Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Thoughts on "Saw"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoughts on "Saw"

I just saw my first trailer for "Saw".

It is about a serial killer that tortures his victims mentally into killing themselves.

Cary Elwes is in it, I didn't recognize anyone else. It looked a lot like Se7en, which is fine with me.

Any thoughts on it yet? The trailer has me digging it. Though I wish they had called it "Jigsaw" (the newspaper name for the killer) instead of just "Saw".

Last edited by Joem; 08-21-04 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-21-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Thoughts on "Saw"

Originally posted by Joem
I didn't recognize anyone else, and Brent Ratner is directing.
Actually, James Wan directed it. Danny Glover and Dina Meyer are also in it. Here's the IMDB Listing:
Saw

The trailers are pretty freaky and I'm seriously interested in seeing it.

Andrew
Old 08-21-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. I will be seeing this. The earlier trailers were even creepier.
Old 08-21-04, 12:31 AM
Suspended

It looks like it will be cool, I'm really hoping it doesn't end up being another fear.com
Old 08-21-04, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is already a thread on it, although it is hard to find with a three-letter title.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=Cary+Elwes
Old 08-21-04, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by johnglass
There is already a thread on it, although it is hard to find with a three-letter title.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=Cary+Elwes
Well bleh. I searched for it and had no luck, so started one.

Also, I goofed on my trailers. We also saw a trailer for After the Sunset, and that's why Ratner was in my mind. I'll go edit it, my bad.
Old 08-21-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this film in February. I can't believe how much praise it's getting. I was bored to tears. I think this film will suffer from Blair Witch syndrome: Being overhyped to the point of people expecting to die from fear in the theaters.

Blair Witch's poster had the tagline "SCARY AS HELL" from the Rolling Stone review. Now, if you found Blair Witch 'scary as hell', then maybe you'll like saw. I found it boring as hell. The acting is really terrible among the two male leads (Especially Cary Elwes, surprisingly). I went with 5 other people, and they all had the same reaction.

I've noticed that on sites such as Bloody-Disgusting.com they are saying it's the most terrifying and freaky movie in years. Um....It's got a few nifty ideas in it for killing people, yeah, i'll give it that. But other than those scenes, I was really let down.
Old 08-21-04, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Seantn
I saw this film in February. I can't believe how much praise it's getting. I was bored to tears.
This is disappointing to hear.

I was really looking forward to seeing this film, hopefully I'll disagree with ya after I see it. FWIW, I thought Blair Witch was fantastic, so maybe there's some hope.
Old 08-21-04, 12:35 PM

I'm still psyched for it! But I am a little disappointed that it had to be cut to get an R-rating. Oh well, maybe the DVD will be unrated.
Old 08-21-04, 01:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I think this film will suffer from Blair Witch syndrome: Being overhyped to the point of people expecting to die from fear in the theaters.
It's working for Lions Gate right now with OPEN WATER. I'm sure it will work from them again with SAW.
Old 08-21-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was an extremley positive review posted on Aint-it-cool but that really doesnt mean to much.
Old 08-21-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Based solely on the amazing trailer, I have every intention of seeing this movie. I'm a fan of Cary Elwes, and the last film he did like this(Kiss The Girls) was pretty good.
Old 08-21-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Based solely on the amazing trailer, I have every intention of seeing this movie.
You've got to love any trailer that uses the tagline:

"How fucked up is that?"
Old 08-21-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Blair Witch's poster had the tagline "SCARY AS HELL" from the Rolling Stone review. Now, if you found Blair Witch 'scary as hell', then maybe you'll like saw. I

I remember that. Quick trailer, and that tagline that it was scarier than the exorcist or something. My stepdad and I wasted 2 free movie passes to see Blair Witch.

As for Saw the trailer looks neat, but I don't want to keep my hopes up for it, as it does look like it could go either way.
Old 08-21-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You've got to love any trailer that uses that tagline:
Well, you don't HAVE to love it. It should have been used in the Catwoman trailer.

"HOW FUCKED UP IS THAT".

Would you have liked that trailer then? No...but it would have been interesting!
Old 08-21-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, you don't HAVE to love it. It should have been used in the Catwoman trailer.

"HOW FUCKED UP IS THAT".

Would you have liked that trailer then? No...but it would have been interesting!
It also would have been truthful advertising.
Old 09-30-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Movie looks interesting.
Old 09-30-04, 01:22 PM
Banned

it looks awesome. it might be very cool and scary.
Old 10-01-04, 03:46 AM
Banned

for those who saw it, can you provide some spoiler tagged comments on the film and what happens, what you did and didn't like about it?
Old 10-01-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I've actually read that the movie isn't as gory as one would be lead to believe and that a lot of the stuff is left to the imagination like Se7en. I also read that the movie relies almost entirely on its concept and does nothing to make you care about the characters.
Old 10-01-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
I saw this film in February. I can't believe how much praise it's getting. I was bored to tears. I think this film will suffer from Blair Witch syndrome: Being overhyped to the point of people expecting to die from fear in the theaters.

Blair Witch's poster had the tagline "SCARY AS HELL" from the Rolling Stone review. Now, if you found Blair Witch 'scary as hell', then maybe you'll like saw. I found it boring as hell. The acting is really terrible among the two male leads (Especially Cary Elwes, surprisingly). I went with 5 other people, and they all had the same reaction.

I've noticed that on sites such as Bloody-Disgusting.com they are saying it's the most terrifying and freaky movie in years. Um....It's got a few nifty ideas in it for killing people, yeah, i'll give it that. But other than those scenes, I was really let down.
I was honestly afraid of hearing something like this, and now I'm pissed.

When the Blair Witch was released, I still had some hope going into it because of the "sigh"....original way it was filmed. But to hear Seantn down it the way he did.....I know he's not full of shit and that he wouldn't disgrace the film for no reason - I'm very upset at this - to hear a fellow member of the forum who wouldn't bash it for no reason and honestly say it sucked, well, I'm let down.......but I'll prob. still fall victim to the "I just got to see it!!" bullshit.
Old 10-05-04, 03:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I saw this film in February. I can't believe how much praise it's getting. I was bored to tears.
Watched it yesterday, and I'll take it one further: this is one of the worst films of the year.

Polish up that Razzie for Cary Elwes...dear lord was he bad. And that's saying something when his co-stars are Monica Potter and Danny Glover.

It's SHOWGIRLS for 2004. Don't let Lions Gate's publicity machine fool you.
Old 03-15-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
Just rented this film and boy was it a disappointment, which is surprising as I wasn't expecting much. The film has some interesting ideas, however they couldn't sustain the bad dialogue, characters I didn't care about, way too flashy direction (I felt as if I was watching a Marilyn Manson video), and bad acting.

Speaking of bad acting, I must echo Scott Shelton, Cary Elwes gave one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time, especially towards the end of the film when he was over-acting like crazy. And what was with that clown makeup they gave him, it looked ridiculous! By the end of the film he was whiter than Michael Jackson.

Oh, and I was in awe at the line which was voiced by one of the detectives about the bad guy; "he really can't be called a murderer". If you believe this statement then I'm guessing you had no problem with the logic of this film.
Old 03-15-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymole
Just rented this film and boy was it a disappointment, which is surprising as I wasn't expecting much. The film has some interesting ideas, however they couldn't sustain the bad dialogue, characters I didn't care about, way too flashy direction (I felt as if I was watching a Marilyn Manson video), and bad acting.

Speaking of bad acting, I must echo Scott Shelton, Cary Elwes gave one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time, especially towards the end of the film when he was over-acting like crazy. And what was with that clown makeup they gave him, it looked ridiculous! By the end of the film he was whiter than Michael Jackson.

Oh, and I was in awe at the line which was voiced by one of the detectives about the bad guy; "he really can't be called a murderer". If you believe this statement then I'm guessing you had no problem with the logic of this film.
Hmm, i thought a similar line was said by Elwes' character towards the end of the film, although it might have been said previously by one of the detectives too.
Old 03-15-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
Hmm, i thought a similar line was said by Elwes' character towards the end of the film, although it might have been said previously by one of the detectives too.
I'm not sure about the end, but it was definitely said by the Asian detective in the middle of the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.