Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Differences between Day of Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences between Day of Dead?

I see that a new Day of the Dead dvd is coming out on 9-7. Does anybody know what the difference is between this release and the current Divimax release? My only guess is that this is a single disc release. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks
Old 09-02-04, 04:56 PM

Re: Differences between Day of Dead?

Originally posted by aa-dvd
My only guess is that this is a single disc release.
Yes.
Old 09-02-04, 05:16 PM

Yep, it appears to be simply Disc 1 of the Divimax 2 disc SE. I am eagerly awaiting confirmation of whether or not this single release fixes the audio dub glitches that are on the Divimax Disc 1. I hear talk of that, but we really won't know for sure until someone gets their mitts on it. Frankly, Anchor Bay should offer a free disc replacement for the SE purchasers if it does turn out to be fixed. (and yes I know it's a minor nuisance)
Old 09-02-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Yes, it would be nice if the disc was corrected and a replacement made available. But considering that there were only 2 people on the planet (Loc Nar and myself) who were concerned about it, I doubt that the effort was put into correcting it.
Old 09-02-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sracer
Yes, it would be nice if the disc was corrected and a replacement made available. But considering that there were only 2 people on the planet (Loc Nar and myself) who were concerned about it, I doubt that the effort was put into correcting it.
assuming youre talking about the audio issue, tons of people on every message board complained about that. dont know what youre talking about.
Old 09-02-04, 06:19 PM

what exactly was the audio problem? I can't find anything by searching. Dead is the only searchable word in the title.
Old 09-02-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's just some trivial thing where some guy says something instead of 'sh*t'. Why people would want to trade their DVD for that or even be concerned at all is beyond my comprehension.
Old 09-02-04, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by aa-dvd
what exactly was the audio problem? I can't find anything by searching. Dead is the only searchable word in the title.
Read this: http://www.pulsingcinema.com/feature/dayaudio/ and listen to the sound clips there and you will learn all you need to know.

As to natevines, the problem is more than just one word, as you will see by checking out the site. Things like cutoff gunshots are equally worrisome.

Also, as I said, it is a minor nuisance. However, anyone who collects DVD's has a little OCDemon inside of them and audio glitches like those on this Divimax disc only serve to keep that demon fat, happy, and way too close to the surface.
Old 09-02-04, 08:57 PM

Good comparison clips. Being a fan of Day, I noticed all 6 on my first viewing of the Divimax.

The first 2 (It's crazy and Right) are around 9 min mark, Steele's gunshot around 58 min, It's the Spic - 1:01, Oh Jesus - 1:11, Stuck - 1:20. Not exact but pretty close.

Some may think it's trivial because it's only Day of the Dead. But it annoyed me.
Old 09-02-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
The "Oh Jesus" one is the most annoying and glaring to me. Count me in as someone else who would like a corrected disc.
Old 09-02-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by scarredgod
assuming youre talking about the audio issue, tons of people on every message board complained about that. dont know what youre talking about.
Go do a search on this forum about the issue. You will find that the universally unanimous conclusion was that "it was no big deal".

On the various zombie and horror forums that I follow, no one considered the audio issue to be a problem worth mentioning.
Old 09-03-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a problem worth mentioning, again, every message board i read mentioned this problem. dvdtalk, dvdmaniacs, horrordvds, htf, mhvf etc. including both dvdtalk reviews.

youre right, a huge deal wasnt made about it in terms of a big boycott, but it was indeed mentioned, and most people decided to buy the DVD anyway, which is what usually happens. i would love a replacement for DayOTD and i do believe it calls for it, absolutely.
Old 04-16-07, 10:10 PM

by the way, has someone already confirmed on the forum if the single divimax edition of day of the dead has the audio problems corrected?
Old 04-17-07, 06:53 AM

I hope the new DVD contains an entirely different movie. Day of the Dead was awful.
Old 04-17-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
I hope the new DVD contains an entirely different movie. Day of the Dead was awful.

thanks .. now about that audio problem....
Old 04-17-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If by awful you mean the best of the Romero Zombie movies, then yes, it's truly awful.

I doubt the audio will be fixed. But I am happy with the two disc set as is, It's also on sale right now at DD I believe for pretty cheap.
Old 04-17-07, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
If by awful you mean the best of the Romero Zombie movies, then yes, it's truly awful.

I doubt the audio will be fixed. But I am happy with the two disc set as is, It's also on sale right now at DD I believe for pretty cheap.
Sorry for the threadcrapping, but this is important. How can you tell me Day of the Dead is better than Night of the Living Dead, or even the absurdly overrated Dawn of the Dead? His last zombie movie was better than Day of the Dead.

Day of the Dead was full of a bunch of unlikeable character screaming at eachother. Why is it better than his other ones?
Old 04-17-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
This is why threadcrapping is generally frowned upon. Instead of answering a question about the DVD's audio, it has turned the thread into a "This movie suck!" "No it doesn't!" thread.

Now go draw Green Lantern faster!
Old 04-17-07, 03:25 PM

Oh, so because you think it's important it's not threadcrapping. Right.
Old 04-18-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Sorry for the threadcrapping, but this is important.
Vitally important, clearly. Much more important than discussing the audio problems in a thread about the different DVD releases.

How can you tell me Day of the Dead is better than Night of the Living Dead, or even the absurdly overrated Dawn of the Dead? His last zombie movie was better than Day of the Dead.

Day of the Dead was full of a bunch of unlikeable character screaming at eachother. Why is it better than his other ones?
HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY HAVE AN OPINION WHICH IS DIFFERENT THAN MINE? HOW DARE YOU!!

Sir, I challenge you a duel, pistols at dawn, because there is clearly no other way to settle this very very important matter which is obviously not just a matter of opinion and preference.
Old 04-18-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, nobody can answer the audio question?
Old 04-18-07, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
So, nobody can answer the audio question?
The OP's question? Then the answer is negative. It's just DISC 1 from the 2-disc Divimax set put out a couple years back.

A couple months before the 2-disc was coming out, I seen this play on the Encore channel with the original audio intact. In all honesty, it doesn't even bother me one bit what was changed. I believe they got this audio from a Japanese source?
Old 04-18-07, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Gonvik]The OP's question? Then the answer is negative. It's just DISC 1 from the 2-disc Divimax set put out a couple years back.

Thanks for answering my question!

By the way, it's really funny to see the reaction people have for Day of the Dead. In my opinion, this movie has had to carry the burden of its two predecesors for a long time. My take on it is that it may not be the best of the trilogy but it's oh so very far from being the "awful" movie that some people make it out to be. For the limitations that Romero had with the budget and the change of script, he did a pretty decent movie. As an aside, this may also have Tom Savini's best make-up effects of all the movies that he's worked on. just so incredibly realistic. But obvioulsy for me the movie is much more than that; it's about survival and about the difficulty that human beings have in getting along and relating when put under really stressful circunstances. That may account for the continuous gripe about characters not being likable in this movie. Actually, it's done on purpose. Romero is saying that even Bub may inspire more sympathy from us than these selfish living people.

Hell, I'll take Day of the Dead any day over that overrated Dawn of the Dead remake.
Old 04-18-07, 01:43 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only change that I noticed when I first watched and that really bothers me is the gunshot sound getting cut in half. The other brief dialogue I can understand being different, but the chopped gunshot is pretty sloppy, and seems like it could have been easily fixed.

Last edited by sb5; 04-18-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-18-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.