Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'After Hours'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jason Bovberg's DVD review of After Hours at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11861 and...I totally agreed with his observations. I also learned some new trivia that imdb.com didn't even have (i.e. that Tim Burton was originally to be director; real glad Scorsese landed it!).

I don't have the DVD yet, but I did record a rare showing of "Hours" on HBO last week in full-screen format and watched it with fascination since I had not seen it since it had come out in 1985 (this film rarely gets shown on television). Fantastic flick and I became an instant fan of Dunne. This is a film you can watch again and again (as Jason referred to regarding his VHS copy) due to the fact you see new things you didn't notice the first 50-times!

Again, loved the review, it was very helpful to see what to expect with the DVD release. I'm keeping the TiVo copy I recorded so I can quickly watch it at any time and pause/review my favorite scenes, which are many...the beauty of TiVo is that you can very quickly access certain points (not chapter review or skip).

"After Hours" must be literally watched, i.e. not background movie-type thing. The littlest nuance can and does get missed. A must have! Top 25 "cult" films I'm sure...

Last edited by newswatcher; 08-21-04 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, newswatcher! The reviews for films that I love are always the most fun and the most passionate. As I said in the review, I've been waiting impatiently for a DVD of "After Hours" since the birth of the format, and now that I have it, I plan to watch it incessantly.

You might want to check out this thread in the main forum...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=scorsese