Reload this Page >

Last Comic Standing - 8/30

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-30-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just giving a little heads up for tonite's premier. Nice to have Vos and Mordel back.
Old 08-30-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
I wonder why Bonnie McFarlene is not back. I can't believe they picked that horrible horrid comic Jessica to take over from her. I was hoping for Jim Norton.
Old 08-30-04, 09:39 PM

I felt bad for Ralphie.
Old 08-30-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by movieking
Spoiler:
I wonder why Bonnie McFarlene is not back. I can't believe they picked that horrible horrid comic Jessica to take over from her. I was hoping for Jim Norton.
I'm pretty sure that NBC dictated, from the choices, that it had to be a comedienne.
Old 08-30-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, I never thought of that.

No one really impressed me that much. Overall, I definitely thought that Season Two was better though. Had no idea about Ralphie May's father, and neither did the crowd, as it seemed like everyone was waiting for the punch line.
Old 08-30-04, 11:01 PM

God, was anyone relieved that was over? Of all those routines, maybe 2 were funny. Several were just painful to watch.

Ralphie's jokes were actually funny, despite the circumstances. Like many, I didn't know if he was setting us up or sincere until a good halfway through. It's always hard to tell with a comic.

Not an impressive opening night, I'll say that. Hope it gets better.
Old 08-30-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Not impressive at all. I only thought Heffron and Bodden were great. And I'll throw in Todd Glass, but the rest were horrendous.
Old 08-30-04, 11:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Thoughts

Jessica - Better than her audition routines (at least she didn't scream) but still not impressed

Cory - Not good at all, thought she was much better last year.

Tess - Tired same old, same old from her.

John - Great stuff, but as an old school video game nerd the stuff was close to my heart. Not sure what the non game playing audience would think of it.

Tammy - Probably the best set I've seen from her. She still annoys, but she did a decent bit of self mockery and I actually chuckled at the adult prom joke.

Ralphie - Bizarre in a way, because I was so sure he was doing some sort of lampoon on the "grandparents die on reality shows" thing, but he never did the gotcha and still seemed genuinely upset at the end of the show. Cute jokes, but not his regular style so it's hard to judge.

Todd - Hilarious.

Rich - Thought he did a really good job here, much better than the set he did on the show last year.

Alonzo - Best I've seen from him, and ties for the hardest laughs of the night. Olympics stuff shows a true talent, with the ability to pull out A+ material that obviously is new to the routine (unless he's recycling from the 2000 games ).

Dave - Other tie for most laughs. Not his top stuff, but still worlds above most of the others.
Old 08-30-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Alonzo had done that routine at the end of Season 2 he would have beat Heffron.

That Jessica person was awful. You think they picked the weakest of the 4 choices so they could "throw one to the dogs?"

I think Bonnie was just pissed at the whole process from last season. The first time she got a head to head she lost with like 7% didn't she? She prolly figured she'd be out the first week of season 3 anyway, then she'd have to fulfill her contract with NBC by sitting in the crowd and clapping for 7 weeks instead of earning money out on the road.

Tough about Ralphie. I wondered why he looked disinterested during the introductions. I was looking for the upbeat in yo face Ralphie.

I voted for Tammy, because I like her boobs.

CFG
Old 08-31-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Total waste of time, this show was. A lot of hack work.

The problem is, that this concept of pictching season one against season two, is that one has to assume the audience cares about either party. I can barely remember the cast from a few months ago, let alone last season.
Old 08-31-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Alonzo is great. Hilarious set on about the Olympics.

Sad about Ralphie
Old 08-31-04, 01:04 AM
QjO

Sorry - but the jokes Ralphie told were old and tired and have been posted on FHM/Maxim/Stuff joke pages a couple years ago - i was expecting him to tear it up - his stand-up and stage presence are great - though its a shame about his father, it was still pretty cheap to exploit the situation and then tell a couple tired, used jokes.

Boden and Heffron were great - Boden w/ top honors - the last guy was very funny as well. Season 2 was clearly the better - but ditto on their 'mystery addition' she's a weak link on that team, among others like Ant and Mr. 'Thank you'...
Old 08-31-04, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by QjO
Sorry - but the jokes Ralphie told were old and tired and have been posted on FHM/Maxim/Stuff joke pages a couple years ago - i was expecting him to tear it up - his stand-up and stage presence are great - though its a shame about his father, it was still pretty cheap to exploit the situation and then tell a couple tired, used jokes.
He did say that the jokes were his fathers favorite and Ralphie was telling them for him...
Old 08-31-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope that he doesn't get a ton of sympathy votes, although I am sure that he will. Realistically, he should come last, but he won't.
Old 08-31-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cornflakeguy
If Alonzo had done that routine at the end of Season 2 he would have beat Heffron.
I didn't catch it last night, but if Alonzo would've done anything from his act other than what he did in the final performance he would've beat Heffron. Sounds like I didn't miss much. I'll probably watch tonight since I wanna see Father of the Pride and Scrubs. What an odd lineup those three shows are.
Old 08-31-04, 09:27 AM
Suspended

i missed it last night what did Ralphie say about his father?
Old 08-31-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Evidently what ever day this was taped his father died the day before. So there he was, all maudlin and sobbing, and decided to tell his dad's favorite jokes, even though they are eye-rollers.

When his set was over he said the show must go on, so he did.

I found the whole thing odd. At least the show runners could have tipped off the Season 2 house and said, hey, tonight don't pick Ralphie. Let him play next week.

I dunno.

CFG
Old 08-31-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zidane349
i missed it last night what did Ralphie say about his father?
I think he said his father died the day before?

Anyway, I though Alonzo was easily the funniest, with Vos and Mordel coming in a close second.

New girl for season 2 team was awful.
Old 08-31-04, 09:46 AM

I really liked Mordal, Boden, and Heffron. I thought hte rest were pretty horrible. As much as I like Rich Vos, he was still using old material from his CD/auditions from the first season.

As for Ralphie ... well at least his old jokes were better than hearing about how he is from the ghetto.
Old 08-31-04, 11:36 AM

I loved Mordal last season but I thought he was just awful last night. Pretty much everyone from Season bombed last night and by the looks on their faces, they knew it too. I thought S2 kicked their asses last night and if they don't win this vote (I FF through it with TIVO so I don't really even know what the vote is for) this thing is rigged or Ralphie somehow got the sympathy vote.

Cory - liked her S1 but just no laughs last night.
Tess - Annoying as usual
Rich - I love him but he wasn't up to his normal self (but the best of the S1 comics)
Ralphie - Understandably upset but those jokes were 50 years old and not his
Mordal - Just wasn't funny at all last night.

Jessica - I hated her screaming and faces but actually was much better than I expected last night.
Bodin - Great
Heffron - Great
Todd - Pretty good
Tammy - I hate her but even she was OK when she wasn't talking about being Sicilian. Of course she couldn't make it through a 2 minute routine without mentioning it.

I wonder how many seconds Dat Phan can go without imitating his mother.
Old 08-31-04, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by apeyard
I loved Mordal last season but I thought he was just awful last night. Pretty much everyone from Season bombed last night and by the looks on their faces, they knew it too. I thought S2 kicked their asses last night and if they don't win this vote (I FF through it with TIVO so I don't really even know what the vote is for) this thing is rigged or Ralphie somehow got the sympathy vote.

Cory - liked her S1 but just no laughs last night.
Tess - Annoying as usual
Rich - I love him but he wasn't up to his normal self (but the best of the S1 comics)
Ralphie - Understandably upset but those jokes were 50 years old and not his
Mordal - Just wasn't funny at all last night.

Jessica - I hated her screaming and faces but actually was much better than I expected last night.
Bodin - Great
Heffron - Great
Todd - Pretty good
Tammy - I hate her but even she was OK when she wasn't talking about being Sicilian. Of course she couldn't make it through a 2 minute routine without mentioning it.

I wonder how many seconds Dat Phan can go without imitating his mother.
I agree with you 95%. My only disagreements is that Todd was hilarious, easily in the same league as Heffron and Boden.

As for Ralphie -- yes, they were old jokes, but he got the biggest laugh from the part of the joke he added himself ("If I take my blue pills."). Plus, normally I *H*A*T*E* Ralphie's act, so as far as I was concerned, this was the best I've ever seen from him.
Old 08-31-04, 12:09 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movieking
I just hope that he doesn't get a ton of sympathy votes, although I am sure that he will. Realistically, he should come last, but he won't.
Last? Ralphie at his worst is still better than half of the people on the show. They were all pretty bad sets, but I'd have to go with either Glass or Mordal as the best.
Old 08-31-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nny
Last? Ralphie at his worst is still better than half of the people on the show. They were all pretty bad sets, but I'd have to go with either Glass or Mordal as the best.
Not based on last night's performance. The jokes were old, not his own, and sounded like they would come from a gum wrapper (if they were a little bit cleaner). They have been used in thousands of wedding ceremonies for years.
Old 08-31-04, 01:35 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

So where's das to defend Kathleen making out with Ant? It was about zero funny when Glass did it and it was like infinite negative funny when Kathleen/Ant did it.
Old 08-31-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wrote Jessica off as soon as she started to contort her face like 2 seconds into her act. That's all she does, is contort her face. Her act is as tiring as Ant's constant reminding us he's gay in every one of his jokes. I can't get into comics who are so one dimensional. Some of the better ones are funny for a time, but they always fade away quickly (talking about comedians not on LCS). And when her microphone turned off and she just kept on talking that was it, there was no way she would make it in my book. Even Jay Mohr came out and said, "What are you doing, your microphone is off!" If she doesn't get booted off tonight, something is horribly wrong.

Over all, I thought the comedians gave some great material. I never watched season one, so I have nothing to compare with those guys, but I am a fan of Rich Vos from Tough Crowd, so even if his performance might lack a bit, he will get my vote because I know he makes me laugh more often than not when I see him elsewhere. Alonzo, however, won the night for me, but I laughed quite a bit more at more than a few of the routines than I have in the past.

I hope Jessica and Tess bite the dust tonight, and I hope the season two house wins the money.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.