Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks : FWWM- no deleted scenes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Peaks : FWWM- no deleted scenes

for those of us that were holding out hope that the deleted scenes would be on the new French DVD, here is some news...

from dugpa.com...

PRESS RELEASE

TWIN PEAKS, FIRE WALK WITH ME
ON DVD DECEMBER 8TH MK2 EDITIONS

Since May 2002, fans from all over the world have been asking us to edit the original cut scenes from “Twin Peaks – Fire Walk With Me.”

As early as 2002, New Line, the American editor of the DVD, had tried to include these cut excerpts into its edition, but had been forced to give up for financial reasons.

We have tried several times to contact David Lynch and his associates to find a technical and financial solution to the problem.

We had thus stopped exporting the film worldwide in 2002 and 2003, and had delayed the French editing of the DVD.

Despite a few sporadic contacts, mail without answers and missing appointment on David Lynch’s side has made us take the decision not to deprive the French audience anymore from this major film that is also an important work in David Lynch’s filmography.

The DVD, to be released on December 8th 2004 in France, will thus be edited with as much care as any of the other MK2 products, but these cut scenes will unfortunately be missing.

We still hope – as all David Lynch fans worldwide do – to have these cut scenes included in a future version of the DVD, but this responsibility and willingness has to be shared by David Lynch himself.

MK2 Editions
Old 08-30-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well, that just sucks..
Old 08-30-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Interesting about that last sentence:
We still hope – as all David Lynch fans worldwide do – to have these cut scenes included in a future version of the DVD, but this responsibility and willingness has to be shared by David Lynch himself.
So is Lynch himself holding them up?

I remember this excerpt from a Lynch interview from a few years ago about the FWWM deleted scenes:

DVD Vision: So you say no to cut scenes? At MK2, we are being assured they are trying to convince you to release cut scenes of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

David Lynch: It must be worth it. We are not going to do what all these other DVDs do with rough cuts from AVID, not calibrated, barely edited, with mag sound. What for? ... I mean, they must be of quality...picture, sound... I am interested if we go back to the lab, take the negatives, re-edit the scenes so that they have a minimum of coherence, do a music, a soundtrack, mix, redo a calibrated master shot by shot to obtain a pristine copy. That's a lot of work. If I am given the means to do it, I would not mind them to be shown outside the movie, since it is the way I would have worked on them.

DVD Vision: In fact, it is a matter of money?

David Lynch: Of money and time. Doing that also means not doing anything else.

DVD Vision: That's a bit the Brando syndrom in the 80s: "Yes, yes I would be happy to perform five minutes in your movie, but I want to be top of the bill and 15 millions dollars for two days of shooting." An elegant way to say no.

David Lynch: Yes, I am the Marlon Brando of DVD. I work toward the future. I am payed for that. If they want me to go back in the past... that is what these scenes represent for me... I have not been payed to do so. The Deleted Scenes I really wanted to show were for the Blue Velvet DVD, which I did not manage to find.
Reading between the lines here, but does it sound like Lynch won't let them include the scenes unless they pay him to remaster/reedit all of the scenes? There are allegedly a lot of cut scenes from FWWM, so I suppose that could be extremely cost-prohibitive, especially if Lynch is asking for a lot of cash to do so.

I'd rather be able to watch the scenes in whatever form they exist in than not at all, so this is really disappointing news.
Old 08-30-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, i think the problem has always been that Lynch doesnt want the deleted scenes thrown onto a DVD "AS IS". hes always wanted to rework them and bring them up to par with all the other footage. considering the length of all the extra scenes, at least a half hour, probably more, the cost and time will be almost like making a whole new movie. i think most fans would take these scenes in any crappy form they are in, but Lynch doesnt work that way.

PS- i think the ONLY way we will EVER see this extra footage is if its leaked out illegally.
Old 08-30-04, 09:14 AM

But in a way, what does David have to say about it? I mean, slap the scenes however they appear on the DVD...they don't need David's permission.

Tho I can see that they son't want to piss him off, so that is a reason why they didn't want to just slap them on.

Oh well, saw this one coming from a mile away.
Old 08-30-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
You mean he actually expects to be paid for his time and effort and wants to deliver quality work? What a strange idea. I thought MK2 owned the rights to this footage and could do what they liked with it but it does sound like theres some contractual obligation not to include deleted scenes without the director signing off on it. Too bad. I was curious to see this. On the other hand I'm sure there'd be lots of piss and moaning about how bad the scenes looked and how disappointing they were, which would no doubt be due to missing sound design, music, color timing and a case of high expectations.
Old 08-30-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Reading between the lines here, but does it sound like Lynch won't let them include the scenes unless they pay him to remaster/reedit all of the scenes?
Not to pay him directly, per se. But he does want them to pay for the restoration and post-production work, which would not be cheap for as much footage as is supposedly available.

Originally posted by JLyon1515
But in a way, what does David have to say about it? I mean, slap the scenes however they appear on the DVD...they don't need David's permission.

Tho I can see that they son't want to piss him off, so that is a reason why they didn't want to just slap them on.
Lynch has final cut on all his films written into his contracts, along with a provision about extra footage not being seen without his permission.
Old 08-30-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but with the upcoming "Short Cuts" release, New Line and Criterion have seem to have established a working relationship...
Old 08-31-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Just thinking out loud here, but with the upcoming "Short Cuts" release, New Line and Criterion have seem to have established a working relationship...
Doubt it would happen. Criterion was originally supposed to do Eraserhead with Lynch's participation, but something went sour between them and he pulled out of the deal, eventually releasing the movie on his own.