Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any opinions and/or deals on HD satellite receivers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm switching from Voom to DirectTV, in order to get the Sunday ticket, so the time has come for me to buy myself a high-def satellite receiver/tuner.

Looking for any and all opinions and even better any deals on available models.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-30-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked three places: DirecTV.com, expertsatellite.com and bestbuy.com. All three have the same price on an HD receiver: $299.00. I think with the NFL Ticket deal going on right now (4 months free with Ticket sub), you might not be able to find a deal that stacks that with a cheaper HD receiver.
Old 08-30-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can afford it I'd spring for the HDTivo so you have the abilty to record and time shift HD programming. There are no price breaks on it but it could be worth it so yo don't miss any HD shows while watching another.
Old 08-30-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
I checked three places: DirecTV.com, expertsatellite.com and bestbuy.com. All three have the same price on an HD receiver: $299.00. I think with the NFL Ticket deal going on right now (4 months free with Ticket sub), you might not be able to find a deal that stacks that with a cheaper HD receiver.
Did you mean might or might not?

BTW, does anyone know what type of receiver that you get from DirectTV for $300. I know that Samsung has a $300 model, so I was wondering if the one they offer is better or worse.
Thanks!

Originally posted by chipmac
If you can afford it I'd spring for the HDTivo so you have the abilty to record and time shift HD programming. There are no price breaks on it but it could be worth it so yo don't miss any HD shows while watching another.
I've thought about that, but I'm scared to think about how much they cost (especially considering how new they are)!

DirectTV's websire mentions something about them, but doesn't even hint at the pricing, from what I can see.
Old 08-30-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you go through D* the HD they send you is either a Samsung or a Hughes. The DirecTivo costs about $899 to $999 depending where you get it from. For that money you get two built in HD tuners and about 20 hours of recording time.
Old 08-31-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by clappj
Did you mean might or might not?
I mean you probably won't be able to find multiple deals. With getting 4 months free with Sunday Ticket, you likely won't see a deal on a cheaper receiver.

Originally posted by chipmac
If you go through D* the HD they send you is either a Samsung or a Hughes. The DirecTivo costs about $899 to $999 depending where you get it from. For that money you get two built in HD tuners and about 30 hours of recording time.
Fixed.

I have an HDTiVo and it's the best thing since sliced-bread.
Old 08-31-04, 11:29 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I sold my hdtivo without hooking it up, and its good as I am moving again and would have lost access to it for a good 2-4 months.

So i am waiting till 2005 to pick one up.

Chew how great is it, considering the Dtivo is a monster in my mind, and I will cry not having DTV for the next few months
Old 09-01-04, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Chew how great is it, considering the Dtivo is a monster in my mind, and I will cry not having DTV for the next few months
I can't imagine life without it.