Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Blues Brothers: Any word on a new release? Why is the current one worth so much?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Blues Brothers: Any word on a new release? Why is the current one worth so much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two questions.

1) Is there any word on a new release?

2) Why in the world is the current release worth so much? Is it just people that figured out that it's now OOP and they are just trying to pick it up really quick, or is the DVD actually "rare"?

I bought The Blues Brothers' current release today for $15, brand new sealed today, so it isn't like I'm too worried about it being OOP now. I'm just wondering if a new and better version might be coming out soon, and just why in the world the current release is going for so much now.

I assume that it's just people running around driving the price up just becasue they are really worried that it's rare, because as far as I remember it isn't really all that rare. Like I said, I bought one today at CD Warehouse, and not too long ago I saw a bunch of them at Wal-Mart.

I did a quick search on this, and I didn't see any threads from the past few months, so I figured I'd toss this one out there.
Old 08-24-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I haven't heard any talk of a re-relase and I doubt the market would be to strong to support such a re-release.

As far as I can tell, I have no idea why anyone would drive the price up. I mean it's an older universal title so it's M.S.R.P could just be high because of that.
Old 08-24-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know. I think the market would be fine for a special edition 2-disc set of The Blues Brothers.

Well, the market (me) would be fine with it at least.
Old 08-24-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I enjoyed the film as well, but I'm not sure if the market is out there for Universal to make it a priority for a re-release. Not to mention the version out right now is pretty good as it is.
Old 08-24-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My girl says they need to re-release it WITHOUT the director's cut.
Old 08-24-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't mind a release with both versions.
Old 08-24-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually the BBs is a pretty popular cult title with a sizeable audience. So it definitely warrants at least a reissue of the current dvd with a lower price

I would'nt mind having the option of the theatrical cut either,but knowing Universal. That won't happen
Old 08-25-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by PixyJunket
You need to dump that girl. I love the DC. But given that there's a DC already on dvd, it supports why Universal wont put this high on their list regardless what the forum's ed wood says about the sub culture cult backing (trust me, I'm one of those who LOVES the blues brothers) I'm happy with the version out there right now and unless Universal really wants to cash in on an anniversary, they have no real reason to try to re-release it.
Old 08-25-04, 05:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't this on sale for $10 a few months ago at Best Buy?
Old 08-25-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if it gets any kind of re-release it will most likely be as a 'franchise collection' with the 2000 sequel.

i'm quite happy with the current dvd.
i sympathize with people wanting a theatrical version, but the additions here seem pretty competant to me and the A/V is excellant on my system.

and yeah, this was going for under $10 not too long ago.
Old 08-25-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The director's cut is a piece of crap. The movie was long enough, but the added stuff just drag the whole damn thing out. There was not one new thing in the film that helped it in any goddamn way.
Old 08-25-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

so the real question.. was there anything in the directors cut that actually HURT the film?
Old 08-25-04, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Lara Means
The director's cut is a piece of crap. The movie was long enough, but the added stuff just drag the whole damn thing out. There was not one new thing in the film that helped it in any goddamn way.
Well, if you're a John Lee Hooker fan there IS. Could have lived with it as a supplement, I guess.
Old 08-25-04, 09:18 AM

Wasn't this on sale for $10 a few months ago at Best Buy?
Yes. I snagged a copy during that sale. They were all marked $35! Quite a difference.
Old 08-25-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big Blues Brothers fan, and I'm very happy with the disc that we've got now. It was one of my first discs I bought, and paid more than $20 for. I still don't regret spending that money. However, if we ever got a 2-disc SE, I'd double dip in a heartbeat. There's not too many movies I'd double dip either.

I liked the Director's Cut too. Too each his own, I guess.
Old 08-25-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Didn't it have a universal price drop? It's currently 9.35 and DDD, and probably around ten bucks at Walmart. [this is for the Collector's Edition with the added footage.]
DDD shows MSRP as 14.95....

Wow! 40+ on Half.com? 40-50 on ebay? Time to hit DDD and sell to some suckas on Ebay....hell, for 50 bucks, I'd sell my own copy.
Never mind, I just noticed it was OOS on DDD.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 08-25-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 09:38 AM

Got mine as an enrollment selection at CH for $.49. ; - )
Old 08-25-04, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Your girl is right. The Director's Cut is drag-ass and filled with filler scenes. This movie should NOT approach the time length of Apocalypse Now like the DC does.
Old 08-25-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
As far as I can tell, I have no idea why anyone would drive the price up. I mean it's an older universal title so it's M.S.R.P could just be high because of that.
I think all OOP discs which are at all notable (I mean, Landis and Belushi, at least) wind up being priced high in markets like E-bay and half.com ... I mean, the same thing happened to 'Animal House'. Even after the new one was announced, the old ones were still selling at a fairly high price.

I'm sure it'll be re-released.
Old 08-25-04, 12:04 PM

You need to dump that girl.
Hey!! I am that girl. Don't be giving him any ideas now.

I really wish I could have a DVD of the original version so I wouldn't have to keep the VHS around. The deleted scenes are cool, but they were better left deleted. They should have put the additional scenes in a seperate "Deleted Scenes" section on the DVD.
Old 08-25-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if 1941 and The Thing will be next to go up in price.
Old 08-25-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by jgido759
Got mine as an enrollment selection at CH for $.49. ; - )
Me too .
I enjoyed the film as well, but I'm not sure if the market is out there for Universal to make it a priority for a re-release.
Yeah, cuz their first priority is to put out as many releases/re-releases of American Pie as possible [and all its sequels].
Old 08-25-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Sammy Jo
Hey!! I am that girl. Don't be giving him any ideas now.

I really wish I could have a DVD of the original version so I wouldn't have to keep the VHS around. The deleted scenes are cool, but they were better left deleted. They should have put the additional scenes in a seperate "Deleted Scenes" section on the DVD.

So you're ms. pixey? hee, I'll have to take a note of that. You do realize he was dressed as Blue Mary.

I think all OOP discs which are at all notable (I mean, Landis and Belushi, at least) wind up being priced high in markets like E-bay and half.com ... I mean, the same thing happened to 'Animal House'. Even after the new one was announced, the old ones were still selling at a fairly high price.
that's pretty strange. usually when w re-release comes out or a better version comes out the older ones becomes worth crap on those second hand markets.
Old 08-25-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
if it gets any kind of re-release it will most likely be as a 'franchise collection' with the 2000 sequel...
I have a feeling that this is the case with this film and may be the reason why the current version is OOP.
Old 08-25-04, 05:45 PM
Banned

I've been thinking of selling it...has the DC is just too damn long...mmm...any takers?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.