Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas slams colorized "Stooges"...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this from IMDB:

George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply criticized Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release two Three Stooges DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to watch them in either their original black-and-white or digitally colored versions. In an interview with the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy belongs in a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not fair to the artist."

Not to bash because I will be a SW buyer regardless, but does anyone else see the hypocricy in this statement?

Last edited by kurupt; 08-10-04 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-10-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YAYYYYYY!!!

THE WEEKLY LUCAS BASHING THREAD!!!!!
Old 08-10-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Maybe he's just pissed off that they're offering the viewer a choice of which version they want to watch. The original version, or the bastardized version.
Old 08-10-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
these lucas thread are beyond stale. I support lucas, but yes, assuming imdb is a worthy source of this quote, then yes it appears he is quite the hippocrite. Regardless, he makes a good point.
Old 08-10-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Until Lucas stops changing his work, he has no reason to talk.
Old 08-10-04, 05:18 PM
Banned

Re: Lucas slams colorized "Stooges"...

NEWSFLASH!!!:

George Lucas has just realized the error of his ways and understood the hypocricy of his own words just moments after Mr. Revisionism himself criticized Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment for releasing The Three Stooges to DVD with a digitally colorized option. He has retracted his statement, realizing that his words pertain to his very own Star Wars films as well and has re-released a NEW updated statement that should please some hard-core fans!: Again to the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the original three Star Wars movies belong in a pre-CGI universe, so he is going back and reversing every one of the changes he brought on with his infamous Special Editions in 1997. "Would updated CGI distract from their respective action scenes and make them not as exciting anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're NOT CGI'ed makes them exciting, because their effects are a bit dated. But by putting it BACK to the original effects they had upon their releases, which I will do for the Uber-Deluxe set for the 30th Anniversary in 2007, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was. But you try to update them with full CGI and try to compare it to a Vin Diesel movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not fair to the artist. I finally know what it is my fans have been trying to tell me all along. Thank you. Thank you, all."

He went on to say that the forthcoming set will retail for $69.99.
Old 08-10-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're joking right rivero?
Old 08-10-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a hypocrite.
Old 08-10-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
In a statement regarding the marketing of dvds, Lucas said, "don't they know how to milk a franchise? Columbia Tristar Home Video does it with their special edition releases and super bit titles. Why give the customer a choice now? I mean look at me! I'll keep cranking out update after update of my films and the masses of Star Wars faithful will still shell out cash for my product. I'm one lucky, multi-billionaire sonuvabitch. And no one's going to stop me."
Old 08-10-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I got this from IMDB:
there's the first problem with this thread.
Old 08-10-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to bash because I will be a SW buyer regardless, but does anyone else see the hypocricy in this statement?
Nope! What you have is a studio changing a work that they didn't create. However, Lucas is the creator of Star Wars. It's his baby and his vision. So I see nothing wrong with him changing his own work. But a studio changing a film they did not create nor is not their vision, is entirely different.

Again, Star Wars is Lucas' baby. It's his vision and his creation. He can change it. But Columbia Tri-Star did not create or direct the Three Stooges.

Until Lucas stops changing his work, he has no reason to talk.
Again, the key word in that sentence is HIS! It's his work. The Three Stooges is not Sony's work.
Old 08-10-04, 08:12 PM

"It's his work."

Even ESB and ROTJ?
Old 08-10-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe he's just pissed off that they're offering the viewer a choice of which version they want to watch.
I was going to post the same thing.
Old 08-10-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by KTIK
"It's his work."

Even ESB and ROTJ?
Yes. They are his babies regardless if he let puppets direct two of them so that he could focus on other aspects of the production.
Old 08-10-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yes. They are his babies regardless if he let puppets direct two of them so that he could focus on other aspects of the production.
Well with that same logic, then Columbia owns the Three Stooges. They can do what ever they want with them. Lucas owns Star Wars and the studio owns Three Stooges. Its the same.
Old 08-11-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even ESB and ROTJ?
Yes, both of those films are his vision. He created the stories. He created the characters and worlds, as well as the look of the films. It's still his vision.

Just to get the facts straight, here we go.

Lucas asked Kershner's permission before making any changes to ESB, even though he didn't have to. Kershner gave Lucas his blessing, and even stated he liked the changes. It was an in an interview with Salon magazine. You can find the interview if a simple google search.

As for ROTJ, according to Kershner from Shock Cinema, Lucas did direct most of it. He states that Marquand and Lucas ended up not getting along, and the cast didn't respond well to Marquand. So Lucas directed most of the film and it was kept very hush-hush.

So yes, all 3 Star Wars films are Lucas' work. They are his creations and his vision, regardless of whether Kershner directed ESB or not. It certainly wasn't Kershner's vision.

Well with that same logic, then Columbia owns the Three Stooges. They can do what ever they want with them. Lucas owns Star Wars and the studio owns Three Stooges. Its the same.
You're forgetting one simple thing. Sony didn't create the Three Stooges. It's not their vision or their work. It's the work of the filmmakers who made them. Owning is not enough. All that means is they put up the money or bought the rights to the characters.
Old 08-11-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's ironic, if true.

I'm a big Lucas supporter/fan, but if he wants to make so many changes to make the OT more "modern" and flow better with Eps I-III, why doesn't he just re-film the whole movies?

There's always remakes being made in Hollywood (Manchurian Candidate, Dawn Of The Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc...)
Old 08-11-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Lucas slams colorized "Stooges"...

Originally posted by Rivero
NEWSFLASH!!!:

George Lucas has just realized the error of his ways and understood the hypocricy of his own words just moments after Mr. Revisionism himself criticized Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment for releasing The Three Stooges to DVD with a digitally colorized option. He has retracted his statement, realizing that his words pertain to his very own Star Wars films as well and has re-released a NEW updated statement that should please some hard-core fans!: Again to the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the original three Star Wars movies belong in a pre-CGI universe, so he is going back and reversing every one of the changes he brought on with his infamous Special Editions in 1997. "Would updated CGI distract from their respective action scenes and make them not as exciting anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're NOT CGI'ed makes them exciting, because their effects are a bit dated. But by putting it BACK to the original effects they had upon their releases, which I will do for the Uber-Deluxe set for the 30th Anniversary in 2007, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was. But you try to update them with full CGI and try to compare it to a Vin Diesel movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not fair to the artist. I finally know what it is my fans have been trying to tell me all along. Thank you. Thank you, all."

He went on to say that the forthcoming set will retail for $69.99.
Old 08-11-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lets get the facts straight - Lucas is not the director of Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. Thats a fact. The rest of your explanation is just speculation and Lucas-cult ramblings.
Old 08-11-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this thread coming a few days ago, there is an article about it on MSNBC here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5651949/

From George Lucas via that Article:

“Star Wars” creator George Lucas, who testified with Steven Spielberg before Congress in the 1980s against colorization and other forms of alteration, said the process yanks such slapstick performers as the Stooges out of the black-and-white universe they belong in.

“Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as funny anymore?” Lucas said. “Maybe just the fact that they’re in black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was.

“But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it’s hard for young people to understand. Because you’re then thinking you’re comparing apples to apples, when you’re not. You’re comparing apples to oranges. I’m saying it’s not fair to the artist.”
If you can't sniff the hypocrisy in these arguments, you have drinken the Lucas Kool Aid.

Its funny the guy talks about context, but refused to give an original print to a film festival celebrating 1970s filmmaking. Its also great that people won't be able to see a revolutionary film for SFX so they can appreciate what Star Wars did for the movies. Now the CGI gets in the way.

Last edited by chanster; 08-11-04 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You people bitch a lot.
Old 08-11-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That sure adds a lot to the conversation.
Old 08-11-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just an observation i thought i'd share with y'all.

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 08-11-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yes. They are his babies
Guess we can add "child molester" to his list of attributes.
Old 08-11-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Guess we can add "child molester" to his list of attributes.
While I don't think I put it quite that way . . . You stole that from me!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.