Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Buy Xbox now? Or wait for packages?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy Xbox now? Or wait for packages?

I've accumulated a little bit of money at a local retailer and have set that money aside to finally pick up an Xbox and complete the trifecta.

My only question is:

- Do I buy a plain Jane Xbox/Controller S?
- Do I try to find one of the combo packs? Not having much luck in this regard. Are they still available?
- Do I wait a little bit until there is some kind of Halo/Halo 2 pack?

In short, does anyone know of any upcoming Halo 2 bundle?

I'm in no rush to jump aboard, what with the CC sale and the current TRU deal I have enough games for the other 2 systems to play my way right through Christmas. I can even catch the Xbox on the other side if anyone has sniffed another price drop. It's currently $179.99 for the barebones system at Toys R Us up here.

ps. As mentioned, I already have the other two systems, so there is no reason to console bash in this thread. Just trying to solicit opinion/consensus regarding a purchase timeframe.
Old 08-25-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Combo packs are pretty much all gone, very hard to find if any is left.

Free game offers are common. Target, BB, and CC sometimes has free games if you buy the system so you may want to wait. It's been a few weeks since I last saw a free game offer so there should be one coming again.

X-mas bundles should be out around Oct or Nov.

Last edited by Gideon68; 08-25-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 12:45 PM
Retired

I'd wait. Terribly time of year to buy a console as there's always a chance of a price drop or official bundle for the holidays and if not you can be sure most stores will put together their own bundles for the holidays.
Old 08-25-04, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I doubt there'll be a "Halo 2 Bundle." They might do a "Halo Bundle" in the hopes of getting people interested in the sequel.
Old 08-25-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'd wait. Terribly time of year to buy a console as there's always a chance of a price drop or official bundle for the holidays and if not you can be sure most stores will put together their own bundles for the holidays.
Agreed completely. Never buy a system in late Aug/Sept/Oct... There are usually package deals (official or unofficial) starting in late Oct to Dec for the Holiday rush.
Old 08-25-04, 02:12 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Lastblade
Agreed completely. Never buy a system in late Aug/Sept/Oct...
I'll March/April to that as well as there's almost always a price drop or new bundle deal after E3 in May. Those are really the two times of year you want to hold off a couple of months.
Old 08-25-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I doubt there'll be a "Halo 2 Bundle." They might do a "Halo Bundle" in the hopes of getting people interested in the sequel.
They of course did that a few months ago. I'd still expect some sort of a bundle before the holidays.