Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shows that "Hit Their Stride" AFTER Season 2

taking a cue from the currently running 24 thread:

Originally posted by nny

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rogue588
Isn't it true [for the most part] that a show usually hits its stride around the third season?

[The only example I could think of right now is the X-Files. Feel free to back my statement up with other examples. ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have we ever done a thread on this?

For me, seasons 3-5 seem to be the best, but there's been a recent trend of really good first seasons lately. Alias, Smallville, and 24 all had great first seasons and then fell off greatly in quality. Even though I've enjoyed both shows since their first season, I wonder if The Shield and Nip/Tuck will ever be able to equal the greatness of their first seasons. And for a completely different show, I think ATHF got much worse after the first season.

Maybe it's because shows are getting cancelled faster nowadays, so the shows with weaker first seasons aren't getting the opportunity to become great.
so, what shows "hit their stride" after the completion of Season 2? (This does not necessarily mean Season 3, mind you...)

my nomination goes for The Simpsons which had a few excellent episodes in Season 3 but truly started being brilliant in Season 4.
-di doctor-

Last edited by DrRingDing; 08-20-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-20-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No doubt Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5 all got much better in their third seasons.
Old 08-20-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Simpsons
Seinfeld
Cheers
L.A. Law (although it was very good in S1 & S2)
Law & Order (addition of Jerry Orbach as Briscoe)

As for the original post. Smallville - a great season 1? S2 was far superior to S1. Of course, mediocrity set in again in S3.
Old 08-20-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

maybe i should start a complimentary thread about great first and second seasons followed by lackluster seasons for the rest of the course!
Old 08-20-04, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag...after its move from NBC and the changes CBS made for its second season.
Old 08-20-04, 01:49 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buffy, Angel, Simpsons, Seinfeld, South Park. Those are probably my favorite shows that lasted at least 5 seasons and they all got much better after season 2. For some reason I can't think of too many others right now, but very few shows that I love make it to 5 seasons.

Two that come to mind that I know I'm in the minority on are Sopranos and SFU. Seasons 3 and 4 of Sopranos were definitely my favorite and season 3 of SFU is infinitely superior to the other seasons.

I have a tendency to hate the second season of shows for some reason. I hated season 2 of SFU and 24, thought Buffy season 2 was incredibly overrated, and season 2 of Once and Again was by far the worst TV Herskovitz and Zwick ever did. I really dislike the monster of the week formula, but I still thought everything about season 2 of Smallville was worse than season 1. Even though season 1 was mostly MOTW, they always saved at least the last few minutes of the episode for some great moments from the long lasting arcs. I guess the writers weren't good enough to make the quality last longer than a few minutes because the plots for the last 2 seasons have been pathetic.

Last edited by nny; 08-20-04 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Stargate SG-1 hit their stride probably 18 ep. into season 2. So the first solid season would be 3.
Old 08-21-04, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree w/ Mike, Stargate SG1 is the first one that came to mind. Although I think it took a little longer than he did I don't think it really picked up until the middle of the third season w/ the 4th being the first solid one.
Old 08-21-04, 11:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by nny
thought Buffy season 2 was incredibly overrated
Agree. It's often touted as the best, because of the Spike/Drusilla/Angelus stuff. But a lot of my least favorite episodes are in this season, cheezy or just plain bad stuff like Bad Eggs, Inca Mummy Girl, and Go Fish, bringing down the overall rating.
Old 08-21-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Futurama. The first two seasons were very good, but the true highlights, like "Jurrasic Bark" came later.
Old 08-21-04, 02:48 PM
Banned

The X-Files. Season 3. Best of the entire series.

That is all.
Old 08-21-04, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Futurama. The first two seasons were very good, but the true highlights, like "Jurrasic Bark" came later.
So true! I think they were really hitting their stride when it got cancelled.
Old 08-21-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Pretty much every show that makes it past the 2nd season improves.

The better question would be what show doesn't improve after a couple seasons? Well, maybe 24, or Alias - but those were so high-concept to begin with that there's realy nowhere else they could go. And of course, some shows run out of steam by their 6th or 7th season (I'm lookin' at you X-Files and Buffy), but when most shows make it past their 2nd season, their 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons are usually considered their best.
Old 08-21-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
St. Elsewhere

Here's a show that started "pretty good" and only got "GREAT" after they jettisoned some of those superfluous characters from the first Season.

Best Show Ever.

Don't believe me? I'll bre--
Old 08-22-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
My memory is fuzzy but the first two seasons of ER had their moments, but season 3(the whole Omar Epps storyline, I think it is 3) is where it picked up. (I was hooked from the first ep. though)
Old 08-22-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Red Dwarf
Old 08-22-04, 10:45 AM

I am looking in my crystal ball and see.....

Arrested Develpoment
Old 08-22-04, 02:45 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by danganet
I am looking in my crystal ball and see.....

Arrested Develpoment
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The show's pretty good, but I think it has the potential to be great.
Old 08-23-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As for the original post. Smallville - a great season 1? S2 was far superior to S1. Of course, mediocrity set in again in S3.
Totally agree. S2 of Smallville was the best, culminating in a season ender that had multiple cliffhangers. This past season of Smallville had some top notch episodes, usually revolving around Lex Luthor, but it still didn't reach the heights of S2.