Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

first Passion... is ommitted from the coming soon page, now...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...it's ommitted from "this weeks notable dvds" column on the front page. The founders true colors are coming through loud and clear. It's mearly mentioned but not linked to buy or a review (I guess this site hasn't reviewed it yet) but Geoff could have put a link to some web site to cash in on it like he does with every other dvd released. Is there any doubt that there will be a huge blurb on the front page when the Micheal Moore movie is gonna come out with links galore? Coincidence? I think not. Geoff has been promoting Moore garbage yet dissing Gibson for his movie. Does dvd talk have a liberal agenda? I'm gonna stop using your links and stop sending my business your way.

Just for the record, I'm not a religious person and I still consider myself a liberal, just not a dumb ass liberal.
Old 08-31-04, 03:34 PM

You have a good point, I just don't think that you expressed it very well.
Old 08-31-04, 03:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wasn't aware that The Passion of the Christ was a political movie.
Old 08-31-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I think this has been covered in Feedback quite thoroughly already. There's no agenda here, it's just the way the site's automated features work.
Old 08-31-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I havew to agree that although I don't think you expressed your viewpoint very well, and posted it in the incorrect forum (should be in forum feedback), you do have a point.

It is rather offensive/obvious that the Passion of the Jew cover art is on the front page, along with the POTC being mentioned several times, yet no direct mention of it being released on 8/31 is contained theirn at all.

In fact, the Passion is used as a sort of joke in the column, as you can see here, if you missed it:

It's like a big white elephant in this week's notable DVDs, either you're thrilled about the DVD release for The Passion or you're not. If you're not, then run, don't walk to get South Park: The Passion of the Jew [Review] - the best and most hilarious commentary on The Passion you'll find. If you want to skip The Passion all together, then check out Jesus Christ Superstar [Review] - a fantastic rock opera by Andrew Lloyd Webberon an excellent DVD. Some people might consider Star Trek The Original Series: Season 1 [Review] - a religious experience and those people have been documented again in Trekkies 2. Other notable DVDs this week include: Lion King II: Simba's Pride: SE [Review] - a solid animated sequel with all the charms of a Disney movie, I Love Lucy: Complete Second Season [Review] - some of the best comedy ever aired on television, and Videodrome: Criterion [Review] - David Cronenberg's 1983 horror film is given the royal Criterion treatment and DVD Talk's Highest Rating . Read our Complete List of Upcoming DVDs for more great DVDs out this week, and visit our DVD Talk Review Database for all the latest reviews including an entire section devoted to reviews of DVDs out this week.
Old 08-31-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I realize that Geoff made it clear that the review database is connected with the New Releases list. Still, the article that is hand written to discuss this weeks "big releases" should contain the Passion, should it not (even if there is no review available)?
Old 08-31-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I wasn't aware that The Passion of the Christ was a political movie.
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that Geoff clearly has an agenda.
Old 08-31-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its a dead giveaway when DVD Talk advertises political documentaries and every single one is liberally biased.

And no The Passion of the Christ is not a political movie but to not see the correllation between that movie and its audience and the political atmosphere is to be blind.
Old 08-31-04, 03:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by purplechoe
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that Geoff clearly has an agenda.
You said he had a liberal agenda, and compared this movie to Moore's films. That strongly implies that you consider The Passion of the Christ to be a political film.
Old 08-31-04, 03:49 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what if he has an agenda or not. It's his website.
Old 08-31-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
You guys can always go back and read my own personal left-wing liberal take on the movie, if it will make you happier:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9716
Old 08-31-04, 03:50 PM

So tell me what is his agenda? Do you really think him posting a link or not posting a link will keep people who want to see/buy this movie from doing so?

Not posting a link to amazon might mean he doesn't make as much money but thats not really our job to worry about.

EDIT: but yes going and reading his review
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9664

It looks like he didn't like the movie much. So someone explain why he should hype it on his web site?

Last edited by MacKenzieIII; 08-31-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: first Passion... is ommitted from the coming soon page, now...

Does dvd talk have a liberal agenda?
...Who cares?
Old 08-31-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What a pointless thread. Purple, I'm surprised by you - and your persnal attack on Kleinman.

There's no conspiracy going on, no matter how much you'd love there to be one... it's that simple. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, Mr. Freud.

Even if there WAS some clandestine agenda... I point you to lotsofdvds' comment.
Originally posted by lotsofdvds
So what if he has an agenda or not. It's his website.
Old 08-31-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, I had never heard of the Passion of the Jew until I read it here. Of course, had I been deserted on a barren island for the past year and then, upon being rescued, got all of my movie news from here I would not know that the Passion of the Christ existed.

At first I thought this was just a big mountain made from a little mole hill but even I've got to admit that I thought when the dvd got released something would have been mentioned about a movie that grossed over 100 million not a direct to dvd cartoon parody.
Old 08-31-04, 03:54 PM
Suspended

I mean really, does this movie need more notice? It made a bazillion dollars and will make a bazillion more on home video.

You knew it was coming out, and you're mad that DVD Talk didn't tell you it was coming out, but yet you already knew it was coming out?
Old 08-31-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by waporvare
Honestly, I had never heard of the Passion of the Jew until I read it here. Of course, had I been deserted on a barren island for the past year and then, upon being rescued, got all of my movie news from here I would not know that the Passion of the Christ existed.

At first I thought this was just a big mountain made from a little mole hill but even I've got to admit that I thought when the dvd got released something would have been mentioned about a movie that grossed over 100 million not a direct to dvd cartoon parody.
Try more like $400 million, so it does seem kind of weird. But the in the end I don't really give a crap.
Old 08-31-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You knew it was coming out, and you're mad that DVD Talk didn't tell you it was coming out, but yet you already knew it was coming out?

it's a CONspiracy..
Old 08-31-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by matome
Try more like $400 million, so it does seem kind of weird. But the in the end I don't really give a crap.
The cartoon made $400 million?!?!?!?
Old 08-31-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This whole web site is a conspiracy. That is why I wrap my head with aluminum foil before logging on. I don't want Geoff stealling my thoughts.

BEST THREAD EVER!
Old 08-31-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean really, does this movie need more notice? It made a bazillion dollars and will make a bazillion more on home video.

So I guess that DVDTalk had two reviews and major coverage for DVD release of Return of the King is just a fluke? Made a bazillion dollars, everyone knew it was coming, DVDTalk should have known it was redundant to say anything and just ignored it.
Old 08-31-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
DVD Talk had reviews for the Jesus Chain Saw Masacre as well when it was in theaters I read them.

This is such a non issue.
Old 08-31-04, 04:05 PM

These threads (here and in the feedback forum) make me think of only one thing:

"Nobody f_cks with the Jesus!"
Old 08-31-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: first Passion... is ommitted from the coming soon page, now...

...it's ommitted from "this weeks notable dvds" column on the front page. The founders true colors are coming through loud and clear. It's mearly mentioned but not linked to buy or a review (I guess this site hasn't reviewed it yet) but Geoff could have put a link to some web site to cash in on it like he does with every other dvd released. Is there any doubt that there will be a huge blurb on the front page when the Micheal Moore movie is gonna come out with links galore? Coincidence? I think not. Geoff has been promoting Moore garbage yet dissing Gibson for his movie. Does dvd talk have a liberal agenda? I'm gonna stop using your links and stop sending my business your way.

Just for the record, I'm not a religious person and I still consider myself a liberal, just not a dumb ass liberal.
Well, you obviously have a conservative agenda. Objectively, how is that any better?
Old 08-31-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
What I conclude from these threads is that partisan politics is turning an ever increasing percentage of the American population into complete lunatics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.