Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I get the Jersey Girl DVD or Wait for the SE?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jersey Girl comes out on September 7th. Kevin Smith has stated in the past that he didnt have much time to work on the DVD and that a directors cut would come out soon with added minutes to the film. Those comments were made in early summer.

Now with Kevin Smith doing all this promotion; it seems he has backed off his comments about doing a directors cut.

Does this mean it wont come out?

Should I just get the regular version on the 7th?

How many people are buying Jersey Girl on the 7th or Whos waiting for the directors cut?
Old 08-29-04, 10:46 AM

I'd just buy it now,they're going to be looking at the sales to decide whether or not a Directors cut or whatever will be a bust or not.
Old 08-29-04, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy it now.

If he didn't stick on those 2 commentaries I'd prob skip this one.

Kevin's commentaries are always the best.
Old 08-29-04, 11:36 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

do you think the commentaries will be watered down due to the subject matter ?
Old 08-29-04, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I think I'm just going to rent this one.

I mean, I have all of Smith's films (and even his "An Evening with Kevin Smith" and the Clerks Animated Series) on DVD but this one... I don't know. The movie wasn't really good enough to warrant my buying the disc, but I would like to hear the commentary tracks to see if he's aware of why it went so wrong.

I hope it does well for him, and that he makes more films.
Old 08-29-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed that he hasn't mentioned an SE recently too. I was wondering if it was a go or what. I'm a big Smith fan, but didn't bother seeing this one at the movies. Didn't really seem my cup of tea. With that said, I feel I can wait for awhile to see if there's going to be a SE or not. The worst thing that will happen is it will see a price drop and I'll get it cheaper.
Old 08-29-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He mentions the SE ALL OVER the commentary track. The commentary (Smith/Mosier/Mewes) talks about a lot of things, including Mewes' addiction and the JLo/Affleck romance and its effect on the box office. Pretty frank stuff. Haven't heard the other track (Smith/Affleck) yet.
Old 08-29-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My review should be going up soon, but I'll answer a few questions:

Now with Kevin Smith doing all this promotion; it seems he has backed off his comments about doing a directors cut.

Does this mean it wont come out?
On his website, he says he's heard nothing about it, but on the disc, its mentioned often.

do you think the commentaries will be watered down due to the subject matter ?
The commentaries are unrated and have warning screens before them. They have plenty of cussing, inclusing discussion of Affleck's love of men.

The movie wasn't really good enough to warrant my buying the disc, but I would like to hear the commentary tracks to see if he's aware of why it went so wrong.
He does dissect the film's box office failures, but he doesn't see much wrong with the film, and truthfully, neither do I. His biggest sin when it comes to this movie is being Kevin Smith.
Old 08-29-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll rent it because I'd like to hear some of the commentaries and see the flick again. I'd probably pick up a DC, but I don't need multiple versions of Jersey Girl.
Old 08-29-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm getting it. Its my least favorite Smith film, but I'm sure the commentary and roadshow clips will be worth the purchase price.
Old 08-29-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure Miramax will decide if another edition is worth putting out on how well the DVD sells. If Miramax does decide to put out another release (which would be Smith's director's cut), I wouldn't expect it until the The Passion of the Clerks hits theaters or video.
Old 08-29-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd pick up the current disc. I know I'll be getting both (if an SE ever happens)... I thought Jersey Girl was just as good as anything he's done... great flick.

MATT
Old 08-29-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just don't understand why people just don't like this movie! I'm stumped! I thought it was pretty decent. I'm a fan of Kevin Smith ...but I do understand he can't make every movie revolve around dick and fart jokes.
Old 08-29-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the DVD twice already, and checked out all the bonus features (though I haven't listened to both commentary tracks yet) and it's a good DVD. One of the highlights I wasn't expecting is that he included his Tonight Show Roadside bits on the DVD. Some of those are really funny. And the "interview" that Smith and Affleck do with each other is great stuff, with their razzing each other about the failure of the movie and all, like two good friends who can take a joke on each other's behalf and still walk away friends.

I was considering buying it. Not for 20.00, though, but if it ever goes down to like 9.99-14.99, I might consider picking it up. But now that I understand a SE is in the works, I might wait for that. It's not the greatest movie in the world, but it's a good movie. For people to diss it because they think Affleck and Lopez shouldn't have been in it or whatever reason they have are missing out on a good thing here.
Old 08-29-04, 11:10 PM

They'll be an SE. When it comes to DVDs Kevin always delivers. Expect it eventually. He promised an SE of Dogma and delivered quite a while after the initial release.
Old 08-29-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
I just don't understand why people just don't like this movie! I'm stumped! I thought it was pretty decent. I'm a fan of Kevin Smith ...but I do understand he can't make every movie revolve around dick and fart jokes.
The biggest problem with it was it was that if you didn't know it was a Kevin Smith film, you wouldn't really be able to tell it from watching it. Really, it just had the feel of any other romantic comedy.

Sure there are a few of his witty lines of dialogue in there, but it just has such a generic feel to it. And that is something you couldn't say about any other Kevin Smith film. Like the other 5 or not, each of them stood out, and you knew you were watching a Kevin Smith flick.

That being said, I thought the film was halfway decent, though it doesn't quite live up to his previous films.
Old 08-30-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by TheKing
The biggest problem with it was it was that if you didn't know it was a Kevin Smith film, you wouldn't really be able to tell it from watching it. Really, it just had the feel of any other romantic comedy.

Sure there are a few of his witty lines of dialogue in there, but it just has such a generic feel to it. And that is something you couldn't say about any other Kevin Smith film. Like the other 5 or not, each of them stood out, and you knew you were watching a Kevin Smith flick.

That being said, I thought the film was halfway decent, though it doesn't quite live up to his previous films.
I'm not sure that every movie a director does has to scream their name. That's actually part of the reason my interest in Kevin Smith's work has declined as time has gone on. I really, really, really want to love Chasing Amy, but all the little things he put into it that scream, "Hey look, Kevin Smith made this film" stop me from truly loving it. It's a good film, but it could have been greater.

I'm not saying that Jersey Girl is better than Chasing Amy or that it's even anything more than a good film, but I think it's a step in the right direction in maturing as a filmmaker. That's partially why his decision to do a Clerks sequel now makes me even more disappointed in him. I guess the bottom line for me is, I want to lose myself in the story of the film most of the time and I don't need little stylistic things thrown in just to remind me who made the film I am watching. If they work in the story, fine. But sometimes it seems as if directors trying to show their "style" can overdo it too much.
Old 08-30-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I agree with TheKing. I saw the film about 6 months before release and I thought it was a very pedestrian effort. 'nuff said.

So, in sticking to the topic, I think you should wait for the DC.