Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Sugarland Express review.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-04, 09:10 AM
JM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sugarland Express review.

Well, not a full review, just a few observations really.

Been waiting for this one for a long time. First saw it in the UK around 73/74 on a double bill (remember those?) with The Front Page (Lemmon/Mathau). It was the second feature, and was described as a "hilarious car chase" movie!(sic).

Great to finally have it on DVD, and it looks pretty good. No quibbles about the pic quality, looks pretty good for a 30 year old movie. Sound is ...good. Occasionally I strained to hear some of the dialogue, and though it's describes as stereo, I could hear no evidence of panning of any sort at the front, sounded mono to me. I don't have a problem with that, I would have expected it to be mono anyway.

Same with extras, I am just happy to have it really. A short retrospective doc a la Duel would have been nice though - some of the scenes with the hundreds of cars must have been daunting to shoot for a young director, and it would have been nice to know how Speilberg approached.

So what stands out after all these years?

The superb protography for one - wonderful use of the wide open expanses, great sunsets, the obligatory dolly shot, eyes reflected in mirrors etc.

Goldie Hawn's performance, possibly her best. Slightly kooky, almost unhinged (especially towards the end) but always watchable.

The use of non-actors, which adds a documentary feel to some of the scenes.

The sheer spectacle of those cars lined up end to end across the highway for miles.

The powerful ending - shocking though tragically inevitable.

It's funny, everyone has heard of Duel, everyone knows Jaws and all the rest, but this has become like Speilbergs lost, forgotten movie. Most people I talk to (apart from those in the know like your good selves) have never heard of it. Maybe it's a UK thing, maybe it's better known in the US.

But it is a classic, a little gem of a movie.
Old 08-19-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is our full review...

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...re=date_posted