Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Outlook express. How can I delete a specific email?

dilligaf
08-23-04, 06:31 PM
I have an email message in my inbox (in outlook express) Every time I start up outlook express, this email is the first one and is highlighted. Anyway whatever is in this email (I assume some program trying to run or some active-x, etc. Hopefully nothing viral) locks up my outlook express and then the whole computer. I have to reboot every time. Then as soon as I acess outloox express again if starts over.

Is there any way to delete an email without opening outlook express. Is there a folder I can access outside of the program to delete this file/email?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

lxl
08-23-04, 07:13 PM
In "internet options", "security" tab, edit custom level for internet, disable all ActiveX/Java/VBScript, then start OE, remove the email.

In fact, I always disable ActiveX controls/plug-ins.

dilligaf
08-23-04, 07:25 PM
thanks for the reply. i tried that and still having the problem. should i try disabling everything in that window(not just Active-X)?

I assume there is no easy way to delete that email or all the emails if I have to and it will solve the problem.

I guess I could uninstall express and re install. But it might somehow save all my old emails and put them right back where they were upon re install?

X
08-23-04, 07:42 PM
Send yourself a new email using a different method so it will be the first one and your problem one will be the second one?

dilligaf
08-23-04, 07:48 PM
yep i tried that. it locks up before it has a chance to download new mail. starts receiving and because the problem email is default highlighted it locks up.

X
08-23-04, 07:54 PM
Sounds like you need to install a trial version or a free version of another mail client and then delete that turkey.

lxl
08-23-04, 08:08 PM
OK, try to disable everything and see...

68ShelbyGT500KR
08-23-04, 09:19 PM
Do you have any email currently in your inbox(not outbox, deleted or send) that you need to keep? If ss, MOVE the inbox.dbx file. DO NOT DELETE the inbox.dbx file

Close OE
You must have View all files option enabled in Windows Explorer>Tools >Folder Options, then
If you are using XP, you can navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Very Long number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Locate the file indox.dbx and move it to a different location
OE will re-create a new inbox when you start the OE.

If not using XP , located the inbox.dbx file

If you need e-mail messages then you would be able to extract them using a program like DBXtract. The new version is $5.00., I think. If you can find version 4.5 it is freeware

dilligaf
08-24-04, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Do you have any email currently in your inbox(not outbox, deleted or send) that you need to keep? If ss, MOVE the inbox.dbx file. DO NOT DELETE the inbox.dbx file

Close OE
You must have View all files option enabled in Windows Explorer>Tools >Folder Options, then
If you are using XP, you can navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Very Long number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Locate the file indox.dbx and move it to a different location
OE will re-create a new inbox when you start the OE.

If not using XP , located the inbox.dbx file

If you need e-mail messages then you would be able to extract them using a program like DBXtract. The new version is $5.00., I think. If you can find version 4.5 it is freeware

thanks very much, i will try it when i get home from work.

68ShelbyGT500KR
08-24-04, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by dilligaf
thanks very much, i will try it when i get home from work.

Do this before my previous suggestion.
( I don't know is this works if you don't have any newsservers in OE)

First, assuming you are running XP,

Right Click on the Outlook Express Icon, select "properties", in the "target" box add the switch
/newsonly
Click OK
Sample of XP's default path:
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /newsonly

(there is a space after the last " and the /

Start OE, you will NOT see any e-mail messages. Then in OE, go to "View">Layout>un-check "show preview pane">click OK..close OE

Go back to the icon for OE, and remove the /newsonly switch from the target box>Click OK

Open OE, delete the "Bad" e-mail in the inbox

Then Delete the bad e-mail in the "deleted" box

When finished renable the preview pane view