Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any news about Big Trouble in Little China? Prices seem to be down

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any news about Big Trouble in Little China? Prices seem to be down

This probably belongs on the re-release thread, but I want to get quicker response because I am wondering if I should grab one of these up.

Until recently, I hardly ever saw the 2-disc SE selling for under $20 + S/H. A few days ago, I posted here that there was a copy at Amazon marketplace for $11.99 + $2.49 S/H (someone grabbed it fairly quickly)

Since then, I have seen several copies in the $12-16 shipped price range, including one sealed, all from established and reputable sellers on eBay, Amazon and half.com - although the sellrs are mostly music or book dealers who might not be aware of the rarity of this DVD.

I am just wondering if anyone has heard rumors of a reprinting of this, or can think of a reason for the seeming sudden drop in prices? DVDs123 is still paying $15 for this title, same as they have for a while.

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-17-04 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't have any news for it, but I always thought that BTILC and Patton 2 disc editions were prime candidates for re-release by Fox when they started numbering 2 disc sets.

If you don't own it already, I would say pick it up, it is a great set.

Another cause for concern might be that recently bootlegs have popped up on eBay, Amazon, etc?
Old 08-17-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this is more a case of the discrepancy between the price people *try* to sell it for and what the market will *actually* pay for it.

I bought the (two-)disc from E-bay about a year ago, and I paid about $15 with shipping. But, even then, people were trying to sell it for $25-$30, and sometimes they'd get a bite and somebody'd buy it. In general, though, if the price was $20 with shipping, the person wasn't taking their time to find a cheaper one.

But, I don't know, maybe I'm way off.
Old 08-17-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I think this is more a case of the discrepancy between the price people *try* to sell it for and what the market will *actually* pay for it.

I bought the (two-)disc from E-bay about a year ago, and I paid about $15 with shipping. But, even then, people were trying to sell it for $25-$30, and sometimes they'd get a bite and somebody'd buy it. In general, though, if the price was $20 with shipping, the person wasn't taking their time to find a cheaper one.

But, I don't know, maybe I'm way off.
Just when I posted about the other set for sale on Amazon - Thursday or Friday, I forget - I did a search on ebay and saw most completed sales for used copies at $20 - 25 + shipping, and all the other copies at Amazon were $29 or up. There were a couple auctions which had gone for less than $20 (mostly sellers with limited feedback), but now there are "Buy it now" auctions and other non-bidding sales for less than $15 - I haven't seen that in the time I have been periodically watching this disc (last couple months).

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-17-04 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 09:13 PM

Thanks to this thread, I just found a sealed copy on eBay for $10.99.
I've always wanted this version but settled for the single disc cause the 2 disc set was too hard to find in used stores and too expensive online...until now.
Old 08-17-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread says you're welcome
Old 08-17-04, 10:28 PM

I would also recommend maybe trying Borders. The 2 Borders stores that are close to me both have a couple of copies of the 2-disc Big Trouble in Little China. I bought mine at one of them over a year ago and they still have some.
Old 08-17-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by welb25
I would also recommend maybe trying Borders. The 2 Borders stores that are close to me both have a couple of copies of the 2-disc Big Trouble in Little China. I bought mine at one of them over a year ago and they still have some.
And where would that be?
Old 08-17-04, 10:51 PM

Indianapolis area. The last time I went to the Castleton location they had some. I just did a quick search of the inventory of a few random Borders around the country on their website and about half of the ones I searched had the 2-disc, including the Chapel Hill, Central Raleigh, and Charlotte-Stonecrest locations. They didn't have a store location listed in Durham. Their price is $23.99. You can probably get it cheaper but if you are worried about bootlegs, etc. then this might be a good option.

Last edited by welb25; 08-17-04 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried searching the website, but didn't realize you could search individual store inventory.

Thanks but $23.99 is more than I want to spend on that flick - I will take my chances at amazon or half.com, just be sure to buy from reputable sellers.

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-17-04 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a screwed-up listing on eBay right now - this guy has 13 available, listed at $10.79 buy-it-now - but he shows pictures of both versions in the listing, and has the UPC for the 2-disc and description of the 1-disc (dual format full and wide). It is linked to the page for the SE.

Not a bootlegger - over 2000 feedback, 99.8% positive - just seems careless with his listing.

eBay listing

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-18-04 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Single disc since no mention of DTS was made within the auction.

Originally posted by NCYankee
There is a screwed-up listing on eBay right now - this guy has 13 available, listed at $10.79 buy-it-now - but he shows pictures of both versions in the listing, and has the UPC for the 2-disc and description of the 1-disc (dual format full and wide). It is linked to the page for the SE.

Not a bootlegger - over 2000 feedback, 99.8% positive - just seems careless with his listing.

eBay listing
Old 08-18-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Single disc since no mention of DTS was made within the auction.
Possibly - or maybe is using the wrong stock description. It seems odd that he would have the wrong UPC code.

I emailed the seller but no reply yet.
Old 08-18-04, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was lucky enough to get this from Best Buy when they had the single disk version at $10.00 but put the 2 disk version pic in the ad.
Old 08-19-04, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snagged a copy at half.com for $8.99, from a seller with good feedback (99.2% on 244 transactions).

There is still a copy for $9.39 - but the seller doesn't seem real reliable abotu keeping his listings up to date, only confirming 81% of orders (though feedback is 95%). I emailed this seller 3 times to be sure it was 2-disc - half.com's layout is a little confusing, and it seems things get mis-linked a lot. No response, but I was going to go ahead and buy it anyway, figuring I would be protected by using a credit card - when I saw this better deal from a better seller, and the condition was "opened but never played".

I was tempted to buy the sealed one for $10.99 + $3.50 S/H, but I figured I would probably never open it for fear of losing value (in that situation with my Blues Brothers DVD) so I bought used for $3 less after shipping.

Edit : Damn! Turned out to be the 1-disc listed incorrectly. I emailed the seller telling him if it was a mistake, to cancel and he did after apologizing profusely.

Oh well....

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-19-04 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-20-04, 11:34 AM

The one I ordered on eBay 2 days ago turned out to be the 2 disc as advertised. I received it today and it was indeed sealed.
Here's the auction listing in case this seller offers more, at least you can trust this person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6316958127
Old 08-23-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got a copy from a legit seller (900 ratings, 99.9% positive) - $9.38 + $2.49 at half.com.

He had it listed for $13.95, buit when he saw Djangomusic's copy not selling at $9.39 he dropped the price. I emailed Djangos at least 6 times to verify the 2-disc CE - no reply. I emailed this guy to ask if the insert was there - he responded within 1 hour. (He already had stated that neither disc was scratched in his comments).

I think Dango727 got the better deal with a sealed copy for $2.70 more, but I know I would probably be reluctant to open it, so it is better that I got it used since I actually plan to watch it.

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-24-04 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by NCYankee
I think Dango777 got the better deal with a sealed copy for $2.70 more, but I know I would probably be reluctant to open it, so it is better that I got it used since I actually plan to watch it.
I planned on watching mine, so I immediately tore the plastic off as soon as I pulled it out of the envelope.
Old 08-24-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dango727
I planned on watching mine, so I immediately tore the plastic off as soon as I pulled it out of the envelope.
Heh heh - less painless that way, like pulling off a band-aid in one yank, eh?

I just like sealed DVDs, especially OOP ones - they look so nice and pristine in their shrink wrap. That is probably because I bought most of my first 150 or so DVDs used from Blockbuster.