Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I buy this HDTV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I buy this HDTV?

Old 08-06-04, 12:30 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy this HDTV?

A friend is moving and needs to sell his Toshiba 56H80. It's a few years old but is in great condition and has a great picture.
He'll let me have it for $1000. I already have a deal to sell my Sony 53" SD for $500, so I'm basically getting this for $500.

I wasn't planning on upgrading for a few years and was hoping to go flat when the time came. Also, I don't have any other HD devices or even a PS DVD player. I would definitely upgrade my DVD and perhaps my Directv if I bought this.

The hard part is going to be moving it and I will have to get several guys together and be very careful. According to their manual, it weighs 320 lbs. Another drawback is that it does not have DVI.

At first I wanted to jump on this, but now I'm having second thoughts. If I want to upgrade again in a few years, I'm going to have the same problem he's having now trying to get rid of it.

What are your opinions regarding this? I'm open to any and all comments at this point.
Thanks.
Old 08-06-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you've identified the right issues, now you'll just have to decide whether it fits in with what you want. Personally, I'd stick with what you have now and replace that when you're ready with a plasma or a projector. I had a 61" widescreen HD RPTV and I replaced it with a projector when I moved with which I'm much happier.