Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Card Player- Anchor Bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-04, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Card Player- Anchor Bay

Anchor Bay's site indicates a release of this Dario Argento film at an undetermined date. Here is a quote:

...however you can bet on an Anamorphic Widescreen Special Edition to be the winning hand dealt to this release when the time comes
Has anyone seen this movie yet? I love most of his other films so it could be a blind buy for me.
Old 08-14-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
The word is that it's his worst film to date - here's some reviews:

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/...cardplayer.php

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/carddealer.htm
Old 08-14-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I hope a date is announced soon.

the czech version that xploited cinema has for sale I believe is anamorphic widescreen. but I have been putting off buying it because its a little steep price wise.

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=2876
Old 08-14-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally posted by asianxcore
I hope a date is announced soon.

the czech version that xploited cinema has for sale I believe is anamorphic widescreen. but I have been putting off buying it because its a little steep price wise.

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=2876
Yeah, that's a pretty steep price.

Funny, I was just about to give my two cents on the Stendhal Syndrome..........looks like I'll swing over to movie talk and do that now
Old 08-14-04, 03:05 PM
Banned

Hrmmm....after reading those reviews I may pass on it..unless it sells for 9.99 or something.
Old 08-15-04, 11:24 PM

This reviewer at DVD maniacs liked it:

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/card_player.html

I'm curious myself...I don't remember many people liking Sleepless either, but I quite liked it. So we'll see.
Old 08-15-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The word is that it's his worst film to date - here's some reviews:
BULLSHIT.

Those reviews are A LOT better than the reviews Phantom of the Opera got, which were all across the board terrible. There have been a few positive reviews for The Card Player, which is more than what Phantom got.

I love Argento, but his output in the past fifteen years has been on/off. The Stendhal Syndrome is a great little film and Sleepless was damn good as Argento was slowly getting back on track on what made him such a great director in the first place. His segment in Two Evil Eyes was okay, but Trauma and Phantom of the Opera are both pretty awful films.

If The Card Player is more like Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless, I'll enjoy it.
If The Card Player is more like Trauma and Phantom of the Opera, I'll probably hate it.
Old 08-16-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is impossible for it to be worse than PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.
Old 08-16-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is impossible for it to be worse than PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.
Exactly. The Card Player is already better than it for no Julian Sands.
Old 08-16-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
If The Card Player is more like Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless, I'll enjoy it.
If The Card Player is more like Trauma and Phantom of the Opera, I'll probably hate it.
Ditto.
Old 08-16-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had the Czech import for a few weeks.....just to tide me over until the domestic. aside from it being 100% predictable...great disc and decent film. I actually liked the first 15min of Sleepless(import) more than the entire Card Player. I love how this time however, the best of the violence was left off-screen. but...got my fill. I'm ready for more of a violent and "throat-slit" filled feature next time around. I've been an Argento fan for years....and we fans have always differed on the opinions of the films. regardless...we all love Dario with a hardcore passion.

may I also suggest the Dutch release of Shadows(Tenebre). awesome.
Old 08-16-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
may I also suggest the Dutch release of Shadows(Tenebre). awesome.
I read on Mobius that the Dutch Tenebre DVD had some weird colour issues (but then again, you know what a stickler Vincent is ). How do you think the disc looks, gut?
Old 08-16-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been an Argento fan for years....and we fans have always differed on the opinions of the films. regardless...we all love Dario with a hardcore passion.
We all love Dario, but his later input hasn't been up to par with his earlier effots. I would love for Dario to making something similar to Suspiria, Tenebre, or Phenomena (his most underrated film IMO). The Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless were a step foot in the right direction, but Trauma and Phantom of the Opera (which didn't even feel like an Argento film) were not.

Hopefully, AB's release of The Card Player comes out sooner rather than later. It's too bad they couldn't get the rights to Sleepless so R1 could see a widescreen release.
Old 08-16-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
I read on Mobius that the Dutch Tenebre DVD had some weird colour issues (but then again, you know what a stickler Vincent is ). How do you think the disc looks, gut?
it seems a little bright in spots and again...the color is not perfect. I still prefer this dvd because it's finally uncut. does the transfer ruin my enjoyment? nope. I'll still take this release over the others...at least from what I have seen. but the perfect Tenebre release is still MIA.

I would love for Dario to making something similar to Suspiria, Tenebre, or Phenomena
Matthew, I think we all would. Dario will be around for a while, and sooner or later.....another classic will be born. for now...I'm just getting ready to cue up Door Into Darkness again. would have been great to catch this on Italian TV back in '73...but now thanks to Dragon....this awesome pakage provides some material that nobody ever thought would make it to dvd. the interviews are a very nice added bonus.