Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost in Space DVD - Anyone actually PAY for this one?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, like most here (I'm guessing), got the Lost in Space DVD for free with some offer (buying a DVD player, ect.).

I got rid of this one way back (for next to nothing, but who cares, it's Lost in Space...ugh)...

Did anyone actually pay for this movie? Just curious.
Old 08-24-04, 03:22 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. It never gets in my collection.
Old 08-24-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. I bought it from Reel.com WAY back when. I was never a far of the older series but thought the movie looked cool when it came out. It had it's crappy moments but when the DVD was announced it was packed with features and back then it was rare too see that much on 1 DVD. I just had to get it.

The day it came in the mail was the day I promised we'd visit her family at a local campground. ( They were visiting us in Orlando ) I tried to get out of it so I could stay and watch the DVD but it wasn't going to happen. That was one of the longest nights of my life.
Old 08-24-04, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nope never got it and never will
Old 08-24-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was a lot to like in the film, I thought. Such potential wasted.

I think that if it wa remade as a series today, it would do pretty well. If only to counteract all the Babylon 5 and Stargate dreck...
Old 08-24-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Picked this one up dirt cheap at Reel.com or 800.com back in the day. Watched it once and sold it almost immediately.

Pretty awful flick. I use to buy a lot of crappy movies though when it was easy to get them for a buck or two each. It was cheaper than renting and after reselling them I usually made a profit.
Old 08-24-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I liked the movie a bit(caught it on cable), although it had been some years since seeing the show. The movie was nothing great but not all that bad either. And I dont own the DVD.
Old 08-24-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

/me raises hand... and likes it
Old 08-24-04, 08:54 AM

Never paid for it, but it has Gary Oldman in it as a great, sinister Dr. Smith. PLUS it has a sub-plot involving time travel/warping. THAT always gets me! The spider thing was creepy, even if a bit lame.
Old 08-24-04, 09:42 AM

I got it free with my DVD player.. the first half hour or so is pretty decent in my opinion. Nice audio and cool special effects. Goes way downhill from there, though.
Old 08-24-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah, mine's free, but (and here is where I run and duck for cover) I actually like it. Even saw it in the theater.

I guess I like it for many of the reasons mentioned above: Gary Oldman as Dr. Smith. The robot is voiced by the original actor from the series and gets rebuilt to resemble the TV version. I'm a sucker for time travel stories. I was a big fan of the campy series. (Yeah, I know. But I was just a kid so I didn't know any better.) Etc., etc.

But it's always intrigued me how reviled this movie is, and apparently I'm just not "with it" on this. I think I've got pretty good taste, so what is it about this movie that I'm missing? Seriously, I would like to hate this movie as much as the next guy - so can anyone enlighten me as to why it's so bad so I can stop being so ashamed?
Old 08-24-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine was free too... I quite liked the special effects.
Old 08-24-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought it used at FYE for dirt cheap. I really enjoyed it too. Decent time travel story, great visual effects, good use of the sound system too. It's no 2001, but it never tried to be. Lots of fun.
Old 08-24-04, 11:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Saw it in the theater, bought the DVD for about $15, was not born when the original series came out but like it from seeing it on the Sci-Fi channel and now own the Season 1 set.

Love both!!!
Old 08-24-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
I bought it when I found it for a cheap-o price somewhere. I loved the series as a kid (obsessed, even), and had to see the movie on opening day. Even though the movie disappointed me on a few levels, I'm too much of a LiS fan to not own it. So there
Old 08-24-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I got mine for free in the mail with 4 other dvds when I got my first player.

I still have the disc, never watched it (and I don't even bother to keep it with the rest of my collection).
Old 08-24-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got a free copy when I purchased a DVD player. I watched it one time a sold it along with the other 4 free DVDs. Think I ended getting about $5 a DVD.
Old 08-24-04, 12:28 PM

Compared to the truly bad movies out there, Lost in Space is more of a lost opportunity than anything else. It has some good moments and pretty good special effects (with the exception of that terrible monkey-creature). I think I bought my copy, but it was around the time that coupons were so common, so I'm sure it was very cheap.
Old 08-24-04, 12:33 PM

Its a great film and I loved it, and it was one of the 1st dvds to truley show what a dvd could do, I paid about $35 for it and still have it now and never regret buying it.
Old 08-24-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did. And I liked it. Thought the special effects were great and I liked what they did with the story.
Old 08-24-04, 01:03 PM

Generally speaking, I tend to avoid movies that come in cereal boxes, and/or offered free at Pizza Hut.
Old 08-24-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would have purchased this one had it not come with the DVD player. Less a couple of obnoxious moments, I think it's a pretty cool flick and yes, it's still in my collection.
Old 08-24-04, 03:01 PM
Retired

Nope, got it free with a mail in offer from a DVD Player.
Old 08-24-04, 03:03 PM

I did w/a Reel.com coupon when the DVD was released - I bypassed seeing it at the Theater's and the DVD cost less than a couple of Tickets.

Anyway, after I saw the DVD movie the first time, . . . . I thought it was better than what I expected!!! Especially the metallic tapping sounds of the metal eating space spiders, . . . the DD-5.1 360-degree surround sound made it much more creepy!

One of the original DVD reviews at DVDSpot.net (is copyright © 1998 by Nathan Gillmore) wrote ...

The sound is also very well done. Surround effects are almost always present, and the sub gets a good workout as well. Several scenes, such as the spider attack towards the beginning, and the many space flight scenes, exhibit awesome panning effects in the surrounds. This is definitely a system demo disc!
Phil
Old 08-24-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My copy was given to me by my mother-in-law who got it for free with her dvd player. I also liked the movie and have kept it in my collection. I am a sucker for any sci-fi movie though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.