Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Consoles have spoiled me :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Consoles have spoiled me :(

I can't seem to play FPSs on the computer anymore After seeing AvP this weekend I decided to breakout the old PC games to remind myself something good was actually created in that genre I'm on the training level and getting my butt kicked I'm sure it'll come back in time but the controls just feel all wrong now. Maybe it's time to invest in a joystick for the PC...

Has anyone else gone through this?
Old 08-16-04, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh no...

Actually it's the other way around for me. I'll never get the hang of playing a FPS with a controller. For me, mouse and keyboard is the only way to go when it comes to FPS, of course the legions of Halo players would probably disagree.
Old 08-16-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for sure keyboard mouse is better for fps, faster response time. You can't swing around fast enough with a joystick.
Old 08-17-04, 12:27 AM

For a FPS there is no substitute for keyboard/mouse.
Old 08-17-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
I agree, FPS is PC all the way. I'd only play a FPS on a console if it was exclusive (like Halo was at first) or if my PC couldn't handle it.
Old 08-17-04, 07:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While a lot of action games benefit from a well-made console controller, FPS games are not among them. Halo on Xbox got it right...the controls are very confortable and intuitive...but even then it doesn't hold a candle to mouse/keyboard for me.
Old 08-17-04, 08:08 AM

Guess it's just me then. Personally I'm finding the keyboard kind of clunky. Oh well, each to their own...
Old 08-17-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I could never get the hang of an FPS with a controller.I stick to the PC for the few FPS games i play.
Old 08-17-04, 08:33 AM

Controls aside, the thing about consoles that spoils me where a computer doesn't is the not having to actually install any games!

It's one of the big reasons I don't play many games on the PC anymore.
Disk space counts for a lot as I'm constantly loading and unloading video to/from my PC. Games take up space and use up resources.
On my consoles, there's nothing competing for disk space or resources.
Old 08-17-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sticking to console gaming simply because I don't have to worry about system requirements with them. For some reason, games on the computer have also started making me feel sick ... of course this might be improved with a better graphics card .
Old 08-17-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
a few reasons why consoles will always be better than PC games(IMO):

1. La-Z-Boy. Nothing like a good recliner.
2. When will you ever have a 57"+ size monitor?
3. Surround sound
4. No installing games
5. No needing to upgrade system to meet requirements to run it
6. Wavebird
7. Multiplayer - Nothing is quite like having 10 guys in the same room talking smack to each other while they are getting their ass handed to them in a sling.
Old 08-17-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I suppose if you've spent the last few years playing FPS games only on the console and none on a PC, using a mouse and keyboard would feel strange. But otherwise, like others said, nothing beats the mouse for precision. We need more FPS games that are spread across PC and console games online so us PC users can cream the poor console guys
Old 08-17-04, 11:01 AM

1. There are plenty of comfy computer chairs. You can even use a La-Z-Boy with ease.
2. The size of the monitor/tv doesn't matter if you're sitting close enough that it incorporates the same field of view.
3. ??? There is surround sound on PC
4. I'll give you this one.
5. Upgrading all part of the fun for PC gamers. Beats playing games on 5-year-old hardware.
6. There are wireless controllers/keyboards/mice for PC
7. I'll give you this one.
Old 08-17-04, 11:58 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could never get the hang of keyboard mouse controls. The mouse part was fine never could get efficeint with the keyboard part.

I've never been all that interested in PC gaming anyway as my favorite genres (platforms, japanese RPGS and Zelda type adventure games) are much more prevelant on the consoles.

Plus I just can't stand sitting at a computer in my free time given all the time I spend at a computer at work and doing grad school work. I don't even have home internet access (other than a 14.4 cellphone connection for e-mail) for this reason.
Old 08-17-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I'm sliding away from PC gaming. My last big hurrah was Battlefield: 1942.

My computer is slowly but surely sliding out of date. I don't want to invest hundreds of dollars into it to play games like Doom3 and Half-Life 2 that I really don't have a big desire to play.

I've got a 50-inch widescreen television, a modded Xbox and a PS2 and GC as well. With sales like the TRU clearance going on I have more games than I know what to do with. Every game I'm anticipating in the near future is on the console (Halo 2, Metroid 2, Fable, GTA: San Andreas.)

And I'm getting more and more comfortable with Macs through my work (video shooting/editing and DVD production,) so I may be getting a Powerbook for my home machine to replace my aging PC.

Long live the consoles!
Old 08-17-04, 12:17 PM
Banned

Yeah I tried PC gaming. I just could not get into it. I been console gaming far to long to get into PC gaming it would seem. When playing a game all you do is move the mouse and hit keys it's like using the Internet so I just had no fun with it. Also the games did not look as good as I was thinking they were going to look so that let me down.

Also it just cost to damn much to keep up with the top of the line games. I just enjoy sitting on my nice chair and playing with 5.1 sound and a nice big TV.

You also only have like 3 type of PC games too.
Old 08-17-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the 2 genres where i think PC really shines are FPS's and RTS's. having the mouse/keyboard really helps, imo.

i think that's why i never got into Halo on the xbox.

having said that, i haven't touched the pc since i finished Call of Duty... consoles only. for many of the reasons listed, i just find the tv setup to be more comfortable and easy.
Old 08-17-04, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Old 08-17-04, 12:37 PM

the 2 genres where i think PC really shines are FPS's and RTS's. having the mouse/keyboard really helps, imo.
I definately agree on the RTSs (although AvP for Xbox wasn't too bad it certainly would have been better on the PC). So far though I'm finding the console better for the FPSs, which it took me awhile to get to that point but since making the switch I haven't played any computer games so I guess I just lost my touch
Old 08-17-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Wow, that's like saying consoles only have 3d platformers, Japanese RPGs, and Sports games.
Old 08-17-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Wow, that's like saying consoles only have 3d platformers, Japanese RPGs, and Sports games.
They have more than that?
Old 08-17-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Ghym
They have more than that?
Touche
Old 08-17-04, 01:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the game breakdown is basically.

Consoles: Platformers, Japanese RPGs, Sports games, Zelda type adventure games, Fighting games

PCs: FPSs, RTS, Sim Games, American RPGS.

That's where the advantages of each lie. Other genre's like racing and what not are pretty much even across the two in terms of number of games and quality of games. So one's not really better than the other, it just depends one what types of games a person likes to play.
Old 08-17-04, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
a few reasons why consoles will always be better than PC games(IMO):

1. La-Z-Boy. Nothing like a good recliner.
2. When will you ever have a 57"+ size monitor?
3. Surround sound
4. No installing games
5. No needing to upgrade system to meet requirements to run it
6. Wavebird
7. Multiplayer - Nothing is quite like having 10 guys in the same room talking smack to each other while they are getting their ass handed to them in a sling.

1. I have an Aeron chair. Most comfortable piece of furniture I own except for my bed.
2. 1280 X 960
3.Surround sound
4.I buy, install and "crack" all my pc games. No need to look for the disc again.
5. Don't buy junk and you dont have to upgrade so soon. Games actually scale to your system. Doom 3 looks great now, will look even better on my new video card in 2 years.
6. Wavebird is a great controller on a dead system. I would have stopped gaming altogether if Nintendo was the only game in town.
7. PC still owns online multiplayer, except sports.
8. Mouse and keyboard.

Don't get me wrong I love my Xbox on the big screen but will not give up my PC gaming. It has its own dominant aspects.
Old 08-17-04, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I've found myself moving increasingly into console gaming. It just seems a chore to sit up in my computer room and play, when I can sit or lay on my living room couch and play on my big TV with better surround. I think online gameplay is why I used to play on the computer so much, but now that I've got XB Live, that's not a factor.
I still do prefer the mouse/keyboard interface though. Nothing beats that for precision.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.