Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Babylon 5 TV Movie Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Babylon 5 TV Movie Discussion Thread

The boxset of movies finally gets released today!
(my copy shipped from Amazon. )

"The Gathering"
"In the Beginning"
"River of Souls"
"Thirdspace"
"A Call to Arms"

I for one am happy to finally have the complete story on DVD. Once I finish the second season of West Wing, I plan on finally watching everything in it's proper order.

I'm posting the das preferred viewing order below. (just so I can easily find it later)

Originally posted by das Monkey
If I were building a definitive order, it'd likely go like this.

The Gathering

Season 1: Signs and Portents

Season 2: The Coming of Shadows

Season 3: Point of No Return

Season 4: No Surrender, No Retreat I

Thirdspace (Either directly after 'Into the Fire' or after 'The Illusion of Truth' ... anywhere between 'Into the Fire' and 'No Surrender, No Retreat' would be fine though)

Season 4: No Surrender, No Retreat II

In the Beginning

Season 5: Wheel of Fire (I'd watch 'Phoenix Rising' before 'Day of the Dead', even though their aired flipped - doesn't really matter as 'Day of the Dead' is a stand-alone, but it flows better that way)

The River of Souls

A Call to Arms

Crusade

The Legend of the Rangers
Link
Old 08-17-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'd watch River of Sould and Call to Arms before Sleeping In Light, though.
Old 08-17-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can do whatever you like.

das
Old 08-18-04, 12:45 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About a call to arms:

Spoiler:

Does anyone remember an anime series from the late to mid 80's called Star Blazers? If you don't, allow me to summarize a few key points for you from the second series of the show.

Earth builds the Yamato a prototype battleship that is a highbred of human and alien technology, equipped with a bow mounted planet busting superweapon that drains the ship for a brief period after firing. The crew of the Yamato receives a mysterious message from space about a threat to earth. Fearing the worst and with nothing to go on, they steal the Yamato and blast out of spacedock. Arriving at a dead world, they find the remains of the last inhabitant with a message - that a planet busting super weapon is heading right for earth, and that the Star Force is the only hope of stopping them. The Yamato races back to earth just ahead of the enemy (after alerting the earth fleet of the danger), and there is a huge battle with these bad guys. Victory is only achieved through great personal sacrifice.

There's a whole lot of minor details that I'm skipping - but those are the key points.

Oh, and main commander of the earth fleet? Captain Gideon.

Or how about season one, Earth is being slowly poisoned from a bombardment from space and will become a dead world in one year, and the Yamato is in a race against time to reach a distant planet and to find a cure.

Now while I love JMS and his work - wow, did he TOTALY steal the premise of Space Cruiser Yamato down to the last nut and bolt. One or two similiar plot points and I could dismiss it as happenstance - great minds think alike. But man, did he get seriously 'inspired' by Matsumoto's work.

In fact I think the only major plot point not included in Call to Arms was the Gamalon leader Desslok as a nemesis for the Star Force.
Old 08-18-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
The difference was that the whole "saving the Earth from a virus" really had very little to do with the point of Crusade. It was just the catalyst to get the story going. (The cure would have been found early in the second season.) Unfortunately, we never were allowed to see where Crusade would have gone, except for the hints in the scripts that were published but never shot.

And of course there's the reality that Star Blazers isn't at all the first science fiction story to use the basic story line. There are a number of stories and novels written decades before Star Blazers that used it. (And I loved Star Blazers when I was a kid, but man it screams 70s.)
Old 08-18-04, 05:54 PM
Suspended

I agree that the series would have been light-years away from any of the Yamato story arcs. I mean JMS is famous for the mid-story bait and switch, everything is not as it seems.

Still, as far as Call to Arms goes - well, I'm still going with my original assessment of "Yikes!"
Old 08-18-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally posted by dstrauss
Unfortunately, we never were allowed to see where Crusade would have gone, except for the hints in the scripts that were published but never shot.
What I've heard:

Spoiler:

- A cure would've been found in the second season, and the series would spin off in a new direction. Probably having to do with conspiracies within the ranks of Earthforce and the Technomages.

- Gideon would've become a Technomage by the end of the series.

- The thief girl... she would've come into possession of a sword. (Possibly THE Excalibur?)

- The Apocalypse Box. JMS has said that it's very old, pre-dating even the Shadows and Vorlons. It spoke with Gideon's own voice. One other member of the crew knew about (probably Max Eilerson) and that it wasn't Galen because if he knew it was aboard the ship, he would've tossed it out of an airlock because he knew what it was.

- The Technomages left the galaxy (in "Geometry of Shadows") because the Shadows were returning, and their abilities come from Shadowtech

From the unproduced scripts:

The ship that Gideon saw destroy his old ship was an Earthforce ship that was designed with Shadowtech that got out of the control of its EA masters.
Old 08-18-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone else notice that they screwed up the label art. The text is correct but all of the pictures are the same as the season 5 set disc for disc. The insert art is right and that art is usually duplicated on the labels. Oh well, so don't expect the label pictures to have anything to do with the movies.
Old 08-19-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What? No Bando and a dancing banana?
Old 08-19-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
BTW, I sampled the commentaries for all 5 movies last week (I got it early), and they are all great and very much worth listening to.
Old 08-19-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kevin M. Dean
Did anyone else notice that they screwed up the label art. The text is correct but all of the pictures are the same as the season 5 set disc for disc. The insert art is right and that art is usually duplicated on the labels. Oh well, so don't expect the label pictures to have anything to do with the movies.
I saw that also and it really struck me as being extremely lazy. But Warners have never been 100% behind the show, so I found it oddly appropiate that they'd let this slip through.
Old 08-20-04, 06:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, on a related note... I just ordered and got Babylon 5 Season 1 Disc 1 in the mail from Netflix today. After it had already shipped I discovered that the pilot was a separate movie that wasn't on that disc. I'm finally giving the show a shot, and I'm sure if I end up liking it I'll end up watching The Gathering eventually. But how important is it that I watch The Gathering before those episodes? Will I be completely lost if I don't?
Old 08-20-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you'd be fine skipping The Gathering. I know some disagree with that position, but that's my opinion on the matter.
Old 08-20-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
"The Gathering" sets up a lot of the mysteries that will pay off during the first and later seasons... they will be revisited during the course of the series, though, but I would still recommend that anyone taking the plunge watch it first.
Old 08-20-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It won't kill you to go without it, but if you can possibly get ahold of it, try. The payoffs will be better down the road if you start at the beginning of the story.

das
Old 08-21-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Agreed. You can do okay without it, but there are things in the early part of season 1 that pay off better if you've seen it.
Old 08-21-04, 11:27 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'll probably pick it up with my next Netflix order, instead of getting s1 disc 2. So I will have only watched the first 3 or 4 eps before I go to it... that can't possibly ruin THAT much can it? I just didn't want to have to wait to watch disc 1, which I've already received, until I

1) got one of my other shipments in (probably Monday),
b) watched it and sent it back (Tuesday at the earliest), and
iii) got The Gathering in the mail (likely Friday or Saturday).

I hate wasting a Netflix block like that. I did see one of those pilot-only discs at Target for 4 bucks, which is another option... but I'd still just as soon watch an ep or two before I buy anything.
Old 08-23-04, 05:35 PM

Well, I had a completely bizarre Netflix experience with the B5 Movies. I received a DVD marked "A Call To Arms". The DVD was also marked "A Call To Arms", but when I put the DVD into the player, it was "Thridspace". Apparently, it was a mislabeled DVD from the Warner plant. Has anyone else found any of the B5 DVD's mislabeled or was I just "lucky"? (also, the B5 Movie DVD's were matte gray with the B5 logo and no full color label ate and marked "Rental Only. Not For Resale." This makes me wonder if they were piratged as well, but I would think not. Netflix has no reason to do anything underhanded.)
Old 08-24-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DRG
Well, I'll probably pick it up with my next Netflix order, instead of getting s1 disc 2. So I will have only watched the first 3 or 4 eps before I go to it... that can't possibly ruin THAT much can it? I just didn't want to have to wait to watch disc 1, which I've already received, until I

1) got one of my other shipments in (probably Monday),
b) watched it and sent it back (Tuesday at the earliest), and
iii) got The Gathering in the mail (likely Friday or Saturday).

I hate wasting a Netflix block like that. I did see one of those pilot-only discs at Target for 4 bucks, which is another option... but I'd still just as soon watch an ep or two before I buy anything.
Okay. I'm really jumping the gun here. For all I know, you'll end up hating B5. But there's something that I've wanted to do for a long time, and I'd better do it before someone beats me to it.

Heh Heh Heh

There. I feel better now.

By the way, if Netflix sends you the old release of "The Gathering", do NOT watch the other movie, "In The Beginning", which is also included on the disc. Save it for its proper place during season 4.

Last edited by Gamblor187; 08-24-04 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Okay. I'm really jumping the gun here. For all I know, you'll end up hating B5. But there's something that I've wanted to do for a long time, and I'd better do it before someone beats me to it.

Heh Heh Heh

There. I feel better now.

Old 08-24-04, 07:32 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
What? No Bando and a dancing banana?
Sorry.

I bought this the day it came out, but just got around to watching "Thirdspace" yesterday (I saw "The Gathering" and "In the Beginning" on the earlier release). It was pretty good, but now that the story is played out it doesn't have the same sense of urgency for me.
Old 08-24-04, 09:13 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by ptyrtl
Well, I had a completely bizarre Netflix experience with the B5 Movies. I received a DVD marked "A Call To Arms". The DVD was also marked "A Call To Arms", but when I put the DVD into the player, it was "Thridspace". Apparently, it was a mislabeled DVD from the Warner plant. Has anyone else found any of the B5 DVD's mislabeled or was I just "lucky"? (also, the B5 Movie DVD's were matte gray with the B5 logo and no full color label ate and marked "Rental Only. Not For Resale." This makes me wonder if they were piratged as well, but I would think not. Netflix has no reason to do anything underhanded.)

I had the exact opposite, received "Thirdspace" but the actual movie on the disk was "A Call to Arms". Regarding the rental only grey dvd's I would say about half of the new releases that I've received in the last couple of months have been like that. I assume it's a special deal netflix has with the studios. No reason for them to buy the full retail version.
Old 08-24-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't apply in this situation as the discs aren't flippers, but one thing I've noticed: Netflix will take flippers and make them into single-sided. West Wing S2 for example. I think it has more to do with the fact the people checking them back in don't have to struggle with figuring out what's what rather than the fact it makes us rent two discs over one flipper.

Warner Bros. seems to have the most number of these "rental only" discs for some reason.
Old 08-25-04, 08:33 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I wasn't overly impressed with "River of Souls". First, I just didn't buy Martin Sheen as a Soul Hunter. Second,
Spoiler:
I can't believe that the Soul Hunters wouldn't even bother to find out whether the race was really dying, or look into the possibility of evolution. I can see them slapping their ugly foreheads - "d'oh!".
Old 08-25-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bandonun?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.