Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to collect TV Shows when you have a huge list?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Best Way To Collect Alot of TV Shows at once?
Season by Season
55.81%
Show by Show
9.30%
Release Date
16.28%
Other Method
18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-04, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a thread to this a long time ago except it wasn't a poll so I thought it would be great to see which method you choose to collect TV Shows when you have a long list to go

Season by Season - You gather all the ones you want by creating a list at one of those DVD Organizer sites and you make a list of all the "Season 1's" of the shows you want and collect season by season of each show in your list till you make it to the final season.

Show by Show - You gather all the ones you want to buy by creating a list at one on those DVD Organizer sites and you collect a show that you want from your list and collect nothing but that show until you have reached the end of the series or the end of sets that are in stock.

Release Date - You collect the shows eithier by the oldest or newest release date

Other Method - Other Method you have tried that I have not mentioned?

Discuss your methods. To me I have tried season by season the most but some times when I am so far behind and there is a show that just came out that I have to get. I'll get it on the release date.
Old 08-07-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Other: I often buy based on discount off MSRP. As an anime fan I'm used to buying shows based on discount, even out of order, and just hanging onto them until I fill in all the gaps. Luckily, I have enough of a viewing backlog that I never feel put out waiting for a good price on the missing volumes.
Old 08-07-04, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other.

Seasons that come out later in the year (Aug-Dec) I put on my BDay (Oct) and XMas lists for family. I usually get a few sets a year as gifts.

If I've caught up on viewing all my DVDs I'll buy already released dvd sets.

So for BDay/Xmas I'm asking for Batman Animated 1, Futurama 4, Threes Company 3.

The next DVD I'll buy will be Threes Company 2. Which I'll buy in the next week or so. By the time I'm done watching that it'll be around my BDay and I should have a new set by then to watch until XMas time.
Old 08-07-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Other method: Oldest show not in syndication first.

For example, if you are deciding between "Peter Gunn" and "Friends", (my advice would be to get your head examined for wanting Friends, ) I would recommend getting "Peter Gunn" first because "Friends" is in syndication and readily viewable on TV, whereas "Peter Gunn" is not.
Old 08-07-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Season By Season
Old 08-07-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definately season by season, unless the entire run is available, then I would go for the entire series.

For example, I purchased all of X Files at one time instead of buying them season by season (but I was also willing to wait since it was a blind buy for me).

The Twilight Zone is another one that you can purchase all at once (The Gold Collection). I purchased that one as well, with no regrets.

I anxiously await street dates for new seasons, but on certain shows (Larry Sanders, Mad About You etc.) sometimes the wait for future seasons is in vain.
Old 08-08-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

season by season for me.

The only shows im collecting so far are Simpsons, Futurama, Star Trek TNG and Family Guy.

When these are done up to the latest season I can buy, I will finish off my Transformers and then start on Star Trek TOS and Stargate SG1.

Could be quite an expensive year
Old 08-08-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Season by season works best for me. I watch one or two episodes at night when I get home of a given series and it's simply great to catch up like that.
Old 08-08-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whatever is on sale or I can get used for cheap, unless it's something I really want and is cheap to begin with like Futurama (for the goodness level) or Stargate SG-1 (for the cheapness).

After I buy the first season I usually end up waiting months and months before getting the next one unfortunately, just my luck though
Old 08-08-04, 12:40 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Season by season works best for me as well.
Old 08-08-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
For example, I purchased all of X Files at one time instead of buying them season by season (but I was also willing to wait since it was a blind buy for me).
Wow, that's one heck of a blind buy.

Anyway, so far I've only really collected one TV series and that's Futurama and I bought those as they became available. I also have Season 1 & 2 of Star Trek: TNG but I only bought those because I found them used for $25.
Old 08-08-04, 05:51 PM
SeeNo Member

Originally posted by Geofferson
Season by season works best for me as well.
ditto.
Old 08-08-04, 08:32 PM

I work and save some.

Then I buy the ones I like and I don't buy the ones I don't like.
Old 08-10-04, 10:22 PM

I would rather purchase an entire series at once. Too bad there are very few entire series available as of yet. If I purchased season by season, I would be worried about the possibility that not all seasons are going to make it to DVD.
Old 08-10-04, 11:03 PM
Banned

Ordinarily by release date, but spaced out depending on that month's credit card bill.
Old 08-11-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Ordinarily by release date, but spaced out depending on that month's credit card bill.

Same here. Plus I won't necessarily get every season of a series. Just the ones that represent the best of the series.