Reload this Page >

Paul W.S Anderson talks AVP.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-19-04, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

Interesting read... apparently it's not all his fault for such a disgrace of a movie.

P.S

There WILL be an R-Rated cut on DVD.

EDIT:

Here's the transcript from the site for those of you who can't access it.

Paul W.S. Anderson Responds to 'Alien vs Predator'
Get more on Alien Vs Predator | Posted 08.19.04 @ 12:02 am ]

There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding Paul Anderson's Alien vs Predator, which hit theaters last week. Whether it's on IMDB or right here at Mr. Disgusting's review, people either hated the film or loved it. But what everyone really wants to know is what was with all the talk of the movie not being completed and why is it rated PG-13? If you read on, all of your questions will be answered by the director himself Paul W.S. Anderson...

LAgrappleguy writes in the following (also posted on IMDB):
Hi Brad... There was an industry screening of AVP the other night, and I was lucky enough to attend. It included a Q&A with the filmmakers. I was able to ask some of the questions on my mind, but I couldn't get them all in. Regardless, many of the people who were also there had similar questions.

First of all, this screening was made up of industry professionals and filmmakers. No actors, but David Fincher, (Director of Alien 3) was there, which was cool. Now the audience were trying to be respectful in the beginning but as the film unfolded, the audience ended up really trashing the film. It was astounding to see Anderson's colleagues and friends openly making fun of his film, with him in the room!

When the Predator took off his helmet in front of Lex after the explosions someone shouted "Gimme some sugar, baby." I mean, this movie was bad, but I didn't expect these people to be so blatant about it.

When Anderson and the effects guys approached the tables, they were smirking with each other. The first subject that came up, no thanks to me, was the length and PG-13 rating.

So here it is, from the horses mouth.

About the studio's cutting of the film, which he had no control over, he said, and I quote, "All of the best scenes were cut." Anderson was obviously very annoyed at the way the film was released. However, this was not purely because of the PG-13 limitation, which incidentally, the studio enforced THREE WEEKS before the release date! It was always going to be R until then. Part of the reason for the cutting was that some of the effects were not ready by the time the release date came around. The effects team had very little time to do anything.

As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although they don't know the release date yet.

Without saying anything that could dig his own grave, Anderson tactfully pinned the fault of the poor quality of the film on the studio's cut. We all know that the script and performances was not quite up to par either, but then it was time for me to ask my first question.

"What specifically, makes you [Anderson] such a fan of the original 6 films?"

He went on to say that he thought they each had their own unique voice and were incredibly creative within a genre that often leads to purely formulaic films (ahem, mate, this is you!). He said that he was attempting to add his own unique voice to the series while paying hommage to the original source material. He also thought that the creatures, were the two greatest inventions in Science Fiction history. Someone then said, "Beyond lightsabers?" and he replied, "yes, even beyond lightsabers."

Some other effects questions were asked, which had some cool insights. The explosion sequence encompassed for half the budget, which was only 65mil in the first place (for a film like this, this is nothing), and all the shifting of the walls, yes ALL OF IT, was completely CGI. There were no moving live sets. Having watched it again, I have to say, I couldn't tell, and all my friends know that if there's some CG in a film, I'll see it. That impressed me. Also, they changed the appearance of the Queen slightly, adding a ridge to her crown and taking away, what they call, the "high heals" that she wore (the second reverse knee). Also, 80% of all the shots with an Alien in it was the hydraulic Alien they built.

Anyway, effects aside, I asked another question.

"I know that the AVP project has been surrounded by controversy since the first attempt in the early nineties. Why did you choose to not use any of the pre-existing stories, the original comic series, the Peter Briggs script, etc?"

He told me that he wanted to make the film his own. He also proclaimed that he'd had the idea for this film ever since seeing Predator 2. I thought that was probably ego-driven BS, but regardless, it's what he said. He also said that the Peter Briggs script is completely off-limits, shelved indefinately by Dark Horse and they won't let anyone tough it. Sounds to me like he tried, heh heh.

Later I asked some technical nerd questions. I wasn't the only one. I started by stating that I noticed some glaring continuity errors between this film and the pre-established occurences in the previous 6 films. Anderson stopped me before I could continue and said due to the "mangling" of the film, there was a lot left out. I asked, "Does that include the acceleration of the alien life cycle or was that just conveniant."

Whoops, I had hit a nerve. He shook his head. "No, no, the machine that the Predators built to house the Queen pumps her full of hormones that accelerate the birth of the creatures. If we'd seen the REAL film, we'd know that."

The answer to why Aliens attacked the incubated predator was that the alien inside the Predator was not sanctified by the Aliens because it was essentially a different species due to the DNA reflex the Alien's possess. Okay, I guess I could go with that.

The Q&A wrapped up with talks about the digital intermediate and the difference between working with Super35 and Anamorphic.

I tried asking a last question but they ended it before I could. I pretty much hogged the Q&A as it was.

Afterwards I went and shook Anderson's hand. He remembered me from a mutual acquaintances birthday party. I told him I couldn't wait for the Director's Cut and was really nice. I asked about a sequal and he said he'd thought about it but nothing concrete was in motion. They were waiting to see about the returns. I told him I had what he neede and I would send him my treatment through CAA. I assured him it was a direct sequal and he said, "Good." I then said, so they're letting you have a Director's cut, huh? He said, "yeah, it'll be great." Then I said, "can I give you some advice from the youngest generation of filmmakers, namely, me." He said, "Sure, go for it." I said, "The facehuggers are fast, damn fast, get rid of the matrix shot when they jump out of the eggs for the first time." He said he'd take that into consideration. Then I started talking about the reviews. I talked about IMDB and how much of a "Lover Versus Haters" war had erupted. He seemed amused by that and then said,
to my surprise, well, as a filmmaker, I'm satisfied with the film, but as a fan of the originals, this cut really pisses me off, so it makes sense I guess." he said he'd check it out (the IMDB boards) but I can't gaurantee that will happen.

All in all I was really happy about what he had to say. It was great to hear a filmmaker so honest about his work and he knows that he has a long way to go before he is any good as a filmmaker. Having talked to him before, I know that the films he is making now are films that, he feels, will only get him to a place where he can really excel.

Oh well, there it is, hope that shed some light on some stuff. Oh, and apparently, the book they wrote is based on the original R-rated cut, so that'll tell you what is missing.

Source: LAgrappleguy, IMDB

Last edited by dryars; 08-19-04 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
That is an interesting read... to bad it's still one of the worst movies I have ever seen
Old 08-19-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely an interesting read... but I still don't buy the "Hey the studio messed with the movie" argument. I'm sure there were plenty of studio-imposed cuts to get this down to a PG-13... but adding more gore and violence doesn't improve the film dramatically. It still has major problems on many levels (script, action choreography, acting).
Old 08-19-04, 10:35 AM

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/in...mplate=newsfull

Interesting read... apparently it's not all his fault for such a disgrace of a movie.

P.S

There WILL be an R-Rated cut on DVD.
Boy...how could the studio mess this one up so bad? Telling them they had to cut it to PG three weeks before release? LOL That is so stupid. In an attempt to get the 17 and under crowd they ended up pissing everyone off.
Old 08-19-04, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Wow - it would take some serious editing to put that crap fest back into any watchable shape. We'll have to see what the DVD is like before I pass judgement.
Old 08-19-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Can't read the article from work. Apparently my company's filter objects to the word "bloody" in the URL. How long is the article? Can it be reposted here, or is it too long?
Old 08-19-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Husker
Boy...how could the studio mess this one up so bad? Telling them they had to cut it to PG three weeks before release? LOL That is so stupid. In an attempt to get the 17 and under crowd they ended up pissing everyone off.
The thing's made $45 million in 5 days. I don't think the studio feels they made a mistake.
Old 08-19-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
The thing's made $45 million in 5 days. I don't think the studio feels they made a mistake.
Actually, believe it or not, most studios consider it bad when a movie drops 23% on its second day (a weekend), and 27% more from Saturday to Sunday. That's a drop of almost 50% from Friday to Sunday ... and the weekends are supposed to do *better* than the Friday.

It generally means that the word-of-mouth is horrible, and that a $60 mil budget (plus marketing costs, but I haven't seen much of that, so that might not be too high) isn't neccessarily gonna be made back.

Check the numbers; that movie is sinking *fast*. [But I will say, I agree with you to the extent that, if it had been R-rated, it wouldn't have had even that big Friday, it probably would've disappeared much quicker. The R-rating would've made a few bits more satisfying, but it wouldn't have fixed the major problems, and it would probably limit the audience that much more.]
Old 08-19-04, 11:33 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm curious how the R-rated version pans out, but don't know if I can sit through this thing a second time.
Old 08-19-04, 11:46 AM

Just did a copy/paste of the article.
Old 08-19-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thats a shame, why do the damn studios mess with Aliens so much, first with Fincher (who was in audience for that showing) to this one now.... Its a shame!!!
Old 08-19-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for posting the transcript. I was also having work related fire wall problems getting to that page.

I am going to go see AvP this weekend with my free ticket from the Predator DVD. I will consider AvP a trailer for the unrated/rated R DVD release.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 08-19-04 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-19-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Thanks for the article, it was a good read.

Also:

Spoiler:
I don't think an R rated version could save the shittiness that boiled up when things got cheesy and the Predator gave the girl that alien head/tail spear. After that it's hard not to laugh. everything before it was rather fun though
Old 08-19-04, 12:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD.
Hopefully this has something to do with either:

1) Weyland or his company
or
2) The Aliens/Predators themselves

And not the rest of the disaposable characters. Unfortunately my biggest problem with the movie can't be fixed: the too-stocky roided-up build of the Predators. Not only because of appearance, but I HATED the way they moved.
Old 08-19-04, 12:58 PM

This movie was crap. I have the other Alien / Predator films in my DVD collection, but I'm seriously considering passing on this one. At least I didn't have to pay for a ticket.
Old 08-19-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I was going to go see this this weekend but now i think i will wait for the DVD.
Old 08-19-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was one movie that made me wish all the human characters would die already.

The ones with the funny accents especially (whether it be Irish or Italian).

I saw this movie using my free ticket fm Predator SE dvd and I must say that with almost a full theatre, almost everyone in the audience were snickering and laughing at what we were seeing up on the screen.
Old 08-19-04, 01:41 PM
JM1

Well it definitely sounds like damage limitation on Andersons part to me.

Let's be honest, the AVP franchise now includes comics, kids dolls/toys and video games. Fox are aware that there is a large teenage audience out there for this movie and they certainly want them to see the movie.

If Anderson did not realise this going in he's even more naive than I thought.

It should also be said that if any of his previous movies had been critical or even significantly commercial successes he would have had the respect of the studio to make the movie he wanted with no interference.

But basically because he is such a journeyman hack director the studios treat him like a child - they give him a few dollars to put something on the screen, then take it away from him at the end and tell him he's been naughty and broken it, but never mind, they will make it all better.

I would have more respect for the man if he had walked away from it sooner.
Old 08-19-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of enjoyed it but the cheese was way too much, it started out great. a nice slow build up. If the film was 2 1.2 hours in length that would have been fine but it was quite short (101 mins) so it left no real time for the action (which is after all what we all went to see )

And one of the unintentially funniest scene in film history really spoilt a lots of it where
Spoiler:
The Woman wears the alien head like a hand puppet

Lets hope the DC improves what could have been a very cool movie.
Old 08-19-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dazed
And one of the unintentially funniest scene in film history really spoilt a lots of it where
My pick would be
Spoiler:
when the Italian (I think) guy says, "Oh, this is all starting to make sense". That he then goes into an explanation, which leads to a flashback, of stuff he couldn't possibly know was just icing on the cake.
Old 08-19-04, 02:09 PM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
When the Predator took off his helmet in front of Lex after the explosions someone shouted "Gimme some sugar, baby." I mean, this movie was bad, but I didn't expect these people to be so blatant about it.

Nice!
Old 08-19-04, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by REL77
thats a shame, why do the damn studios mess with Aliens so much, first with Fincher (who was in audience for that showing) to this one now.... Its a shame!!!
How? you ask. Humm, Mr. Studio Exec thinks:
Aliens=Money
Predator=Money
Therefore:
Aliens + Predator = Mo MONEY!
Old 08-19-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really feel that Paul is just trying to pass the buck on why the movie sucked so badly.

Even with an R rating, more gore does not equal better story. The faults were not in the lack of gore because the off screen kills where all over the place in the two franchises. This film could have been really good for a PG-13 film if only the story was better. No amount of cut scenes could change how cheesy the whole predator/human team up was. Or the fact that
Spoiler:
one single alien killed two predators in a matter of three minutes

And paul anderson knew about the extreme limited time frame he had to complete the film before he jumped on the project. Effects were not finished intime for a lot of shots but that's the way the cookie crumbles when you are on a deadline in a production. My problem is he took everything that was succesful in the predator franchise and tossed it out the window.

but of course I'll buy the dvd cause it will be dirt cheap and it's a fox title.
Old 08-19-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the movie was just ok. Nothing special! I really hope the DVD fills in the numerous gaps. I am very interested in the sub-plot that has been mentioned.

I am not so sure the PG13 rating helped pull in people....maybe it did but from what I saw on opening night, most people in the packed theater appeared to be mid 20's on up in age. I think the people that really wanted to see this were raised on the alien and predator movies which date back to the late 70's and early 80's.

Anyway, I will be buying the DVD.
Old 08-19-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I saw a lot of kids in my theater. It's a mix of those who grew up with the franchise and those who grew up with the merchindise of the franchise. Such as the video games and comics. So there was a lot of folks of both kinds.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.