Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Dead Zone: 8/22 (Two Episodes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dead Zone: 8/22 (Two Episodes)

Although there haven't been many threads for the show this season, I'm surprised the season finale didn't pique some discussion yet. I guess there's no time like the present to create one for tonight's two new episodes and speculation for the future.

The first episode to air tonight was average. It had it's moments, but in comparison to some other episodes this season, it was far from amazing . Enjoyed the interactions with Bruce, but this whole "someone close to Johnny will die due to something completely unrelated to his gifts" is getting old. The odd continuity of the visions was rather innovative and something I hope to see more of, but the core plot was rather bland in my opinion.

The second episode was an improvement. The "so-called" season finale (see below) was great all around. The resolution to Purdy and his empire crumbling was well done and quite satisfying. Glad they finally picked up the Stillson arc again, although as I'll go into shortly, doubt the conclusion we see will be worthwhile.

The only thing I could have done without were the "beach" scenes. It was just over the top and detracted from the show, and seemed to drag on forever the first time around. During the second time, when it got to Rebecca's "If you see me in your vision, I'm planning a birthday party..." Utterly ridiculous. Usually this show prides itself on handling something as unrealistic as Johnny's visions with care. I don't buy into hypnotism to begin with, so in and of itself it just seemed stupid. But the fact that words alone completely changed Johnny's vision was ridiculous and poorly written in respect to how the writers have handled his visions so far.

Now for the speculation/spoilers... I was looking at TVTome earlier, and I noticed that tonight's episode is not the real finale. There is a second part to the finale that USA apparently decided not to air at the last minute because of the show's chances of renewal. I wasn't able to find much, but it makes me wonder if... (Putting this in spoilers to be safe, some pretty big theoretical spoilers about a possible series finale to the show and next season.)

Spoiler:
They wrote the two-part finale to end the series, likely with Stillson being killed by Rebecca, who also ends up dying. Johnny goes in a coma after his vision in the end of the episode we saw tonight. He'll die without the surgery, so Sarah decides to operate. The surgery removes his dead zone, and at the end of the episode, we have a complete resolution to the series. Stillson dead, Johnny visionless.

Since USA apparently decided they want to renew the Dead Zone for season 4, my guess is USA will never show the second part and instead create a new episode as a season premiere. In which, obviously none of the first paragraph would occur.

Since this second part was apparently filmed and intended to air tonight up until a couple weeks ago, I'd be interested if anyone has read anything more about the details. Like I said, all I saw was that there's a conclusion to the episode that aired tonight, and USA chose not to air it. Hopefully at the very least it will end up as a bonus on Season 3's DVD set, since it's chances at airing at this point seem rather slim.
Old 08-23-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed the second hour. Seems a bit unusual to use Rebekah to destroy Stillson as the King version used Johnny and showed Stillson to be a coward. This show has drawn from King in the past, makes sense when it finally ends they would go back to the source material.

Interesting info about the fate of the show. Does this signal a 4th season or just a delay to end the series later this year?

I have really enjoyed this season, sorry to see it end so soon.
Old 08-23-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Dead Zone: 8/22 (Two Episodes)

Originally posted by coladar
Enjoyed the interactions with Bruce, but this whole "someone close to Johnny will die due to something completely unrelated to his gifts" is getting old.
I don't see how you think those situations are completely unrelated to Johnny's gift. Bruce 'more than likely' would not have been stabbed in the first place if it wasn't for Johnny's vision. It never showed Bruce in the park running, but just fragments of Johnny's vision where Bruce was killed. Bruce 'more than likely' wouldn't have been attaced if it wasn't for Johnny's vision leading him there. I think Johnny's visions cause the people close to Johnny to be endangered.

* Please note I said 'more than likely' because the course of events without Johnny's interaction were never revealed.

I would be glad to see this show come back for a fourth season, but I actually liked the spoilerized ending of the unaired episode. It would have been a pretty fitting ending. If they do bring this back for a fourth season, it should probably be the last. I don't want them to drag out this show until it isn't worth watching anymore.
Old 08-25-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Rather than a missing episode, I think it's more likely that they re-edited the final two hours to turn it into an hour show with a cliffhanger. I agree that the "missing" part two was probably a resolution to the series that ended with Stilson's assassination and Johnny's surgery and removal of his dead zone.

While the ratings for The Dead Zone dropped the last few weeks, I hear the finale was the second highest rated cable show of the week in the key demographics (right behind USA's Monk). The finale was up in viewership 33% from last year, and overall viewership of the series was up 22% this season over last. So it's no shock USA wants to bring it back. The only shame is that the show doesn't get the mainstream attention that Monk does.
Old 08-26-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope that the un-aired ep makes it on the s3 dvd box set in some fashion. That would be quite nice. But some exec would probably think people would be too stupid to understand what it was...and that the series was not over.
Old 08-26-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know, Anthony Michael Hall is going to be at Dragon Con (unless he cancels), and I hope someone will ask him what is up with the season finale and the series renewal possibilities.
Old 08-27-04, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Patman
You know, Anthony Michael Hall is going to be at Dragon Con (unless he cancels), and I hope someone will ask him what is up with the season finale and the series renewal possibilities.

It was announced a few days ago or so, he has cancelled......
Nicole deBoer will be there.
Old 08-28-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know the name of the song they were playing in the strip club in Shadows?
Old 08-28-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by innocentfreak
Anyone know the name of the song they were playing in the strip club in Shadows?
Heck, I'm STILL trying to figure out the lyrics in the opening theme song!

What are they singing? Sounds Like "Fall in Line" and "We're not certain who you are..." but I never can make it out!