Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Suspect Zero

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspect Zero

I don't THINK this is a redundant thread...if it is...good riddance I guess!

Just saw this film, very interesting stuff. I'd suggest that if you enjoyed Seven, you'd enjoy Suspect Zero.

Starring Ben Kingsley, Carrie Anne Moss and Aaron Eckhart, it's an enjoyable...."psychological thriller" I guess you'd call it. I don't want to say anything about it here, for fear of spoiling it for anyone. Don't even read the one line summary (the plot outline)of it over at IMDB, it gives away something that I wasn't aware of. Maybe it's in trailers, I don't know...I think I only saw one once and perhaps ignored it after I thought "I'd like to see this."

So I'd give it maybe 4 stars outta 5....or 8 out of 10 if that's your ratio. Check it out!

NOTE: Did I see an advance of this or something? There's no rating for it over at IMDB, although it says it was last updated (well according to "production notes/status") June 4 2003. ?!?!?
Old 08-28-04, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Suspect Zero

Originally posted by harpo787
I don't THINK this is a redundant thread...if it is...good riddance I guess!

Just saw this film, very interesting stuff. I'd suggest that if you enjoyed Seven, you'd enjoy Suspect Zero.

So I'd give it maybe 4 stars outta 5....or 8 out of 10 if that's your ratio. Check it out!

Umm....wow. I think Se7en is a truly great film. I think Suspect Zero was the worse film I've seen this year. I suppose Se7en would be the obvious initial comparison, based on the fact they both deal with serial killers, but I'd say it ends there.
Old 08-28-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Suspect Zero, it did plod along a bit, a more breakneck pace might've helped. My one minor complaint, and its no fault of the movie, is that the trailer gives away almost the WHOLE film, the movie takes almost an hour to reveal something the trailer gives away right at the get go.
Old 08-28-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me guess...
Spoiler:
Kingsley is Suspect Zero?

Jesus, I hope not. That'd be horrible. I haven't seen this one and really don't plan to...
Old 08-28-04, 11:16 PM

No, nothing like that.

Spoiler:
Suspect Zero turns out to be some random trucker...this movie is absolutely ludicrous. It actually reminded me of "Joy Ride". You have absolutely no shot at guessing the killer (because he's never introduced), and he drives a friggin' big-rig across the country yet no one notices it. This movie is the very definition of ASS.
Old 08-28-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

too bad this is getting crappy reviews

bring on the dvd
Old 08-28-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has Aaron Eckhart in it. If Aaron Eckhart doesn't mean "rent if you are bored" I don't know what does.
Old 08-28-04, 11:46 PM

I'd recommend seeing it if you're truly a fan of absolute crap. Now that may sound facetious at first, but i genuinely mean it. I have a sick love of movies that are utter crud, and this ranks right up there.

One of the things I keep thinking about is how the FBI chief guy (the African-American guy with glasses) was hilarious with how awful his acting was. Tell me you didn't notice it?
Old 08-29-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joem: you are a sick fan of complete and utter crud, and this film is at right up there? Wait...so did you enjoy the film or not (EDIT: I assume not by using the words "worst film I've seen this year")? Also, I'd like to know what other "utter crud" films you have enjoyed. Sounds like you are like me a bit, in that it takes a lot for you to not be entertained by a movie in SOME way shape or form. There have been VERY few times that I have walked out of a theater at the end of a film (I don't believe I've EVER walked out before it's over) and thought "Wow...what a total waste of time and $$."

Everytime I see the chief (played by Harry J. Lennix) in any film, all I can think about is Damon Wayans making fun of him/his voice in "Mo' Money". He played Stacey Dash's rather arrogant boyfriend.

Wow, didn't realize it was getting such dismal reviews over at RT. It's currently 17% fresh, with 15 positive reviews out of 89. I guess I feel like one of the positive reviewers who said "Suspect Zero is that rare case of a dull idea redeemed by sharp talent."
-- Peter Howell, TORONTO STAR. I truly enjoyed Ben Kingsley...and something about the way Eckhart was made me think of Memento...the lead character that is.

The serial killer thing is getting over done, but I don't seem to ever get enough. I think one missing from the movie (but some how added to it for me) was a score. Music adds a huge element to a film, and it seemed that it was often absent from this film. It was there from time to time, but VERY minimal.

Oddly enough, Ebert said it was "too devised and elaborate to really hold us." I gotta read the rest of his review, but I want my serial killer flicks to be elaborate. Shrug...
Old 08-29-04, 04:26 PM

Joem: you are a sick fan of complete and utter crud, and this film is at right up there? Wait...so did you enjoy the film or not (EDIT: I assume not by using the words "worst film I've seen this year")?
Tricky to answer. I thought the movie was utterly awful. The only mildly redeeming thing about it was Kingsley, and that was only because he's Ben Kingsley, not because of the caliber of material he was given.

Now did I enjoy it? Well, yes, in the sense that I really do love truly awful films in that Mystery Science Theater 3000 type of way. Perhaps we are similar in the fact that it takes a lot for us to walk out on a film (last 2 films I walked out on were Bringing Down the House and Once Upon a Time in Mexico). I'll have to come up with a top 5 list of movies that are so bad I love them.
Old 08-29-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This film was IMO a huge missed opportunity.

I am a fan of the director, it looked and sounded great, the actors were well-chosen, and yet it suffered from being both too cliched and yet too artsy at the same time. There were also a few sequences which I thought were inspired--but good scenes don't necessarily make a good film.

I really want to read the original spec script which was significantly altered into what the film is today. I also wonder whether Merhige got the cut of the film he wanted.
Old 08-29-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joem
Now did I enjoy it? Well, yes, in the sense that I really do love truly awful films in that Mystery Science Theater 3000 type of way. Perhaps we are similar in the fact that it takes a lot for us to walk out on a film (last 2 films I walked out on were Bringing Down the House and Once Upon a Time in Mexico). I'll have to come up with a top 5 list of movies that are so bad I love them.
Hmmm...I smell new thread...perhaps something like "Movies so bad you love 'em" or perhaps "Movies you'd like to have MST3K'd" or something like that.

Didn't see "Bringing Down the House"...just didn't strike me as a type of film to catch in the theater....if I happen across it on HBO or some such...I might catch it...but otherwise...meh. I saw, and enjoyed, "Once Upon A Time In Mexico". I guess, like "Suspect Zero", I enjoyed "Once Upon..." for a singular character: Johnny Depp's character. He was just classic, as usual.

Jepthah, I agree with you that the movie did suffer from trying to be too artsy...I just couldn't understand why
Spoiler:
we were seeing things in red like there was hidden cameras...and then also at times to have it with a funky sort of lense that broke up the image too.
Old 08-30-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jepthah, I agree with you that the movie did suffer from trying to be too artsy...I just couldn't understand why
Spoiler:
we were seeing things in red like there was hidden cameras...and then also at times to have it with a funky sort of lense that broke up the image too.
There is absolutely no mystery to that. It was supposed to represent

Spoiler:
Ben Kingsley's character 'seeing' Aaron Eckhart's. Where it got wacky and lost me is where they imply that not only can he see things that are going on NOW, but in the FUTURE. There seemed to be a lack of internal logic there.

Nevertheless, I do reiterate that there were parts of the film which sustained mood and imagery to a degree you don't see very often in Hollywood films--just not enough to save the movie.
Old 09-07-04, 09:23 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I recently saw this and was not impressed. It was not a bad film, but nothing to write home about either. I too agree that the serial killer storylines are growing quite thin. I pretty much agree with Ebert's 2-star review here.
Old 10-17-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I caught this last night at the dollar theater, and boy was it borring. When the twist was revealed, I was like...I'm outta here, but I dropped my phone clip on the ground and couldn't find it, so I waited til it was over.