Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION** Check your DTIVO/TIVO schedule for Monk...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monk does not show up in my SP for tonight even though it is a new ep. it does show up in the guide however. if you check your SP it lists as no upcoming eps. it also doesn't show up if you do a title search.

just a heads up.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 08-13-04 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-13-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I had the last two episodes on there as late as yesterday. It appears that DTV has changed the channel designation, not unlike they did with FX during The Shield's run. I had to manually enter the record time for tonight. Stupid DirecTv.
Old 08-13-04, 07:59 PM

don't forget about The Dead Zone too. it appears that if you try too do a title search for any show(atleast the new ones anyway) they do not show up. it is like they no longer exist that way.
Old 08-13-04, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was just me. Luckily they replay it two hours later. I was p!$$ed when I checked it twenty minutes in and it wasn't recording. Is there a way to fix this? I've never seen this happen before.
Old 08-13-04, 10:44 PM

I had to reboot and redo all my USA SPs after it all reloaded an hour or so later.
Old 08-13-04, 11:29 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Thanks I'll catch the 11am showing in the morning
Old 08-14-04, 12:16 AM

Man, I couldn't believe all the discrepancies and plot holes in that episode. Yeesh.

Spoiler:
1. Monk's father-in-law said it was a new show, but the host was already at the end of his contract and had to decide whether or not to renew it.

2. They said at various times that the evil contestant had won seven times *and* that he had been the champion for three weeks. Which was it?

3. How did Roddy's assistant know Roddy was cheating? It looked like he didn't start cheating until the evil contestant blackmailed him into doing so. The assistant died a month earlier so, if the evil contestant had been on for three weeks, had Roddy already been cheating previously? If so, with who and why?

4. In the flashback we see Monk with very bad OCD with Trudy. I thought the premise was that his OCD started after she was killed.

5. He goes into Trudy's room at the end which was "just the way she left it." Assume Trudy was about Monk's age. She had rock and roll posters on the wall, a diary from when she was about eight, ribbons on the lamp...and a computer? What? All this would lead me to believe Trudy was about 20 years younger than Monk.
Old 08-14-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rico Diablo
Spoiler:
3. How did Roddy's assistant know Roddy was cheating? It looked like he didn't start cheating until the evil contestant blackmailed him into doing so. The assistant died a month earlier so, if the evil contestant had been on for three weeks, had Roddy already been cheating previously? If so, with who and why?
Spoiler:
They mentioned he was deep in debt, and that he'd declared bankruptcy, etc., so I would assume he had approached previous contestants and worked out a deal where he helped them win, in exchange for splitting the jackpot. I didn't pay attention to the contestants in the brief clip at the very beginning of the episode, when the assistant figured out he was cheating, but I'm assuming Val wasn't one of them.

All in all, I enjoyed the episode. And next week's definitely looks interesting.

Rob
Old 08-14-04, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by RobCA
Spoiler:
They mentioned he was deep in debt, and that he'd declared bankruptcy, etc., so I would assume he had approached previous contestants and worked out a deal where he helped them win, in exchange for splitting the jackpot. I didn't pay attention to the contestants in the brief clip at the very beginning of the episode, when the assistant figured out he was cheating, but I'm assuming Val wasn't one of them.

Rob
That's right. Thanks for fixing that one.
Spoiler:
It's a good ironic twist that would've been cool to explore a bit or state more explicitly - that Roddy was cheating WITH contestants at first and then being blackmailed INTO cheating for no money by another one.
Old 08-14-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up on those inconsistencies as well. It was nice to get away from supporting cast, since lately they have all been turning into total nitwits, but bringing Kevin back was definitely not a step in the right direction. He is one of the most annoying character ever, without any redeeming qualities.

Next week is the season finale already? I avoided the preview but there was text saying it during the episode. Is this being split into two semi seasons again, with new episodes in the new year, as was done last year?

Edit: Just checked and here is the info from epguides.com

Although this episode is billed by USA as the season finale, it's really more of a semifinale. New third-season episodes will resume in fall, with seven more to come (sixteen in all) before the season really ends
Old 08-14-04, 10:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Regarding Monk's OCD and Trudy: Monk has always had it, but when she died it got much worse to the point where he couldn't really function any more.
Old 08-15-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The charm and humor of Monk came from his reactions to normal folk, and their reaction to him, NOT in his interaction with incredibly annoying characters even weirder than he is.

By the way, the game show host was the same guy that played Letterman in The Late Shift.
Old 08-15-04, 07:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
By the way, the game show host was the same guy that played Letterman in The Late Shift.
John Michael Higgins, who is also part of Christopher Guest's "stocK" company of actors. He also had a guest role on Arrested Development last season.
Old 08-16-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder whether Ken Jennings and Jeopardy had anything to do with the plot idea of this episode?
Old 08-17-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
I wonder whether Ken Jennings and Jeopardy had anything to do with the plot idea of this episode?
Same thing crossed my mind