Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Nancy Sinatra Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Nancy Sinatra Album

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 09:17 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Nancy Sinatra Album

Coming from Attack/Sanctuary Records on September 28, 2004... The brand-new self-titled album by NANCY SINATRA!!! This is Nancy's first album of all new music since 1995 and it looks to be a winner.

Artists involved in this album are:

Morrissey
Jarvis Cocker
Bono And The Edge (U2)
Calexico
Jon Spencer
The K.A.B.
Sonic Youth
Pete Yorn
Reno
Steven Van Zandt

The first single will be the Morrissey penned, "Let Me Kiss You." Wonderful, wonderful song. Other Songs include:

"Momma's Boy" - Sonic Youth
"Ain't No Easy Way" - John Spencer
"About A Fire" - The K.A.B.
"Bossman" - Reno
"Don't Mean Nothin'" Pete Yorn
"Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad" - Bono and The Edge
"Baby Please Don't Go" - Steven Van Zandt

Don't miss it!

Old 08-13-04, 09:19 AM
Cool New Member

Billboard Review of "Let Me Kiss You"

Since debuting on The Billboard Hot 100 in the mid-'60s, Nancy Sinatra has notched more than 20 entries, including two No. 1s ("These Boots Are Made for Walkin' " and "Somethin' Stupid," a duet with her father, Frank). After a too lengthy break from the chart, Sinatra may indeed return to it with the dreamy "Let Me Kiss You." Co-penned by Morrissey, who also provides backing vocals, the poignant "Kiss" is tailor-made for Sinatra. And with Morrissey's stamp, the song—which first appeared on his latest album, "You Are the Quarry"—also has its fair share of melancholia. Consider this chorus: "Close your eyes/And think of someone/You physically admire/And let me kiss you." Sinatra shines throughout. In fact, she one-ups Morrissey on his own song. Prepare yourself for her new album, due next month.—MP

Old 08-15-04, 05:30 PM
Cool New Member

Self-titled album due in September.

August 11, 2004 - Nancy Sinatra, best known to pop culture junkies not only as Frank's daughter, but also for her rousing hit "These Boots Were Made For Walking," is emerging from recording silence to unleash her new, self-titled album, Nancy Sinatra on September 14th, 2004. This is her first true, full album of material since 1969's Nancy.

The first single taken from the new album is entitled "Let Me Kiss You," which was penned by Morrissey. This marks the first joint effort for Nancy and Morrissey, who are friends and mutual fans of one another's work. According to Sinatra, "this song is singularly Morrissey, and I was more than excited to sing it with and for him."

The rest of the album features equally provacative guest appearances, including Pulp's Jarvis Cocker, who contributed two songs to the project and plays with a backing ensemble that includes former Smithereens Dennis Diken on drums, Sonic Youth's Jim O'Rourke on bass and Richard Hawley on guitar. "Both of Jarvis' songs are very Nancy," says Sinatra. "We just had a ball recording them with what was a great band! Richard, who traveled with Jarvis from the UK for the sessions, is an incredibly gifted guitarist."

Jon Spencer's howling vocals and blues guitar saturate "Ain't No Easy Way," a classic song culled from Nancy's extensive catalog of work. "I love performing with Jon. His energy is palpable on stage."

U2's Bono and The Edge provide "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad," which was originally written for Nancy's father Frank. "It's a little difficult emotionally because this is about Dad," remarks Sinatra, "But it's a bang-on description of him."

Sinatra also teams up with with singer/songwriter Pete Yorn for the cut "Don't Mean Nothing," which was also written by Yorn. Coincidentally, this recording pairs two New Jersey born artists. "Pete gave me three songs to pick from and that wasn't easy to do! All of them were funky and interesting musically. I think we chose the best one for the two of us to perform. Besides, the title is connected to my Vietnam Veterans who often say those very words."

And finally, Sinatra gets a little noize enhancement courtesy of Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore, who pops up on "Momma's Boy"; some rockin' grooves from Steve Van Zandt on "Baby Please Don't Go"; and indie faves Calexico serve up "Burnin' Down the Spark."

--IGN Music
Old 08-15-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
She has a new album with Lee Hazlewood and it came out in the last few months in Australia.

Have you heard that?

In the mid 1960s Nancy took the image of a girl crying over her diary for a boy who wouldn't behave, and changed it to a woman who let her men know in no uncertain terms just how things were going to be. Songs like "So Long Babe" and '"How Does that Grab You, Darlin'?" helped her do it. "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" kicked open the doors for a whole new category of women in rock. Nancy's tough girl attitude preceded women's liberation and created the first rebel chick singer. A female revolution was born.
In 2004, Warner Music is proud to release the brilliant 'Nancy & Lee 3', a wonderful album that Nancy has done with long-time friend and fellow songwriter Lee Hazlewood.

Includes a version of KASEY CHAMBERS' 'Barricades & Brickwalls'.

Old 08-15-04, 10:46 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
She has a new album with Lee Hazlewood and it came out in the last few months in Australia.

Have you heard that?
I have it. Terrific album. Some of my favorites on it are:

Going Down Rockin'
Barricades And Brick Walls
Texas Blue Moon
Is Making A Little Love Out Of The Question?
She Won't
The Hungry Years (Nancy Solo Mix)

Oh, Hell. The entire thing!

Old 08-16-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

Have you heard that?
Thanks for the tip. Hadn't heard about that. I love the Hazlewood/Sinatra collaborations. Very odd coolness about them.
Old 08-17-04, 10:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Numanoid
Thanks for the tip. Hadn't heard about that. I love the Hazlewood/Sinatra collaborations. Very odd coolness about them.
You'll love this one then. The magic is still there.
Old 08-20-04, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Morrissey song is a cover, and I saw her live the other day at the Little Steven Garage fest, and her voice has really suffered with age, as the Morrisey version is soooooooooo much better.
Old 09-17-04, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

Purchase Nancy Sinatra's latest cd, "Nancy Sinatra" at Amazon.
Old 09-25-04, 12:43 PM
Cool New Member

Rolling Stone gave Nancy Sinatra 3 1/2 stars

Toronto Eye Weekly gave it 4 stars.

Here is their review:

Nancy Sinatra thrives on outside musical forces. Jon Spencer is part of a coterie of ultra-hip artists -- which also includes Morrissey, Pete Yorn and Sonic Youth -- contributing to Sinatra's new self-titled album, and the results are shockingly effective. Sinatra's voice is incredibly emotive without resorting to dramatic key changes or octave shifts. Perfectly intimidating on Calexico's "Burnin' Down The Spark," doting but aloof on "Don't Let Him Waste Your Time" and terrifyingly dark with Morrissey's "Let Me Kiss You," Sinatra's performance has the timeless intelligence and charm of her late great father, who she pays tribute to with a cover of U2's "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad," a bittersweet ode pulled off without a hint of pretense or self-aggrandizement. For all those who know her for that song about boots, it's time to rediscover a great talent. ASH KEENAN
Old 09-26-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This week's Entertainment Weekly gave the new cd a B IIRC.

Hopefully it will be in the store Tuesday so I can grab it while I'm picking up Brian Wilson's "Smile".
Old 09-27-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like it's $13.99 at Circuit City and $12.99 at Best Buy. Too bad it's not in the sale ad for a price match.
Old 08-06-05, 11:57 PM
Cool New Member

CBS Sunday Morning will be re-airing their interview with Nancy tomorrow morning. It's a great piece. Check it out!
Old 08-07-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the heads up!