Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony Classical to re-release Star Wars Trilogy Soundtrack on 9/21

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the Offical Site:

On September 21, the day the Star Wars Trilogy makes its long-awaited debut on DVD, Sony Classical will release new, two-disc collector's editions of the soundtrack recordings of all three films in the trilogy -- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.
The heart of this collection is the original musical soundtrack, composed and conducted by John Williams and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. The recordings have been newly remastered using Sony Music's DSD (Direct Stream Digital) multichannel surround sound.

In addition, each two-disc set comes complete with new exclusives. The packaging features dramatic 3-D lenticular images, as well as some never-before-seen images from each of the films. Each soundtrack comes with a movie poster foldout, created especially for these releases. The discs come loaded with screen savers featuring images previously available only in Japan -- rare book covers of The New Jedi Order and Clone Wars book series, long prized by collectors and fans.

With this release of the trilogy soundtrack CDs, the entire collection of Star Wars film music is now on the Sony Classical label. In 1999, Sony Classical released the single-disc soundtrack to Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. In 2000, a two-disc "Ultimate Edition" of this soundtrack was released, followed in 2002 by the single-disc soundtrack to Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones.

In 2005, Sony Classical will complete the entire saga with the original soundtrack recording of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. In all six musical soundtracks, John Williams conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in original scores that are linked by signature themes and musical motifs.

Not sure yet if I'm buying these as I have the 2-disc sets that were released with the SE's.
Old 08-27-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sony Classical to re-release Star Wars Trilogy Soundtrack on 9/21

[Obligatory] Does Greedo still shoot first? [/Obligatory]
Originally posted by Kal-El
Not sure yet if I'm buying these as I have the 2-disc sets that were released with the SE's.
Yeah. I'm not triple dipping. Happy enough with the ones that I have.
Old 08-28-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the RCA releases from back in '97, and from what I can see the new Sony Classical versions are dropping the excellent liner notes for posters and photos from the movies. I'll stick with those for now, no point in buying them again if there's no additonal music.
Old 08-28-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard it's going to have a bunch of new cues:

1. Whitney Houston - Jedi Love Ballad
2. Usher & Nelly - Cantina Rap
3. Jar-Jar - Weesa Free
Old 08-28-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by leepyswetr

3. Jar-Jar - Weesa Free
I believe Weird Al backs him up on accordian
Old 08-28-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
so this is the extremely hard to find "Gungan "Go-Go" Remix"...?
Old 08-29-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
No triple dipping for me. The original SE digipak sets are much classier looking than the cheesie artwork above.
Old 08-29-04, 10:18 PM
Banned

What is up with the arts this century?
Movies are being remade.
Music is sampled from 30 years ago.
And even the art work on the package or poster can't be done good.
Old 08-30-04, 07:56 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by wm lopez
What is up with the arts this century?
</small>I think it is the accountants trying to, er, create the artistic equivalent of "in-built obselescence".

Last edited by benedict; 08-30-04 at 08:01 AM.