Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Flogging Molly Album! Yay!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 11:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can listen to songs, see the cover art, pre order the album here. dont go to their website, its rarely updated. go to side one dummy records instead. shit sounds awesome. sorta sounds like they added a new instrument or something. and dave king arying like a pirate is just too friggin cool. looking foward to seeing em in la and ventura in the next few months.

http://www.sideonedummy.com/floggingmolly/FM.html
Old 08-25-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yay! Sounds great! Amazing band.

I know it's sacriledge and blasphemy, but I do truly love Flogging Molly more than the Pogues.
Old 08-25-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I know it's sacriledge and blasphemy, but I do truly love Flogging Molly more than the Pogues.
BLASPHEMER!!

Well, at least Flogging molly hasn't released their "Peace And Love"......yet.
Old 08-26-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Cool I can't wait.

They'll be touring my area in October, too.
Old 08-26-04, 09:02 AM

I have the album here in the office and it's really good, although quite a few of the songs are noticeably different than previous releases. I'll be interested to see how it stacks up sales-wise (aka will it hit more of the mainstream). I did a long interview with the singer Dave King last week which should be going up soon.
Old 09-09-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ive been listening to the new Flogging Molly for a couple days now and it is freaking AWESOME. it is a very solid CD from start to finish, i think it stumbles a tiny tiny bit on the song with Lucinda Williams but overall it was excellent. i didnt really notice any songs noticably different than their previous work, except Wander Lust has an almost 80s feel to it. i would rate it 11 out of 10. i cant wait to see them next month.

while i will not let FM surpass The Pogues yet, if they keep turning out material like this, it can happen. i know, blasphemy.
Old 09-09-04, 10:07 PM

this disc blows Drunken Lullabies out of the water. can't wait to see them again live.

FYI: for those of you going to any of the FM shows be sure to catch the Street Dogs (Mike McColgan's newish band if you don't already know who they are). kick ass band live, lots of energy, and damn nice guys. go to www.street-dogs.com to download a couple of tunes.

oh, back to the Flogging Molly cd...i think the track with Lucinda Williams is one of the standout tracks on the disc but thats just me. Whistles of the Wind and Light of A Fading Star are damn good too...solid disc. i love me some mandolin.

Last edited by WestEndRiot; 09-09-04 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-10-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
the guys of Flogging Molly were here in town doing a listening party at some bar.
Old 09-10-04, 10:28 AM

im seeing them monday on jimmy kimmel, then going to a midnight signing in hollywood.

then going to a signing in ventura followed by a show in ventura

then im seeing them in LA in october
Old 09-10-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I never heard of them until recently, but Fungus on XM is playing them pretty often. I really like their sound, it's quite 'fun' and energetic. Of course, they're not coming anywhere NEAR me....NC sucks for any music other than adult contemporary or 'college rock'.
Old 09-10-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll probably be seeing them Thursday. Playing at Lou's Records in Encinitas (CA)
Old 09-11-04, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by WestEndRiot
this disc blows Drunken Lullabies out of the water. can't wait to see them again live.

FYI: for those of you going to any of the FM shows be sure to catch the Street Dogs (Mike McColgan's newish band if you don't already know who they are). kick ass band live, lots of energy, and damn nice guys. go to www.street-dogs.com to download a couple of tunes.

Thanks for the link !
I never even knew this band existed.
Old 09-14-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just picked this up - $10 at Best Buy this week. Can't wait to pop it in as FM are one of my favorite bands.

They're coming to Columbus on 10/9. Yeah!
Old 09-14-04, 02:25 PM

saw em last night for a taping on kimmel. played about 5 songs and sounded great.

met em and got a giant poster signed by all of them that is now being framed and hung in my room`

the guys (and bridget) were wonderfully friendly.

got out of virgin records at about 12:45 and listened to the whole album on the way home.

i love it. Just as catchy, fun and uplifting as anything they have ever done. I must say though they did seem to turn down the electric guitars on this album. probably 2-3 songs have that heavy punk guitar riff. they seemed to up the mandolin and whistle. more authentic irish drinking music if you will.

favorite song has to either be factory girls or light of a fading star. track 8 is an awesome interlude and their last song is easily the most heavy and beautiful song they have ever done.

be careful when listening and driving though. its hard to go under 80 while listening to it.
Old 09-14-04, 08:32 PM

Football pushed back the start of the Kimmel show, so I didn't see them play until well after 2am. FM as usual was great. I wish they showed more than just one song, but I'll take what I can get. I'll be seeing them live for the fourth time when they play at Roseland Ballroom here in NYC, and it looks like I'll be able to tape the soundcheck for a FM video feature. I'm trying to push for them letting us take the band out to a bar, but so far no luck.
Old 09-16-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally listened to the whole album last night and all I can say is - WOW! This album's great. Not as great as Swagger (which would be hard to top), but better than Drunken Lullabies, IMO...at least based on one listening.
Old 09-16-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's ok. Not nearly as good as "Drunken Lullabies". Thought it was pretty different for a FM album too! The guitars are more distorted and more upfront in the mix on almost all the songs. Normally I'd love such a thing, but for FM, it doesn't seem quite right.

Only heard it once. I'm sure it still has to grow on me. This is the first FM I've ever heard without seeing them play songs for it live.
Old 09-17-04, 11:09 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I agree. I just picked this up. It's OK, but not as good as Swagger or Drunken Lullabies. I'm sure all these songs will sound much better live.
Old 09-20-04, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Yay! Sounds great! Amazing band.

I don't know if I love them more than the Pogues, but they do frighten me less. Shane McGowan's teeth give me Dawn Of The Dead nightmares.
Old 10-12-04, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
They're coming to Columbus on 10/9. Yeah!
hey Linus, were you at the Columbus show on saturday? that was my first time at PromoWest and i was really impressed with the place. i talked to the Street Dogs' bassist for a couple minutes after their set and he said the sound was shitty on their end but i thought SD and FM sounded great. either way, fun venue...even the security working the front seemed laid back and cool. despite the three hour drive, everytime i go to Columbus to see a show i always want to go back.
Old 10-12-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sadly, I decided to pass on the show because of a lack of funds. Wish that I could've gone, but I have seen them live a few times before. I'll catch them on the next go-round.

So, were there any political rants? They did some at one of the shows that I was at early last year. I can imagine they'd step it up, being this close to the election.

Also, was it inside or outside at PromoWest? I've only been to the inside of that venue to see Stephen Lynch (singer-comedian), who described it as a "gay prison." Must be the purple neon and the cinder block walls.
Old 10-12-04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
So, were there any political rants? They did some at one of the shows that I was at early last year. I can imagine they'd step it up, being this close to the election.
ummmm...actually, now that you mention it i don't recall any from Dave. which shocks me considering it was The Punk Voter tour or whatever they called it. there was a video shown on the screens between the Street Dogs and FM sets. basically it was Jello Biafra talking in his goddamn annoying voice about getting out and voting followed by a sketch with Will Farrell as GWBush which was pretty funny. i'm pretty sure the sketch is what was included on vol. 2 of the Rock Against Bush comp dvd. after that they showed a series of media clips of the Bush administration continuously contradicting themselves. long story short, i don't remember any political rants from FM themselves. Dave did explain the meaning of Tobacco Island before they played it but thats about it as far as politics went.