Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Denon 2105 receiver & Denon 1910 DVD Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a home theater newbie and want some opinions before I splurge. I'm getting a plasma TV for HD (probably a Panasonic), DVD player & receiver and speakers for 5.1 (5.1 for starters and maybe 7.1).

Below are some quick question from a home theater newbie.

1. Anyone have any opinions about the Denon products listed in the subject line?

2. Should I connect the DVD player to the receiver via optical digital or coaxial?

3. Anyone know if the Panasonic Plasma TVs with cable card slot is compatible with Comcast cable (in the Bay Area)? I "heard" that if do not use the Comcast digital cable box that pay per view/menus will not work (ie. I will not be able to communicate with Comcast). I'm willing to lose those features if I can eliminate the Comcast box and use the TV's remote.

Thanks in advance, Robert
Old 08-27-04, 04:42 PM

Robert I don't have that recvr model, but you will probably be very happy with the Denon recvrs.

Regarding question #2 - I would use digital coax. they are a little more durable than the optical cables. If you bend or accidentally step on, or get a kink in an optical cable, you may be left with a very expensive jump-rope. Performance wise, there should be no difference between opt and dig coax. good luck!
Old 08-28-04, 04:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The digital coax might be cheaper too. And since it's digital, no matter how the bits get there, the quality is the same.
Old 08-29-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Denon DVD-1910 isn't due out until September, so you might have to wait a little while to get some user reports.

Last edited by nekobus; 08-29-04 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Denon receivers tend to be short on digital coax inputs. They favor Toslink optical inputs for the most part. I think my receiver has one coax and something like 8 Toslink. So, depending on what else you may be hooking up, you may need to reserve that coax input for something else and use Toslink on the DVD player instead.

As others mentioned, there is no quality difference between the two.