Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question about digital cable filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple questions about digital cable...

Hi guys. Got a couple questions about digital cable for ya....

I just got Comcast Digital Cable today. The full Platinum package with all the channels.

1)I ordered and received a cable digital filter as well from [not a good idea] so I can get PPV content as well. I put it on and ordered a couple of ppv movies via the remote and they played fine.

However, I have a concern.... I have read that leaving this filter on will result in the receiver halting data communication with the cable company, which I heard is required. I read that if the cable company does not periodically receive data from my receiver they will "lock up" and "kill" my box. Once installed, do these filters prevent data communication from being sent to the cable company? If so, how will I be able to use it, knowing my box will probably be locked out after a period of time? Is there a workaround?

Another question I have is...

2)I was a bit surprised to discover the kind of receivers the cable companies are still using. There are no S-Video or component video outputs on this box...only RF and composite. WTF? I then discovered that only the HD-DVR receivers contain S-Video and component, which my TV has.

My question is, how much better is the picture quality from these cable receivers when jumping from the RF signal to S-Video or component? Being that they are still running a coaxal line from the outside to the cable box, will it still make a difference? Even though my RPTV is not HDTV compliant, it does support S-video and component video. So should I still get the cable receiver with the S-video and component video connections? Or just stick with these RF and composite signals?

Last edited by Dead; 08-26-04 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-26-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've been around here long enough to know better than to ask questions about stealing cable services.
Old 08-26-04, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not stealing it. I've got the Platinum package. The highest, most expensive package you can get, at a whopping $100/month. Comes with every channel including several HBOs, Cinemaxes, etc. The only thing the filter is for is the PPV channels. So my question pertains to those.
Old 08-26-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by isamu
I'm not stealing it. I've got the Platinum package. The highest, most expensive package you can get, at a whopping $100/month. Comes with every channel including several HBOs, Cinemaxes, etc. The only thing the filter is for is the PPV channels.
You still have to pay for the pay per view movies you ordered with your remote.

According to the link you posted, the filter you bought is designed specifically to prevent your digital cable box from relaying billing information about what PPV movies you've bought back to the cable company so they can bill you for them.

That's stealing.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 08-26-04 at 03:23 AM.