Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mystery Train and other Jarmusch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 11:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Train and other Jarmusch?

Really getting into the films of Jim Jarmusch lately. I picked up "Down By Law" a few weeks ago and loved it. Last night my wife and I watched "Mystery Train" and loved it even more. I could have sworn I read something about Criterion working on an upcoming release of "Mystery Train" and "Stranger Than Paradise" (which seems unlikely, as it's currently in print from MGM). Did I imagine it?

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 08-12-04 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my favorites from him is Dead Man. Very cool atmospheric movie. You can also pick up Ghost Dog for something like $6 on DDD, which is well worth the investment. I'm personally waiting for the release of Night on Earth.

I haven't heard any rumors of of Criterion releasing the movies you mention.
Old 08-12-04, 12:54 PM

I've seen "Ghost Dog" and saw "Dead Man" back in college when it first came out. Enjoyed both, but not as much as I enjoyed DBL and MT.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of "Fishing With John," but that's not exactly the same thing.
Old 08-12-04, 12:59 PM

Good to see another Jim Jarmusch fan. He is one of my favorites. I have been slowly picking up all of his DVD's. I believe you are mistaken on the Criterion versions happening on those films.

My personal favorite Jarmusch is Down by Law because of Waits being in it, but Dead Man and Stranger Than Paradise are his masterpieces. Ghost Dog is definately recommended, very cheap price and well worth it. Can't lose with anything Jarmusch if you have been a fan of those two films.
Old 08-12-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where the hell is "Night on Earth"????
Old 08-12-04, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by cfloyd3
My personal favorite Jarmusch is Down by Law because of Waits being in it, but Dead Man and Stranger Than Paradise are his masterpieces. Ghost Dog is definately recommended, very cheap price and well worth it. Can't lose with anything Jarmusch if you have been a fan of those two films.
Well, Waits is in "Mystery Train"...or his voice is, anyway. Maybe Memphis is where Zack wound up.

I've always felt this weird need to see Ron Perlman and Tom Waits in a film together...preferably playing brothers. Don't ask me why.

In searching Waits' bio on IMDB, I discovered he's to star in a movie directed by Robert Altman and somehow adapted from "A Prairie Home Companion." He'll be playing opposite Lyle Lovett as the two cowboys from the "Lives of the Cowboys" bit that Garrison Keillor does on the show. I'm a huge fan of Keillor's, but this sounds VERY weird. Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin are apparently on board too.

See here.
Old 08-12-04, 04:18 PM

Yeah I know I have seen Mystery Train but Down by Law you actually get him in a major role. That may be where Zack ends up though atleast it seems to be a hint since its a DJ and all.

I get bothered when people say he looks like Ron Pearlman. Waits looks nothing like that obscenely large faced freak to me atleast.
Old 08-12-04, 04:40 PM

Actually, I don't think he looks like him, so much as when I think of one, I think of the other. There are other actors like that, that are for some reason related in my head, though I'm not sure why. They both have cool, gravelly voices, though Waits puts his to much better use.
Old 08-12-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BeckysBoy
I've always felt this weird need to see Ron Perlman and Tom Waits in a film together...preferably playing brothers. Don't ask me why.
Well, in Hellboy a Tom Waits song is playing when Perlman is on screen.

Is that close enough for now?
Old 08-12-04, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by jmj713
In Region 2
Old 08-13-04, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by sundog

That'll have to do.
Old 08-13-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Word!
Old 08-14-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On IFC or Starz every couple of months.
Old 01-26-05, 08:10 PM

I guess I'll just add to this thread rather than create a new one, but does anyone know about Jarmusch's relationship w/Criterion? I've been meaning to pick up Down By Law for a whlie now, it's one of my favorites. In fact I don't think there's anything from Jarmusch I don't love. Most of his films would seemingly fit perfectly into Criterion
Old 01-26-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fliggil
I guess I'll just add to this thread rather than create a new one, but does anyone know about Jarmusch's relationship w/Criterion? I've been meaning to pick up Down By Law for a whlie now, it's one of my favorites. In fact I don't think there's anything from Jarmusch I don't love. Most of his films would seemingly fit perfectly into Criterion
I don't know about his relationship with Criterion, but you may want to check out their release of "Fishing With John", if you haven't already done so. It's definitely not for everyone, so you may want to rent it first. (I think it's hysterical, but a know some people who absolutely hate it.) Jarmusch is in one of the segments.
Old 01-26-05, 10:25 PM

Down by Law is my Favorite too.
Did you watch the extras? There's a really funny interview with John Lurie that was filmed around the time of the original movie. Then it's got Lurie on a commentary track observing the interview and expressing embarrassment over his shallowness. Then at the end of the commentary he says he wants to be invited back in another 10 years to do a commentary on the commentary because he'll probably feel just as embarassed about the one he just did.
You should check out Coffee and Cigarettes too. It's a bunch of Black and white vignettes of people talking over Coffee and..., but it's got the classic Jarmusch touch. I think of it as sort of an addendum to Down by Law since Roberto Benigni, Steven Wright, and Tom Waits appear in it.
Old 01-27-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sundog

Old 01-27-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to get my hands on an R1 Night On Earth. Not a big fan of PAL speedup.