TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Penn & Teller Bull****: Profanity, 8/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Penn & Teller Bull****: Profanity, 8/12

Tonight at 10 pm on Showtime.

There's a culture war erupting in America, and "Bullshit" is in the middle of it. Some groups are trying to stop the use of profanity. They claim they only want to "clean up" the airwaves. But this new censorship is creeping into all aspects of society. A whole show on words and the power we give them, focusing on the latest actions of the FCC and other anti-profanity groups. The First Amendment is under attack. Hey, what country do we live in?

Except for the Bible episode, it is my most eagerly awaited episode.
Old 08-12-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Found this poll today in the Wash Post....

Q I am going to read a list of things that some people consider to be morally wrong. For each item, please select the number that best indicates how wrong you, personally, think it is when people engage in that behavior: Swearing or using offensive language

22% Wrong for all and should not be legally tolerated

33 Wrong for all but should be tolerated

22 Right for some, but not for me personally

6 Right for me, but not necessarily for others

4 Right for all

14 Not a moral issue

Source: Survey by the University of Virginia's Post-Modernity Project conducted Jan. 27-April 14, 1996 and based on personal interviews with a national adult sample of 2,047. Data provided by The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, University of Connecticut.

In the wholesome early 1950s, Gallup asked married respondents:

Do you object to your husband or wife saying "damn" or "hell" when among a group of adults?

44% Yes

50 No

7 Qualified answer/No opinion

Source: Conducted by the Gallup Organization, Nov. 11-16, 1951, and based on personal interviews with a national adult sample of 2,019. Data provided by The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, University of Connecticut.
Old 08-12-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Un****ingbelievable. I'm pretty accepting of most anyone's belief system, but the hypocrisy that says "profanity is wrong for all and should not be legally tolerated" is about as ****ed up as it gets. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how full of shit that is.

I'd love to cross reference those clowns of the ass variety to see how many consider things that truly harm people more tolerable than a person saying "shit" instead of "crap."

das
Old 08-12-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't see this show (I don't have pay cable, I am cheap) but I wholeheartedly agree that we should be allowed to swear. Who gives a ****, eh?

What upsets me the most is the way that people are continously white-washing, "bad words." Used to be, you couldn't say damn, then it was dang, maybe darn will go someday soon .

BTW, it's not really profanity unless the word is offending god (damn, hell, etc.). Otherwise, it's obscenity (shit, piss, ****, etc.).
Old 08-12-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking forward to this one. Probably not quite as much as Red Dog though because the Environmental Hysteria, Recycling and War on Drugs episodes were bigger for me. Environmentalism and the drug war are probably my two biggest personal obsessions.
Old 08-12-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Man, I wish that I had Showtime. I just bought season 1 the other day and am about 8 episodes in - this show's great. Guess that I'll have to wait until they release season 2 to see this one.

BTW, anyone know how they get their targets to appear on the show? I'm assuming that they don't have releases saying "you'll be appearing on 'Bullshit'" (as kooky as they are, most may be able to infer something negative from the title of the show), but rather a "Showtime documentary" or something. Or maybe not.
Old 08-12-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by movielib
I'm looking forward to this one. Probably not quite as much as Red Dog though because the Environmental Hysteria, Recycling and War on Drugs episodes were bigger for me. Environmentalism and the drug war are probably my two biggest personal obsessions.

Oh yeah - I forgot about the War on Drugs one. However, this topic seems even more shit-ladened than that one.
Old 08-12-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
Environmentalism and the drug war are probably my two biggest personal obsessions.

And here mine are sex and sports. Guess things change with age.
Old 08-12-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El Scorcho
And here mine are sex and sports. Guess things change with age.
Yeah, that's the long tall and short of it.
Old 08-13-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I LOVE YOU DOG!
The topic should be changed to Humbug. That was a pretty entertaining episode. Not all that informative, but it was funny to see that woman on her pointless crusade.
Old 08-13-04, 07:05 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Vaca!
Old 08-13-04, 07:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Another great episode of "Bullshit"! I find it absurd that we as **** sapiens have to ***** foot around each other just to express ourselves! Let's hope the FCC doesn't start regulating the internet, or who knows what innocous phrasing will be censored.
Old 08-13-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by greydt
Santa Vaca!

I almost threw my ****ing beer at the goddamn television when that **** said that swearing against Buddha is fine. What a hypocritical shitbrain! Bah Humbug.

Great episode. The whole deal from which words are bad and what is regulated is so arbitrary.
Old 08-13-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
I almost threw my ****ing beer at the goddamn television when that **** said that swearing against Buddha is fine. What a hypocritical shitbrain! Bah Humbug.
That was the most outrageous moment in the show. I can understand how she wouldn't know the Hindu origins of her "Santa Vaca" curse but there is no such excuse for "I swear to Buddha." The Merriam-Webster guy should put her picture next to "hypocrite" in the next edition of his Collegiate Dictionary.
Great episode. The whole deal from which words are bad and what is regulated is so arbitrary.
I agree. It was a very thorough and well-rounded episode, approaching the subject from many angles.
Old 08-14-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This episode (more specifically, the ASSCLOWN lady on her personal crusade) makes me smile and laff even more at the opening scene of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back when baby Jay says "f**k" and goes through to the swear song. Classic.

I can't understand why people are so hung up on words in this manner. It reminds me why I enjoy wearing shirts and whatnot that I know are going to make people a bit uncomfortable...like images of Charles Manson. People what the world to be all rosy (rosey?) and want to shut out the bad.

The folks like that moron lady who wish to avoid "bad" words need to move to their own little island. I'm sure that at some point no matter how hard they try, they will continue to pick out certain words/phrases that are just too offensive. Hell, I wish she'd just move to an island so I don't have to ever hear the "santa whatever" phrase. coo-coo-coo-coo-coo-coo

I was offended by the fact that she has no problem using other folks "gods" (Buddha's not a god, but you know what I mean) in vain because SHE doesn't believe in them. Now, if she didn't have a problem yelling "Jesus Christ" and "god damn" and everything else, then I've got no problem with "buddha damn". Don't nit pick which can and can't be said. It's all or nothing baby.

I just want to yell at the lady "Shut the f*** up you c***." Just to let her know....they're just words, its how you react to it.

Grrrrrrrr
Old 08-15-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to order or rent this season when it comes out. I really wanted to see this episode. I'm one of those people that thinks the idea that "cursing is evil" is silly. While I believe that people can be profane and there are certain words that make me uncomforable, I have no stong opinion on their use. I think if someone swore a lot around me it would annoy me (though no offend me).

However, at the same time, I don't swear in public, because I know (many) other people find it offensive and I'd prefer not to offend others.
Old 08-15-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Oh man, BULLSHIT has been one of those shows that I can't wait for the new episode. I enjoy storing them on my pc and enjoying them again and again. This episode was great. right up their with the war on drugs and the one about religion.

They share just about every view with these two and just love seeing it on screen. Great ****'n episode.
Old 08-16-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Good episode. Yeah, that hypocrite "Santa Vaca" lady was unbelieveable. I thought it was hilarious when the cameraman (or whomever) asked her if she knew about the 7 words you can't say on television, then said them to her.

X
Old 08-17-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 08-20-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Xander
Good episode. Yeah, that hypocrite "Santa Vaca" lady was unbelieveable. I thought it was hilarious when the cameraman (or whomever) asked her if she knew about the 7 words you can't say on television, then said them to her.

X
that part was great, esspecially after she said something like "no no, you can't say those in my house" then Penn came back with the brilliant "well, we just did"
man what a fuckin bitch
Old 08-20-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
...and suddenly, we can say fuck in our posts.

Coincidence????
Old 08-20-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Really? The word fuck has been taken off of the filters?
Old 08-20-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
GLORY BE!
Old 08-21-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
so is this episode responsible for our newfound fuck freedom?!??!?! Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Fuck the FCC!!

And fuck Penn & Teller when they do shows(not this one) where I don't agree with them. At least I'm honest.

Otherwise I love them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.