designer Robert “Ratface” Holtzman and Costume Designer Juliet Polcsa are provided with an introduction. Interesting extra but certainly not one I will return to.

Summary:
The DVD is a wonderful compliment to Smith’s film and should even satisfy diehard fan who didn’t particularly enjoy the feature. There are enough laughs and fun here to compare it to other jam-packed releases from View Askew. Hopefully the features are enough to entice those who may have snubed the film in theaters to give it a second chance.

3 Buddy Christs:

End Note:
Smith announced earlier this month plans to bring Jay and Silent Bob back in a sequel to his first, and arguably most popular, film CLERKS. Although Smith claims that the reaction to Jersey girl did not spark the decision to return to his roots it is a little difficult to believe that it at least somewhat motivated it. The film will pick up 10 years after we last left Randal and Dante and will be a more “mature” comedy about the lives of 30 something males who just have to grow up. “Oh, who am I kidding?” says Smith in a post to fans on his website, “This flick makes me so happy, I'm not even bothered by the bitching (could still be even happier without it, though). I'm in love with this flick. If other folks aren't, I can't really say I'm concerned.”

One can’t help but wonder if the “bitching” Smith is referring to stems from the backlash to Jersey Girl. At any rate, though this reviewer is elated that Smith is returning to the characters that made him popular, I hope he has not given up on going down other roads as a director. Though Jersey Girl may have failed in theaters it is truly a charming little film and shows that Smith is not a one-trick-dick-and-fart-joke-pony.

*My user name holds no bias to the film. I went in hating it like everybody else.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 09-07-04 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-05-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picture: 1:85:1 widescreen enhanced for 16x9 TVs - The picture was nice and sharp on my TV with the vibrant colors of certain scenes in the film popping out in a beautiful display.
Are you sure the DVD is 1.85:1? I recall seeing the film in theaters containing the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
Old 09-06-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Are you sure the DVD is 1.85:1? I recall seeing the film in theaters containing the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
I'll have to check again on the back of the box (where I got the information). Might be a misprint. Indeed, acording to imdb, the film is 2.35 :1. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-06-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
After checking the back of the case once again I can confirm that it, indeed, says 1.85:1. (NOTE: This is the back of the Canadian case for the film and I don't have the American case for reference)
Old 09-06-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent review. simple
Old 09-06-04, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
After checking the back of the case once again I can confirm that it, indeed, says 1.85:1. (NOTE: This is the back of the Canadian case for the film and I don't have the American case for reference)
But what does the screen tell you? As a rule of thumb, it's a bad idea to take Alliance packaging at face value. They don't list a DTS track as being on GANGS OF NEW YORK, for instance.

Also, since 2002, Alliance discs of Miramax product are the actual Miramax platters with new art silkscreened onto them, so this is definitely a misprint. (I've seen screencaps of the Miramax DVD, and it's unquestionably 'scope.)

Bill C
Old 09-07-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by flmfreakcentral
But what does the screen tell you? As a rule of thumb, it's a bad idea to take Alliance packaging at face value. They don't list a DTS track as being on GANGS OF NEW YORK, for instance.

Also, since 2002, Alliance discs of Miramax product are the actual Miramax platters with new art silkscreened onto them, so this is definitely a misprint. (I've seen screencaps of the Miramax DVD, and it's unquestionably 'scope.)

Bill C
Indeed. The review has been changed to reflect this.
Old 09-07-04, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

can't wait to see this movie. Good review
Old 09-08-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Someone called "ViewAskewbian" liked a Kevin Smith movie? Shocking!
Old 09-11-04, 02:11 PM
Banned

nice review ill rent it i held off on seeing it in theatres cause of bad reviews and friends telling me not to see it.
Old 09-12-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
I'll have to check again on the back of the box (where I got the information). Might be a misprint. Indeed, acording to imdb, the film is 2.35 :1. Thanks for the heads up!
Thank you!! When I got it home and put it on, I was having a fit because I thought something was wrong with my TV or DVD player. Is the misprint only on the Canadian version, because I bought mine at Target in NYC, and it says that its 1.85:1 as well??
Old 09-12-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
Thank you!! When I got it home and put it on, I was having a fit because I thought something was wrong with my TV or DVD player. Is the misprint only on the Canadian version, because I bought mine at Target in NYC, and it says that its 1.85:1 as well??
Well, that is certainly interesting. I did not have access to the US cover so the "misprint?" there certainly leads to question. At any rate, IMDB states the correct aspect ratio. Very odd.
Old 09-16-04, 11:51 AM
Banned

i saw it and it was a pretty good movie my whole family liked it. thanks for the review.
Old 09-16-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cornholio
i saw it and it was a pretty good movie my whole family liked it. thanks for the review.
My wife and I watched the movie, we both thought some of the conversations were to muture for younger kids. We both thought the whole family could watch it, after watching it we decided not to let the 9 and 12 year old watch it.

So, beware if you think this just a little kiddie movie. More mature than kiddie/family movie.