Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Star Trek TOS full 3-season sets upcoming?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there are any plans for an official release of a massive box of all three seasons of Star Trek: The Original Series (the way they're doing in Japan)? I'd hate to buy them individually and then find out that a full set with more extras will come along. At the same time, I want to save money by advance ordering if they're only going to be done a season at a time here in the US. Thanks.
Old 08-23-04, 01:59 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i thinnk i heard something like that, but not with extra's just packaged together, not sure though, but i did not want to wait.
Old 08-23-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There have been no announced plans for a mega-set of all three seasons together, and I would be very surprised if such a thing is ever released in R1 on standard DVD. Japan has a whole different marketing strategy, and deluxe packaging is often done there with no similar domsetic product. They may well sell all three boxes shrink-wrapped together around Christmastime, but that's all. You should count on this edition selling like hotcakes, and becoming the definitive DVD release version of TOS.

Let's hope they take a little more effort on the extras on "Super" DVDs, or whatever comes next--before the rest of the cast dies off.

Or at least liscencing much more of the ancilliary stuff that already exists. The extras are average at best--just like all on the StarTrek series releases--considering what could have been done.
Old 08-23-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
A mega set of all 3 seasons is going to be released. Here is a link to it at Amazon. I believe it is the same as the individual seasons .
Release date is December 14 .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...998556-9059132

Last edited by Classic Films; 08-23-04 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by adamblast
There have been no announced plans for a mega-set of all three seasons together, and I would be very surprised if such a thing is ever released in R1 on standard DVD. Japan has a whole different marketing strategy, and deluxe packaging is often done there with no similar domsetic product. They may well sell all three boxes shrink-wrapped together around Christmastime, but that's all. You should count on this edition selling like hotcakes, and becoming the definitive DVD release version of TOS.
I agree with adamblast, I doubt you will see a mega-set anytime soon. However, don't count out having these repackaged again and again. The movie versions have been/are being rereleased, the original 2-episode TOS discs, and we've already got the "Jean-Luc" Picard episodes out there. These probably are the "definitive" versions for this format extras-wise, but if Paramount can find another way to milk this franchise, it will.

EDIT: Classic Films just proved my point ^

Last edited by stinkeye; 08-23-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Classic Films
A mega set of all 3 seasons is going to be released. Here is a link to it at Amazon. I believe it is the same as the individual seasons .
Release date is December 14 .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...998556-9059132
Every indication is that your link refers to exactly what I was talking about: a simple bundling together of the 3 seasons, identical to what was sold individually. The original poster seemed to be speaking of something different.
Old 08-23-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Thought I was having Deja Vu for a second..
Old 08-31-04, 09:55 AM

Dvd Answers pretty much confirms that all you'll be getting in the full set is a cardboard band to hold them all togther.