Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dark City Director's Cut SE DVD Petition

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark City Director's Cut SE DVD petition

There's a petition going around for a new, director's cut version of Dark City. I love this movie so...I signed and hope it gets done.

http://www.petitiononline.com/drkctyse/petition.html

Normally I'd say whatever on these types of petitions but Alex Proyas states on his website: "Due to the petition there seems to be a little bit of interest brewing over at New Line. So keep up those signatures because (no promises yet) this might happen."

Anyway it's worth a sign. Those numbers suck so far, but who knows we shall see.

oops forgot to put petition in the title..can anyon change that?

Last edited by jaeufraser; 08-06-04 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dark City Director's Cut SE DVD petition

Originally posted by jaeufraser

oops forgot to put petition in the title..can anyon change that?
At the bottom of your post - hit the "report this post to a moderator" and ask them to fix it.

It would be interesting to see a director's cut, though it might not actually improve the movie any (and I love this film) - and I'd definitely hold on to the current release for the Ebert commentary.
Old 08-07-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What footage was supposed to be in the film that wasn't for some reason?

It appears that petition has been around for over two years.
Old 08-07-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Oh, don't you fret or fear, every single movie released by a motion picture label will inevitably be double-dipped, triple-dipped, and you will enjoy an enslaught of redundant special features.

I say bring on Dark City Director's Cut. I say bring on Dark City Superbitses Super High Definitions 1080i Versionses. I yell from the highest mountain tops, bring on the triple-disc version with 10hrs of Kiefer Sutherland blabbering on and on about how he got in touch with his darker self and was able to capture the never-before-seen behaviors of his character, and how Jennifer Connelly repeatedly turned him down for a kiss.

Oh, and maybe make this a four-disc version with 5hrs of "24" teasers.
Old 08-07-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd like to sign a petition or maybe even bribe someone to hear Alex Proyas' commentary for THE CROW, the one he recorded that was dumped in favor of the crybaby producer who had an ongoing deal with Miramax to make more crappy Crow movies.
Old 08-07-04, 11:05 AM
Banned

Well, I recently bought the $6 original disc, and I found that I didn't like the movie as much as I originally did back when I had it on VHS. I think the Matrix Trilogy has usurped Dark City as the "definitive" (if you will) story in that genre.

So a Director's Cut of Dark City would probably be a no-sale for me.
Old 08-07-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Dark City was a masterful display of cinematic prowess! I am typically a guy who screams "Give me a ten hour cut of (just about) any movie!" But I am hesitant on this one until I know more about what would be added. Now a more loaded disc I wouldn't turn down in a heart beat, but I am starting to be a little more finicky when it comes to "Director's Cuts" (for the record, I am still ambivalent about the Donnie Darko DC).
Old 08-07-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was digging Dark City until

Spoiler:
They started shooting light beams out of their hands at the end.

What the hell was that about? It was like a 12 year old kid wrote that part.
Old 08-07-04, 02:14 PM

I'd sign a petition to get them to fix the mangled closed captions on the current release. I prefer CC over subtitles.
Old 08-07-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I was digging Dark City until

Spoiler:
They started shooting light beams out of their hands at the end.

(chunk)"oooooo, laser beams!"(chunk)

i signed the petition. i've got the original and wouldn't mind seeing a director's cut.
Old 08-07-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Movie's damn near perfect as is.

If you want it better, just mute the opening narration...
Old 08-07-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't make a difference to me, but I signed it for the rest of y'all's sakes.
Old 08-07-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what was the difference between the two cuts? I hope it had something to do with what PopcornTreeCt mentioned. The movie was really great until they had that little thing. It looked like a showdown from a crappy 80s fantasy flick.
Old 08-07-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Well, I recently bought the $6 original disc, and I found that I didn't like the movie as much as I originally did back when I had it on VHS. I think the Matrix Trilogy has usurped Dark City as the "definitive" (if you will) story in that genre.

So a Director's Cut of Dark City would probably be a no-sale for me.
I'm just the opposite--love Dark City and seen it many times, but can't sit through all of the Matrix (I did like the first film though). I think that they're very similar in theme with different atmospheres (dark/noir/creepy vs. techno/computer).

I think the disc out now is pretty great and wouldn't by a new one.

tasha
Old 08-07-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by tasha99
I'm just the opposite--love Dark City and seen it many times, but can't sit through all of the Matrix (I did like the first film though). I think that they're very similar in theme with different atmospheres (dark/noir/creepy vs. techno/computer).

I think the disc out now is pretty great and wouldn't by a new one.

tasha
I actually think they have nothing to do with each other thematically. I think Dark City and the Matrix are saying completely different things.
Old 08-07-04, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ben12
I actually think they have nothing to do with each other thematically. I think Dark City and the Matrix are saying completely different things.
I agree, they don't really have anything to do with one another thematically, but one just can't help comparing them to some degree.

Well, I take that back. Yes they do have several things in common thematically. I looked at the film this time with having Matrix hindsight, and thought that the two "franchises" have many things in common. There's just a slight difference on how TPTB control their denizens. In Dark City, the people are in a real living world, its just that
Spoiler:
its a alien-built city floating in outer space
while the people in the Matrix are in suspended animation thinking they're living in a real world.

And the agents in the Matrix are basically playing the same role as the trenchcoat dudes in Dark City.
Old 08-09-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I agree, they don't really have anything to do with one another thematically, but one just can't help comparing them to some degree.

Well, I take that back. Yes they do have several things in common thematically. I looked at the film this time with having Matrix hindsight, and thought that the two "franchises" have many things in common. There's just a slight difference on how TPTB control their denizens. In Dark City, the people are in a real living world, its just that
Spoiler:
its a alien-built city floating in outer space
while the people in the Matrix are in suspended animation thinking they're living in a real world.

And the agents in the Matrix are basically playing the same role as the trenchcoat dudes in Dark City.
Yes, they share a few superficial plot elements, but they are really about two completely different things.
Old 08-09-04, 04:38 AM

and also the names mr. hand and mr. book are way cooler than mr. smith and mr. anderson.
Old 08-09-04, 07:58 PM

I signed it, great movie, hoping for a SE.
Old 08-09-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i believe that the opening narration would be removed as I have read that the studio demanded it right before release of that movie.

Dark City came out the same time as Big Lebowski. I was doing an internship in San Francisco at nights and would see movies during the day...wow..those were some great flicks.
Old 08-09-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a directors cut would be great but wasnt the original a "platinum series?" DVD?
what else could they add besides a directors cut. Does proyas want to do a commentary or something?
It would be cool if it wasnt double sided and came in an amaray case too if they decide to re-release it.
Old 08-10-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Random
what else could they add besides a directors cut. Does proyas want to do a commentary or something?
It would be cool if it wasnt double sided and came in an amaray case too if they decide to re-release it.

Proyas did a commentary on the original dvd, the only thing it lacks are good video based supplements.
Old 08-10-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for the whole Matrix/Dark City debate. Well I have to give it up for Matrix for rewatchability and eye candy. But Dark City definately has more of a brain and heart.
Old 08-10-04, 05:45 AM

It's called tuning and it was coming out of the main characters head the entire movie. Time to watch it again.
Old 08-10-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Random
Boogie Nights had two separate "Platinum Series" DVDs from New Line. So it's not unprecedented.

Although the original DC disc was a Platinum Series, it didn't have much in the way of supplements. A commentary from the director and one from Roger Ebert, then some useless fluff trying to compare this movie to Metropolis, which it proudly declares got terrible reviews when it was released. That's about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.