Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

1492: Conquest Of Paradise - Paramount DVD release on 11/16?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ridley Scott's Christopher Columbus epic masterpiece, 1492: Conquest Of Paradise, was rumored to street through Paramount, on November 16th, 2004, the films USA distributor, but it looks like it won't now. Amazon.com is taking preorders for Bopha!, with Danny Glover, another Paramount title that streets on 11/16, but 1492: Conquest Of Paradise, has no street date as of yet according to the site.

This is a sorely overlooked, and underated magnificent film, that deserves out of all movies, it's rightful place on DVD.

I own region 2, but I want region 1 because the transfer for this visual masterpiece, is likely to be better coming from Paramount.

This is frustrating, I am a fan of this film, and was looking forward to buying the DVD, and Paramount pulls this crap.

So does anybody know what is going on?

Last edited by dvd_luver; 10-01-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I would love to buy a DVD edition of this film, I own the Japanese laserdisc version which is a longer cut of the film and features violence that was cut out of the MPAA PG-13 version.
Old 08-31-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's been pushed back.
Old 08-31-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Too bad, I'd like to see this again. I saw it when I was rather young, but I do know this film has one of the most beautiful soundtracks (and visuals) around. I also remember being bored to tears, but I was young...it was a time when I didn't understand Blade Runner either.
Old 08-31-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard it was pushed back as well. And will be released early next year. What I don't understand here is why it's studio, Paramount, if they can release, hasn't done it already. I've heard there may be a rights issue do to it's international co production, but it's on DVD in other countrys, to name a few:

Japan
UK
Germany
Netherlands
Italy
Brazil
Mexico
France
Spain
Australia
China

So, why can't the USA release it as well?

Makes no sense to me. I would love to have a directors cut of the film released on DVD. I read someplace online that there was 1 hour of footage cut from the film to make it the 150 minute length that it is.

I own it on region 2, and there is quite a difference between the US version and the overseas version. I prefer the US version though, becuase the pacing is better.

The visuals in this movie, the acting, costume designs, sets, Vangelis score, and Scott's directing. It's all top notch.

This movie was made for DVD. It is the kind of movie that has the visuals work with the score to enhance moments in the film.

If anybody is to do this film justice on DVD, it would have to be Paramount.

Yet, they won't release it. I swear, it's ridiculous that Paramount hasn't released this on DVD yet.
Old 08-31-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope they use that last image for the cover art. That's gorgeous.
Old 09-01-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the films original theatrical poster is gorgeous, and IMO, should be the choice for the cover art of the DVD, whenever Paramount decides to release it on DVD. I am sure they have an image stock piled of the poster without the credits.

The tagline of the film is awesome, "centuries before the exploration of space, there was another voyage into the unknown".

The US trailer for the film is by far one of the best trailers ever, IMO. They use the key scene in the film when Columbus jumps out of his boat and walks to land, and the trailer compares it to mans first steps on the moon, and than goes on to say, "5, 4, 3, 2, 1 " with Depardieu landing his knees on the New World. Amazing stuff.
Old 09-01-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by dvd_luver
The visuals in this movie, the acting, costume designs, sets, Vangelis score, and Scott's directing. It's all top notch.
Well, except for Christopher Columbus' thick French accent.
Old 09-01-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Poor Depardieu, he has recieved so much harsh criticism for having a french accent.

As a fan of this film, I can say you are right, his accent is very noticeable at times in the movie. To be fair though to him, he does his best to try to change it's sound.

It's a hard thing to do, and I think in fairness to Depardieu, he does an admiral job of it. Yeah, in one or two scenes it's hard to understand him, with his thick french accent coming into play.

It takes nothing away from his role or the movie, it's just a slight audio blemish.

Gerard Depardieu humanizes Christopher Columbus, bringing emotion and depth to the character. I think his role in 1492 is one of the best of his career.

Alot of people think this movie either sucks or they love it. It's just one of those movies that are based on history, and you either love it or hate it.

I think the film got robbed of a few Oscars, like Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor (Michael Wincott), and Best Director (Ridley Scott), and Best Original Score (Vangelis). I thought Depardieu was the films strength, and his deserves a nomination for Actor, but Wincott stole the show as Moxica.

I don't know if this film will ever drive in a cult following, but I could see t-shirts of Moxica or Depardieu selling at your local Hot Topic or trendy mall store.
Old 09-01-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I very desperatelyt want this in a 2- or 3-disc set! SOmething loaded with extras, like Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down. The Vangelis isolated score is a must too, to put an end to the bootlegs.
Old 09-03-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If any film is worthy of the royal treatment on DVD, it is 1492: Conquest of Paradise. Everything about it, from the visuals, the score, the sound, etc. seems like it was made for royal DVD treatment. A 2disc set with the rumored 1hour of footage on the 2nd disc would be great, or a Directors cut on disc 1, and the US theatrical version on disc 2. Kinda like what Scott did with the film Legend.

This film ranks as one of Ridley Scott's best films. Now I know a great many people would argue that, but I don't think the film has been seen by a wider range of people to be truly appreciated. It flopped at the box office, and only occasionally comes on cable. So, unless somebody owns the Laserdisc, to truly appreciate this film, you have to see it on DVD. I own it on region 2 , and it is amazing to watch.

Now I am sure if it did not flop at the box office, people would have different opinion on the film. I think what helped with the poor box office, was the lame Columbus movie with another french actor playing Columbus. I rented it to see if it could compare with this, and I fast forwarded through most of the film. Everything seemed phony, and the intelligence of the film is stupid.

1492: Conquest Of Paradise, is the definitive Christopher Columbus movie, offering the viewer as close to the real thing as you could possibly get.

Perhaps, one day, people will grow to love and appreciate the artistry, integrity and intelligence level of this film. It's a historical masterpiece.
Old 09-03-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a nice review of this film. While not the best, it hits the nail on the head with the whole Depardieu from France nonsense that surrounds this marvelous film. http://www.hauntnut.com/reviews/F/1492.html
Old 09-03-04, 10:46 AM

I really enjoyed this film as well and looking forward to the region 1 release. Ridley Scott did a masterful job of paying homage to Christopher Columbus for the 500 year Anniversary of 1992.
Signourny Weaver as Queen Isabella of Spain and Gerard Depardieu as Christopher Columbus may seem strange casting but it all works and works well.
Old 09-03-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember the trailer using Enigma's "Sadeness, Part I" to great effect.
Old 09-04-04, 01:22 AM

re:1492

Vangelis score
Old 09-04-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Defiant1
I remember the trailer using Enigma's "Sadeness, Part I" to great effect.
There was 2 theatrical trailers used by Paramount to pormote the film for it's release on Oct 9th 1992 to commerate the 500th anniversary of the discovery of the new world, and all of Christopher Columbus accomplishments himself.

The one you are referring to is also used in the UK and other countrys, as is the Ocean/Moon walk trailer, which was used in France, because it is featured on the French region 2, DVD, for 1492: Christophe Colomb.

I prefer the Ocean/Moon walk trailer, as I think it is one of the best trailers ever. It is for a trailer, very deep.

Paramount has got to put that trailer on the upcoming region 1 release of the film. The one with the Enigma song should be on there as well.

Odds are that they will have them both on the DVD, and probably no other special features.

I don't care though, I want to buy it on region 1 so I can play it on my DVD player and not have to worry about hooking up my multi region one to watch it.

Besides, the transfer is likely to be mind blowing, coming from Paramount, it will put any other 16:9, Anamorphic Widescreen version to shame most likely. I'd be strongly disappointed if the transfer for the upcoming region 1 was bad.

This is after all, one of the best historical epics ever made, and the visuals themselves, transform your tv set, into a time warp, they are so spectacular.

Some of my favorite scenes in the film (POSSIBLE SPOILERS), that I would like to view through region 1, is the voyage itself, the discovery of the new world, the encounter with the indians, the bell raising sequence, Moxica raises hell for Colomb sequence, the hurricane sequence, the lower end of the film where Sanchez (played by Assante) begins to change his opinion on Columbus, do to an encounter after he visits the Queen (played by Sigourney Weaver). Depardieu says, "look out there what do you see", Sanchez says (maybe not all correct with dialogue I wrote), "i see towers, i see palaces, i see steeples, i see civilization, and spires that reach to the sky", Depardieu replys, "all of them created by people like me, no matter how long you live Sanchez, there is one thing that will never change between us, I did it, you didn't", and than the deep, touching ending, where Columbus discusses going back to the new world with his son, Fernando, and his son picks up a pen and says, "I want you to tell me all you remember", Columbus says, "I wouldn't know where to start Fernando", his son says, "tell me the first thing that comes to mind", and Columbus looks on smiles and has a tear or two drop from his eyes, and says to his son, "I remember.......", there is a flash back on the first time he saw the new world, and his sons pen drops ink on the paper. Very touching ending, one of the best for a film.

Hopefully, Paramount will still release, 1492: Conquest Of Paradise, on it's original planned street date, Nov 16th 04.
Old 09-05-04, 05:04 AM

I'm just wondering why no one can get this poor guys name correctly.

Spanish call him Cristobal Colon
French call him Christophe Colomb
the US call him Christopher Columbus

Any ideas which one is correct?
Old 09-05-04, 07:49 AM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
How is his name spelled in Italian?
Old 09-21-04, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was wondering if anyone here has the region 2 version? I have the French, German, UK, Japanese, and Taiwan edition with the Vangelis soundtrack. I know it was released in other countrys, like Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Mexico, etc. The best version on 1492: Conquest Of Paradise available on DVD internationally, would be the French version. The transfer is solid, and the sound is excellent! The German release comes pretty close though. In regards to the UK release of 1492, the transfer is bad, really bad. It was basically ripped off from the Laserdisc or digitally mastered from VHS. Don't go anywhere near it. The Austrailian version sports the German transfer and the DVD is "all code", and has extras, like Depardieu being interviewed by the press, and Ridley Scott talking briefly about the film.

I don't know what Paramount is up to with this title, but I can imagine that they want to cash in on it soon. I still am not 100% sure that the DVD release date will not be 11/16/04. Another rumored is that it will be released on 11/09/04, and than early next year (possibly January).

Whatever the reason is, Paramount better have a darn good one. The more time they wait to release this title, the less people would be interested in buying it, simply because the rest of the world has already released the film in other countrys.

As a fan of the film, I still am hoping that the release date is still 11/16/04, but it is not looking good at the moment.

You know, unless there is some rights issue or something, Paramount can release it on DVD whenever they darn feel like it.

So what the hell is going on here?

Paramount please answer!
Old 09-21-04, 07:30 AM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
I'm not Paramount but I can assure you that if they release a decent two-disc edition with DTS, I'll be the first in the line. I don't think anybody here will be able to resist to this one either, won't you?

man, you have 5 editions of the same movie? Freaky freakin' freak!
Old 09-21-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pelayu
I'm not Paramount but I can assure you that if they release a decent two-disc edition with DTS, I'll be the first in the line. I don't think anybody here will be able to resist to this one either, won't you?

man, you have 5 editions of the same movie? Freaky freakin' freak!
lol! Yeah, your right. hehe. I think it's quite obvious that I wouldn't resist that 2 Disc SE if it ever comes out.

On the other hand, I've waited so long for region 1 to be released, that at this point I'd settle for a movie only edition, with a theatrical trailer. If Paramount is delaying release because of a possible 2 Disc SE, well, it has obviously taken quite a long time for them to do it. So, whatever Paramounts case is, regardless, everybody just wants to own the movie on region 1.

So if I was Paramount, depending on how soon that SE 2 disc could be compiled, I'd release a movie only edition to sort of test the market for this film. There are alot of Ridley Scott fans out there, like myself, and fans of Vangelis, that would drool over this release.

This is his best film, IMO, and by far his best looking film, along with Vangelis score, it makes for a brilliant audio/visual experience.

Release it now Paramount! Now!
Old 09-21-04, 08:52 AM

Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors, so I was planning on blind-buying this movie in November. I guess I'll have to wait, though. I'm glad to hear that it's actually a good movie, because I'll buy mostly whatever Ridley Scott puts out.
Old 09-21-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, I can guarantee we'll see a nice big fat head of Gerard Depardieu, taking up about 3/4 of the damn DVD cover, and a little teeny-weeny boat in the background.
Old 09-21-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not necessarily. Depardieu's mug isn't likely to have people rushing in droves and Paramount is really good at using the original movie poster art on their DVD covers. The bottom picture in the first post would be my pick although I've seen another image of Columbus' three ships on the sea that's also quite striking.
Old 09-22-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a fan of this film, I would go for the original theatrical poster for the cover. That is a great movie poster, and it is the original thing.

You know, Paramount is dumb. Guess what, this coming October 12th 2004, is Columbus day, it happens to also fall on a Tuesday, when DVD's are released.

Speaking of blowing an oppurtunity out the door for a perfect release date. I don't care when it comes out, as long as it is released by at the latest March 2005.

Or are they gonna make people wait eight more years (DVD's started coming on the market in 1997) for it's release again.

lol.

Paramount is dumb!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.