Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TRAILER: "The Motorcycle Diaries"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So tonight I was chomping down on my Big Mac at the McDonald's in our local mall here when I saw this hot young blonde there with yet another Che shirt on, a nice pink and tightly-fitted one at that. Che would've been proud. This got me thinking, "Hmmm....there must be some movie coming out or something?" Came home, did some searching and sure enough, there are not one but TWO NEW BIOPIC MOVIES COMING OUT!!! Here's the new trailer for The Motorcycle Diaries, which I'd read a while ago and remember enjoying as an informative and even quite fun travel-guide through many parts of South America. Since this is from FOCUS, anyone know if it's going to be just a limited release or not?

Trailer: http://www.motorcyclediariesmovie.co...er.php?lang=en

I kinda wish I approached that girl and asked her her thoughts on the renowned Argentinian doctor, revolutionary and eventual mass murderer. Stupid broad.

Last edited by Rivero; 09-03-04 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the film a week ago at a film festival (Espoo Ciné) here in Finland. It was a delight. It offers a pleasingly different view of young Guevara and does do a lot to separate the myth from the man, which makes the film essential viewing for those individuals trying to make a fashion/political statement by wearing a Che shirt. Though no mention is made in the narrative of the medical student's future as a revolutionary, the story carries a certain poignancy because in every scene the viewer is acutely aware of what will come to pass. Plus it's a road movie, and set in Latin America to boot - who can resist?

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 09-03-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I saw the film a week ago at a film festival (Espoo Ciné) here in Finland. It was a delight. It offers a pleasingly different view of young Guevara and does do a lot to separate the myth from the man, which makes the film essential viewing for those individuals trying to make a fashion/political statement by wearing a Che shirt. Though no mention is made in the narrative of the medical student's future as a revolutionary, the story carries a certain poignancy because in every scene the viewer is acutely aware of what will come to pass. Plus it's a road movie, and set in Latin America to boot - who can resist?
So how "political" would you say the film is, I know that's a broad question. And do you get to see any of Peru during it?
Old 09-03-04, 09:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought I have been hearing that this film really isn't getting positive reviews, specifically in that it's just mediocre
Old 09-03-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw a preview for this before Garden State. I thought it looked good, but haven't read any reviews. Rotten Tomatoes only has 11 reviews, but its avg is 8.1 w/ 91% fresh.
Old 09-03-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
So how "political" would you say the film is, I know that's a broad question.
It's not so much political as socially conscious, and the issue of class-related separation and oppression only becomes a central theme towards the end. Most importantly, it's never heavy-handed, though Guevara's intentions are spelled out clearly in the end - but then, he was probably very open about them himself. His sympathetic nature towars the lower classes and the discriminated is never unbelievable, not least because it's a common trait in us idealistic, if a little naive, young men.

Again, the film works so wondefully well partly because the audience comes in with all, most, or some (depending on the viewer) of the information about Guevara's political actions, so the film merely needs to hint at them. Its subtlety and effortlessness are its highpoints.
And do you get to see any of Peru during it?
Yes, and it represents a pivotal point in the story. The Machu Picchu scene is perhaps the most magical one in the film; it's certainly a climax of sorts.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 09-03-04 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-04-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice, Rivero got himself suspended.

I saw this trailer during my first watching of Garden State - looked interesting enough, considering I know nothing of this guy.