Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

WB: Sorry about that whole canceling 'Angel' thing. Our bad.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-12-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old news, but I didn't see it posted anywhere:

http://saveangel.org/news.php?action...mments=1&id=40

In a surprising turn, newly ensconced WB head Garth Ancier admitted that cancelling ANGEL may have been a mistake.

During the TV Critics Press Tour yesterday, Ancier claimed that had the network and producers Twentieth Century Fox held off the February decision, ANGEL might have been renewed: "The mistake that was made between us and Twentieth was that we didn't wait until May, we just made the decision early based upon their request."

Last year, ANGEL was "on the bubble" and renewed at the last moment. Typically, series' fates are decided by programmers once all new show pilots are previewed.

This time around, the producers and ANGEL creator Joss Whedon requested that the network make an early February call for renewal. Then-CEO Jordan Levin informed Whedon over dinner that ANGEL would be axed.

The WB had two highly anticipated potential genre series, Lost in Space and Dark Shadows, neither of which panned out, leaving a hole in the program schedule. Dark Shadows, in particular, was expected to be a drop-in replacement for ANGEL, but says Ancier, the production did not "gel."

Series "on the bubble" could go either way. This past season, two such genre shows, UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise and FOX's Tru Calling, were renewed just prior to the "Up Fronts" -- when networks showcase their Fall line-up for potential advertisers.

According to Ancier, there's still interest in doing special ANGEL TV movies, but that David Boreanaz would need some "coaxing" to return to the role.

Ancier's statements may be viewed as a way to distance his new WB administration from that of former CEO and chief programmer Jordan Levin, who resigned last month and was seen as responsible for the end of ANGEL.
Old 08-12-04, 11:19 AM
Zee

Bastards.
Old 08-12-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, this pissed me off.
Old 08-12-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
start a petition to bring it back to the WB
Old 08-12-04, 01:06 PM

I hope the WB chokes and dies. Serves them right that the shows they planned on using to replace Angel didn't pan out. Shitheads.
Old 08-12-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading this. I dont think ever actually said sorry but I think they may be regretting what they did.
Now they may have a hard time getting David back.

Good goin' WB!!!

Last edited by riley_dude; 08-12-04 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Yeah, neither David B. nor Sarah Michelle Gellar want anything to do with Angel/Buffy any more. But I hear Joss may bring back some of the other characters in a series of WB movies. Most likely Spike, Willow, Giles and some others...
Old 08-12-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great thread title!
Old 08-12-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
I'm not blaming M.E. - but if they hadn't asked to be notified about continuing earlier than normal - they very well could have gotten a 6th season?
Old 08-12-04, 05:06 PM

In ME's defense, they may have had to know the decision early to decide how to finish the season properly.
Old 08-12-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But I hear Joss may bring back some of the other characters in a series of WB movies. Most likely Spike, Willow, Giles and some others.
Show's without the anchor star? Isn't that like having Laverne and Shirley without Laverne and Shirley? The Ripper is one thing but most of the good characters are dead and I dont want to see the Spike Action hour.

- but if they hadn't asked to be notified about continuing earlier than normal - they very well could have gotten a 6th season?
What would they have done different? Look at the way they left it? From what I have read, it was set to end the same way and pick up where it left off for season 6.
Old 08-12-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, I'm pissed all over again. Damn corporate bastards.
Old 08-12-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not blaming M.E.
In ME's defense
Pardon my ignorance, but who is M.E.?
Old 08-12-04, 08:50 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by RobCA
Pardon my ignorance, but who is M.E.?
Mutant Enemy, Joss Whedon's production company.
Old 08-12-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

D'oh! Thanks.

Rob
Old 08-12-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One word for WB-Duh!

We'll see something from the Buffy/Angelverse in the near future.
Old 08-12-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, neither David B. nor Sarah Michelle Gellar want anything to do with Angel/Buffy any more.
Like David B has any luck with roles besides Angel. Might as well stick with what brings in the dough. SMG did had success outside of Buffy.
Old 08-12-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Maybe a couple months on the convention circuit with Hugh-the-Borg might change David Boreanaz's mind.

The WB was planning on screwing over Angel all along, despite what they say. They had been renewing a lot of their shows BEFORE Joss/ME/Fox asked them if they were going to renew Angel. I would guess that the "Angel" people wanted to know what the hell was going on. Combine this with the knowledge that The WB was planning on putting a new "Dark Shadows" series in their fall line-up, and it sounds like they wanted to quietly cancel "Angel" and replace it with a new vampire show that they had a bigger stake in.
Old 08-12-04, 11:34 PM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
and replace it with a new vampire show that they had a bigger stake in.
good one
Old 08-12-04, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by resinrats
Like David B has any luck with roles besides Angel. Might as well stick with what brings in the dough. SMG did had success outside of Buffy.
Boreanaz was the bomb in that Dido video.
Old 08-13-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thats what I was really afraid of with the whole TV Movie idea. I was a casual fan of Buffy and a big time fan of Angel. Angel has always been the better show since season 2. Better writers, better stories, and better characters. I want TV movies that continue the Angel series. I know the Buffy characters are in the same universe, but if I didnt want them in the series... why the hell would I want to see them in the tv movies?
Old 08-13-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats
Have either of them? Gellar has been kicking ass and taking names with such blockbuster films as the Scooby-Doo movies. PLEASE!

Personally I'm glad Buffy retired when it did, but Angel deserved a full-fledged ending! I mean first WB tells M.E. to avoid season wide story arcs which they pretty much do (totally unnatural for a Whedon show) and then cancel it anyway. It should have been allowed a whole season with a grand story arc, a real powerful "big bad" and a series resolution. What we got was fine, but it only helped to highlight what the show COULD have been all season had it not been creatively stiffled by the WB suits.

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-13-04 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Have either of them? Gellar has been kicking ass and taking names with such blockbuster films as the Scooby-Doo movies. PLEASE!
well smg did appear in that STP video with the Tellitubies.
Old 08-13-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Originally posted by riley_dude
Show's without the anchor star? Isn't that like having Laverne and Shirley without Laverne and Shirley? The Ripper is one thing but most of the good characters are dead and I dont want to see the Spike Action hour.
I've wanted a "Buffy" show without Buffy for a LONG time. She's my least favorite character by FAR.

"Angel" was fitting the bill quite nicely. And then the WB cancelled it. If they didn't show "Smallville" and "Gilmore Girls" I'd stop watching it altogether.
Old 08-13-04, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Not disagreeing with you but didn't weren't the Scooby-Doo movies considered a success? I think the first one made over $150mil.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.