Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Raise your hand if you spend more time "collecting" than watching.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was recently struck by the realizations that (1) I probably spend more time "collecting" DVD's than watching them, and (2) that the process of collecting them is as equally enjoyable as watching them.

For me, "collecting" activities include regularly browsing used DVD stores for buried treasure, researching what is OOP and the differences in releases and upcoming releases, checking the Sunday circulars for deals, researching the best price on or off line, keeping up with the news at DVD Talk's main page and forums, managing my collection online and actually physically organizing it. If I compared that time spent on a weekly basis to the time I have to sit down and watch a movie, it would probably be about even if not tilted in favor of the "collecting" activities. I'm lucky if I have the time to watch 3 movies a week. Two movies and a smattering of tv on DVD episodes is probably my average.

Who else is in this boat? If you have more than ten titles on your shelves still in shrink-wrap, you probably are, and if you are, do you find the collecting side of it as enjoyable as watching the movies?
Old 08-26-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually spend more time watching although I had a big week so far. Yesterday I bought

Shaolin Soccer
Purple Rain
From Dusk Till Dawn - 2 for $20
Raising Arizona - 2 for $20
Godzilla (1998) $5.99 @ BB
The Ice Storm - $5.99 @ BB

Received Lone Wolf and Cub 1 & 2 from Animeigo in the mail at work.

Not to mention that my co-worker surprised me by lending me

Saturday Night Fever
The Thomas Crown Affair
Airport Set

and returned my copies of

Straw Dogs
One Upon a Time in America

that I had previously lent him.

I went home with 13 DVDs looking like a fiend. I am expecting my Scorsese set from Amazon today too. I'm going to be busy for a while.
Old 08-26-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think I fit into this collector category. I've always collected stuff throughout the years. Now, my thing is DVDs.
Old 08-26-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I fit in that mold also.
Old 08-26-04, 05:11 PM

Collecting DVDs and videogames that I don't have time to watch or play is just one of my many OCD symptoms.
Old 08-26-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-26-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,548 Posts
Might as well count me in too. I've had a collector mentality for as long as I can remember.
Old 08-26-04, 05:25 PM

Yeah, sometimes it feels like I read these dvdtalk forums and spend time planning the purchase of discs more than I watch movies in my collection.
I read about upcoming discs that I want and then remember I have a pile of nearly 40 dvds that I haven't even watched yet! Yet that doesn't stop me from buying more.
The collecting element can at times overshadow the movie viewing itself. I do believe people refer to this as dvd addiction.
Old 08-26-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by efftimmy
Collecting DVDs and videogames that I don't have time to watch or play is just one of my many OCD symptoms.
Yep, me too.
Old 08-26-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts
Old 08-26-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I eventully have the time to watch all my DVD's, but it can take a week or two sometimes. For example, here is what I have bought or received this week:

The Martin Scorsese Collection (5 movies)
Cape Fear: Collector's Edition
King Of New York: Special Edition
The Girl Next Door: Unrated Edition
Maxim's Girl Next Door
Futurama: Volume 4

8 movies, a 35 minute bonus disc of hot chicks, and 18 episodes of a TV show. So far, all I've gotten through is the Maxim disc and disc one of Futurama.

I also have my TiVo shows to get through, and the Angels are home this week, and I never miss a home game. That doens't leave much time for those DVD's. I'll get through Futurama, but who knows about those 8 movies?
Old 08-26-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, the whole point in buying a dvd is to watch it. Not to marvel at how many you have on a shelf.
Old 08-26-04, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts
collect all i like and love...never watch a one. i always seem to save them and look forward to them for when i have time. then that time comes around and i don't have it anymore. it's sad!
Old 08-26-04, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
To me, the whole point in buying a dvd is to watch it. Not to marvel at how many you have on a shelf.
I agree that the whole point of buying a dvd is to watch it. I end up spending a lot of time on those purchase decisions though, because I am heavily motivated by the desire to pay as little as possible for the titles I want. Crazy, I know. I would say 90% of the dvds in my collection were purchased used and at killer prices. My problem is that when I see an excellent deal on a used title I want, I can't lay off it, because I know it won't be there tomorrow. I bought every one of my Criterions this way. This buying strategy is a perfect recipe for buying more than I currently have time to watch. What can I say?

Also, I do admit to occasionally just sitting and scanning the titles on my shelves to try to spot a weak link.
Old 08-26-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To me, the whole point in buying a dvd is to watch it.

Agree, but thats easier said than done for some
Old 08-26-04, 06:20 PM

You mean I can watch DVD too?!?!?!
Old 08-26-04, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

Old 08-26-04, 06:58 PM
Banned

I kinda fall into the collecting mode myself, but I also take the time to watch everything (at least the film).

The way I collect is that I examine my genres and I decide on which genre(s) need more movies in the genre. Like, I say, "Gee, I only have a couple mob/gangster-type movies, I need some more." So that's when I go out and find and buy movies in that genre.
Old 08-26-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-26-04, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I do have about 10 or so films I have yet to watch(all within a year old,expect E.T.). I do make time to watch various films on ocasion. At least one film a week if possible. Sometimes more if I have the time and am in the mood.

I limit my buying severely,so that even if I don't watch it the first night/week. I possibly well within that month,or the next month. Of course some titles I have the urge to watch right away,while others I do not. So my too watch pile slowly adds up.

But I have done pretty well in not becoming overwhelmed with 100+ never watched dvds. Since I try to make time to watch them at least once,before I am in the mood to watch them again.

I love collecting though,and most of the time I spend daydreaming what I would like to buy,rather than what too buy. Since usually I don't have the cash,and something else catches my eye.

But I do like having an excellent unique and diverse collection,which gives me more adventurous opportunities of films to watch. Which would not be nearly as much fun,if I bought every lame popular but forgettable mainstream new release.
Old 08-26-04, 07:10 PM

For me it isn't gloating over the quantity, it's the knowing that if/when I want to watch something it's right at my fingertips. Even if it takes me a while to get to it.
Old 08-26-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

But I am trying to get into the habit of watching DVDs I haven't seen yet by pulling Saturday Night Marathons at my place. Last week was Fargo, Carrie: SE and Bill Cosby Himself (Okay, that one doesn't really count because I bought it last Tuesday but the other two have been in my collection for quite awhile...especially Carrie).

So far, this weekend starts with Apocalypse Now...a DVD that I've had for over 2 years but have yet to open it.

Andrew
Old 08-26-04, 08:12 PM

I hear you Valeyard. I've put myself on a schedule so that Monday through Thursday nights are reserved for Netflix movies (if I have any time to watch), and I reserve Saturday and Sunday nights for catching up on unwatched flicks in my personal collection. Friday night is reserved for Xbox Live.
Old 08-26-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am buying stuff that I am not using ,so comes dvd into this category,I bought a lot of movies that I am not watching more than 2 times.I still have Ronin shrink wrapped.I just don't have the time to watch movie at home.
Old 08-26-04, 08:18 PM

no hand raised. I spend much more time watching, of course. it takes 5min to order on-line....and 5min when in a store....because I dont browse and hunt for the "best deal". for me...thats the waste of time I cant afford. now it is true though....that I spend time RESEARCHING. still....it does not even come close to the time I spend watching films. I have monthly marathons which last 24 hours and that right there beats the time I spend shopping and researching for months....easy.

my problem? I just put in back to back to back 60+ hour work weeks....which leaves me little time to even piss. God, I love making $.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.