Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Linkin Park "breaking the habit" kinda sound like rush???

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-05-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody else think that this song kinda sounds like rush, especially geddy lee...
Old 08-06-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been a while since I've heard the LP song but...

Are you insane?!? Even if you're absolutely right and it could be scientifically (and musically) proven that there is some form of similarity, don't you know the hatred and chaos you invite upon yourself for making such comparisons?

You may get acres of hate mail even mentiong Rush and.....that other band in the same sentence.

Notice I didn't say Linkin Park in the same sentence as Ru.....ooops, almost did it that time. Yikes!

But seriously, I'll have to give it a listen again and see if I pick up any tinges of Rush in it.
Old 08-06-04, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree harpo.

Rush sucks!!!
Old 08-06-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
I agree harpo.

Rush sucks!!!
I think what Harpo is trying to say is that Linkin Park sucks, in that case I agree with him. Trying to compare Rush to a boy band, gad that is just asking for trouble.

Surprisingly I own Meteora, and in my opinion it does not sound like Rush or Geddy Lee at all.

Last edited by Lateralus; 08-06-04 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Lateralus
I think what Harpo is trying to say is that Linkin Park sucks, in that case I agree with him. Trying to compare Rush to a boy band, gad that is just asking for trouble.

Surprisingly I own Meteora, and in my opinion it does not sound like Rush or Geddy Lee at all.
Linkin Park plays their own instruments so they can't possibly be a boy band. (at least according to some people on this forum)
Old 08-06-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obey The D Johnson is RIGHT about Linkin Park not being a boy band (ie: play their own instruments, write their own songs). However, according to the Nu-Metal thread (started by some WONDERFUL DVDTalker......COUGH ), they DO meet a few qualifications for nu-metal (rap vocals, some schmo working a turntable, self-centered moping lyrics).

Lateralus Johnson is WRONG about harpo787 Johnson's saying Linkin Park sucks...and so is Verbal Gorilla Johnson - Rush don't suck. (I'm sorry....stupid Blazing Saddles looping in my brain). What I was saying is that considering that Rush has been around for like 30 years or so, that they are "legendary", while Linkin Park has been around for like 4 or 5 years...and to compare "legends" to "newbies" is blasphemy to most folks.

I like Rush. I also like Linkin Park. It just depends what kind of music I'm in the mood to listen to. If I want classic rock, I'm not turning to Linkin Park.
Old 08-06-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by harpo787
Been a while since I've heard the LP song but...

Are you insane?!? Even if you're absolutely right and it could be scientifically (and musically) proven that there is some form of similarity, don't you know the hatred and chaos you invite upon yourself for making such comparisons?

You may get acres of hate mail even mentiong Rush and.....that other band in the same sentence.

Notice I didn't say Linkin Park in the same sentence as Ru.....ooops, almost did it that time. Yikes!

But seriously, I'll have to give it a listen again and see if I pick up any tinges of Rush in it.
Damn dude i'm not comparing the two bands i only asked if people thought the singer in linkin park (the one that actually sings and doesn't rap) kinda sounds like geddy lee in this song only, nothing else from them, personally i can't stand linkin park or any other band with that style of music, i am a huge rush fan and yes you are right about the comparing of these two bands, so i would never do that, like i said before only the song "breaking the habit" nothing else...oh by the way did you give it a listen yet...
Old 08-07-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry, just had to defend my beloved Rush. Yes admittedly I do own both of the Linkin Park albums but both of them are on the "Rack where CD's go to die" section of my collection sitting right next to St. Anger.
Old 08-07-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

Linkin Park is ok but Breaking the Habit sucks.

Least favorite song on Meterora.
Old 08-07-04, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus
Really? ya don't say...
Old 08-07-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Linkin Park.... alot When I first started visiting the music forum I felt the need to defend or qualify them as a good band.
Old 08-07-04, 10:33 PM

Hmmmm, interesting. Chester like Geddy Lee? Nah, just doesn't come to mind when I hear the song. I can't see the comparison.

But you're a huge Rush fan so it must be a good thing then.
Old 08-08-04, 11:05 AM
Banned

They call what Geddy Lee does SINGING ? >snort< heehee