Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HTIB Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTIB Questions?

Ok. I bought a home theater in a box back in 2001 before I knew anything about home theater sound.
My receiver is not working properly anymore and I need to replace it. Will my existing speakers work fine on a new receiver until I have the money to replace them or should I replace everything at once?
Also, my subwoofer is not powered and uses regular two prong speaker connections to my receiver. Can I still use this on a new receiver or would it need to be replaced with a new sub?
Thanks for you input.

Edit
HTIB is RCA RT2500. Old I know.
My new budget for a receiver is around $500.00

Last edited by RM811; 09-01-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tell us what brand & model numbers are on the equipment and we can answer more easily and be specific.

Sonic
Old 09-01-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Also tell us a budget for replacement
Old 09-01-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You clearly need a new receiver. Your speakers should work with a new receiver. However, I am not sure about the non-powered sub. First, not all receivers can connect to a subwoofer using 2 wires. My Onkyo requires an RCA sub cable. If you do find a receiver that has posts for the sub wires (or can find an adapter) then I expect that it will work fine with a new receiver but keep in mind it will add to the workload of the receiver.

With a $500 budget you should be able to find both a decent receiver and low end POWERED sub. That should set you up for awhile. If your goal is to build a killer surround system one piece at a time then you may want to put the entire $500 towards a receiver and let your fronts do what they can with the bass. Then pick up a sub when you get some extra cash. Then get the remaining speakers here and there as you get more cash.

I actually bought my HTIB so that I can replace individual components one at a time as I got the cash. I could not afford to buy my dream surround system all at once but I can afford to add a piece here and there. I just needed something to start with.

Good luck
Old 09-06-04, 10:43 AM

Re: HTIB Questions?

Originally posted by RM811
Ok. I bought a home theater in a box back in 2001 before I knew anything about home theater sound.
My receiver is not working properly anymore and I need to replace it. Will my existing speakers work fine on a new receiver until I have the money to replace them or should I replace everything at once?
Also, my subwoofer is not powered and uses regular two prong speaker connections to my receiver. Can I still use this on a new receiver or would it need to be replaced with a new sub?
Thanks for you input.

Edit
HTIB is RCA RT2500. Old I know.
My new budget for a receiver is around $500.00
I have the RT2500 speakers set, but not the receiver. My speakers work w/my Pioneer VSX-511 since they accept standard speaker wire. I'm not sure about the sub; I never really used mine. I bought an Sony powered sub.
Old 09-06-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Look on overstock.com There are some good quality Yamaha receivers well under your budget.
Old 09-06-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
If your budget is $500, then the Onkyo HITB is for you.