Old 08-15-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Industry News: HD-DVD players will debut in early 2005

From Reuters:
High-Def DVD Players Headed for Stores
Sat Aug 14, 9:12 PM ET
By Jill Kipnis

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Toshiba/NEC plans to have its high-definition DVD hardware on retail shelves in early 2005.

The manufacturing partnership announced at a Tokyo showcase the last week of July that HD DVD players will be available next year in the United States and Japan. The Toshiba/NEC format is endorsed by the DVD Forum, an international association of 200 companies.

The rival Blu-ray HD format -- which is backed by 13 manufacturers, including Sony, Samsung, Philips, Dell and Hewlett-Packard -- is expected to introduce its players in the States by the end of 2005. Blu-ray hardware has already launched in Japan.

So far, the only home-video distributor to officially endorse one of the HD formats is Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, whose parent company, Sony, is a key proponent of Blu-ray.

Reuters/Billboard
The next chapter the HD saga unfolds. Looks like HD-DVD may be getting a jump start on Blu-ray after all. The question is, will there be any HD-DVDs available for purchase when the hardware debuts? Early 2005 for HD-DVD is a lot sooner than many people anticipated. Perhaps we'll start hearing announcements from the studios/distributors in the near future.

Other HD-DVD related threads:
Companies approve New High-Capacity Disc Format (Blu-ray)
Micosoft's Windows Media 9 Codec to be Mandatory for all HD-DVD Players
Michael Fiddler of Blu-Ray group speaks
Dell and HP side with Blu-Ray
DVD Forum chooses AOD (Toshiba/NEC) technology, passes on Blu-Ray
Rebuying our movies in HD?

Last edited by vivarey; 08-15-04 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-15-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, cant see there being a lot of software availble for this new format. Being first to market isnt always best.
Old 08-15-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to mention, the out-of-pocket cost of being an early adopter...

The buzz is that the first wave of HD-DVD players will retail for around $900 USD.
Old 08-15-04, 06:43 PM
Banned

Glad that I'm not yet interested in HD yet, otherwise I'd be sorely tempted.
Old 08-15-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its always about software. If there is a bunch of good HD-DVDs, and at least 4 or 5 films i want, I wouldn't think twice about spending the $900.
Old 08-15-04, 07:05 PM
Suspended

I don't want to end up with a Betamax.
Old 08-15-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let the bigwigs fight it out.... 1 format will have to be the standard.

Blu-ray is the way to go.
Old 08-15-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Personally I think Iwill wait until the dust settles before I switch to HD or Blu-Ray.
Old 08-15-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I can't play it on my PC (which drives my 1368x1024 projector) without a hassle, then I'm not interested. I'll just wait for the hi-def showings on satellite and record them as I do today.
Old 08-16-04, 01:32 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cruzness
Personally I think Iwill wait until the dust settles before I switch to HD or Blu-Ray.
Me too. By then prices should have gone down a lot for both the players and the media.
Old 08-16-04, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
If I can't play it on my PC (which drives my 1368x1024 projector) without a hassle, then I'm not interested. I'll just wait for the hi-def showings on satellite and record them as I do today.
Well, Microsoft has stated that future versions of Windows (Longhorn) will support the HD-DVD format:
A representative for Microsoft's Japanese operations today confirmed the next-generation Windows operating system code named "Longhorn" will support the upcoming High Definition DVD format offered by NEC and Toshiba. Microsoft still remains undecided concerning support for the competing Blu-ray standard developed by Sony, Philips, and other storage corporations." LINK TO ARTICLE
But, both Dell and HP have stated that they their machines will support the Blu-ray format:
"Dell and HP, the world's largest personal computer makers, said they would support the so-called Blu-ray DVD technology, which allows for recording of up to four hours of high-definition television on a single disc. HP believes Blu-ray Disc is the most consumer-friendly technology choice for the next generation of removable storage," John Romano, senior VP at HP, said in a statement." LINK TO ARTICLE
Old 08-16-04, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if the players do actually make it to market early next year and titles do start trickling out, i figure it will probably be mid 2007 before i pull the trigger and get one.

owning a pj, i would love to have some HD content as soon as possible, but i just don't see the value/quality of 1 st generation software and hardware/ and selection of software being such that it would make sense to be an early adopter.

but if this is accurate it will definitely factor into my budget for replacing my current player with in the next few months.
Old 08-16-04, 05:28 AM

This, only eight years after the debut of DVD? Way too soon for mass-adoption, I think.

I wonder if the media companies will try their "seven city rollout" again.
Old 08-16-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting till at least 2006 till I get a player.
Old 08-16-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm fine with the current state of DVDs and players. I will probably not updgrade for a while.
Old 08-16-04, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by jmaxlow
This, only eight years after the debut of DVD? Way too soon for mass-adoption, I think.
I hear you, especially regarding the purchase of the software. I have grown very accustomed to buying DVD's for $10 or less via the used route, killer online deals, loss leaders, or Wal-Mart $5.50 deals (just picked up Godzilla and Monkeybone for $5.50 apiece at Wal-Mart and picked up del Toro's Cronos for $6 yesterday at Wherehouse Music). I imagine HD-DVD's will go at a minimum at Criterion level prices (between $29.99 and $39.99 a pop) when they debut. Hopefully, the release of HD-DVD's will further deflate the MSRP of standard DVD's. I don't see myself jumping on the HD-DVD bandwagon for a long time (unless they are easily available from NetFlix).
Old 08-16-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I'm the only one perfectly happy with the current DVD format & my home theater. I will never upgrade unless DVDs stop being made.
Old 08-16-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No sense in wasting time and money with these. At the very very least not for the next 3-8 years. With all these format wars, prices, lack of software, compatibility, lack of burners, all the different types of anti piracy methods, etc etc, as they once put it in South Park: I think I'll sit this one out.
Old 08-16-04, 11:10 AM

Not to rain on everybody's parade, but it's mentality like this that restricts progress.

We all know that HD-DVD/Blue-Ray is by far superior than DVD. I, for one, would not be able to afford to shell out the cash for a new HD-DVD player, and I'm assuming most of you can't either, but if I had money to throw around, you can bet your ass I'd be the first in line, whether there was one title available or a hundred.

The fact of the matter is that our beloved DVD should and DOES need to die eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later...giving way to HD. Our proud collections of DVDs will be obsolete some day, just like our old VHS tapes.
Old 08-16-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Loc Nar
I imagine HD-DVD's will go at a minimum at Criterion level prices (between $29.99 and $39.99 a pop) when they debut. Hopefully, the release of HD-DVD's will further deflate the MSRP of standard DVD's.
If that is true, they will have an even harder time converting people over from red-laser discs. I don't think they would shoot themselves in the foot like that. Remember, they want people to buy into this quick - before Blu-ray has a chance to penetrate the market. Of course, the studios and distributors will have the final say regarding pricing. But remember too that they want to move to HD as well. I expect HD-DVD discs to be competitively priced to lure people over, even in the beginning. I expect no more than a $5 or less MSRP price difference. But, I could be completely wrong. It's all guessing at this point.

I thought some people would be excited over this news, but it seems like most people are upset?
Old 08-16-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you never know, maybe stores like reel.com and 800.com can get back into the business of selling with HD-DVDs with some more 3 for 1.00 or 25.00 off a 25.00 order coupons.

seriously though, if the prices aren't too extreme I'll buy into this. I just have this little voice in my head telling me I should wait until there is a universal player/recorder that will play/record with both formats.
Old 08-16-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Concorde
The fact of the matter is that our beloved DVD should and DOES need to die eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later...giving way to HD. Our proud collections of DVDs will be obsolete some day, just like our old VHS tapes.
I TOTALLY disagree. Unless one is an absolute technology whore or extremely rich (neither of which I am) & they just want the newest technology for the sake of showing off, & I do not understand how a person in their own home, needs even more improvement in their hometheater than the current formats. I have a 51 inch HD-TV, 6.1 surround sound with a massive sub-woofer, & I have no desire or need for any better home theater equipment than that. My picture quality is phenomenal, I don't need a bigger TV, & DVD quality w/ all the extras is all I would ever need. The picture quality from the current DVD format to whatever Blu-RAY or whatever will be IMO will not be drastic enough for me to upgrade unless DVD do go the way of 8-tracks & VHS.

I know I'm in the minority, especially in this forum, but DVDs IMO SHOULD stick around for a long time.
Old 08-16-04, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by vivarey
If that is true, they will have an even harder time converting people over from red-laser discs. I don't think they would shoot themselves in the foot like that. Remember, they want people to buy into this quick - before Blu-ray has a chance to penetrate the market. Of course, the studios and distributors will have the final say regarding pricing. But remember too that they want to move to HD as well. I expect HD-DVD discs to be competitively priced to lure people over, even in the beginning. I expect no more than a $5 or less MSRP price difference. But, I could be completely wrong. It's all guessing at this point.

I thought some people would be excited over this news, but it seems like most people are upset?
I hope you're right. My thinking is that Manufacturers will know that early adopters willing to pay a premium on hardware are also likely those who don't mind springing for $29.99-$39.99 MSRP Criterions and that, as a result, will be the starting point for their own MSRP's. Like you say though, it's all guessing at this point.

Also, though it's a different technology, of course, the pricing of d-vhs flicks are in this MSRP price point (and more in some cases).

Last edited by Loc Nar; 08-16-04 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-16-04, 01:17 PM

No point in buying the new stuff till the format wars are over (can you say betamax), besides my tv is too small to see the improvement.
Old 08-16-04, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Concorde
Yes, eventually. Not now. VHS lasted 25 years. Laserdiscs about 20. CD's are 15 years old and still going strong. And to have DVDs crap out at 5-6 years? Sorry, but that smells of Corperate Bull-shit quick money grab.

I might get a player when they get cheaper - but unless the new rig is a quantum leap in picture and sound quality like VHS-to-DVD was, the mainstream public aint gonna buy into it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.