Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Should I buy a used XBox for $120...or

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a used XBox for $120...or

wait for the next price drop?

I would like to get one, but I'm fearful if I buy one now, there will be a price drop soon and I could have gotten a new one for a similar price.

Any Advice?

Thanks

Paul Jacobi
Old 08-05-04, 09:02 AM

Are there any games you'd like to play on it now?

I don't see a price drop happening until xbox 2 comes out. So, pick up an xbox if theres a game you want to play. And don't forget to preorder halo2.
Old 08-05-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if i were you, i'd wait.

Last edited by young; 08-05-04 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Unless $30 is a whole lotta money for you i would just get one new now.I wouldnt buy used when the price is that close to the price of a new one.
Old 08-05-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would wait a few more months, there is always some extra incentives (whether it is a price drop or extra packins/accessories) starting in October/November to increase Xmas sales.
Old 08-05-04, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Lastblade
I would wait a few more months, there is always some extra incentives (whether it is a price drop or extra packins/accessories) starting in October/November to increase Xmas sales.
He's able to get it for $30 cheaper than msrp right now. Those pack in games usually aren't worth $30, and if you really want them, you can pick them up for 10 or so at EB.

Besides, why wait 3 months when a significant price drop isn't even in sight. Even if the price drops, the lowest it would go is $99.

I say go for it. There's a lot of good games to be had for cheap now. If you like video games, you'll enjoy your purchase.

edit: I just realized you're considering a used xbox. I have no experience with used xbox's. I prefer to buy consoles new. They seem to have weird problems after prolonged (ab)use. My buddy picked up a new one for 120 after rebate. I think he found the deal on this board. try and find it.

Last edited by cowboy; 08-05-04 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recommend buying a refurbished system instead of a used one. Used systems can be iffy.

FYE had a $30 rebate for either an X-Box or PS2 that just expired, but it seems the offer runs every so often, so you may want to wait.

GameStop will sell you a new X-Box for $120 if you trade in a used system (N64, PSOne, not sure what other systems are valid).
Old 08-05-04, 02:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get a new or refurbished one. No sense in buying a used one just to save $30 of the price of a new one. Especially when you might get stuck with one of the older units with the crappy DVD drive or risk getting and HD that's been screwed up.
Old 08-05-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd pick up a factory refurb somewhere that has some kind of warranty.
Old 08-05-04, 08:05 PM

Just so it's said ... EBGames will sell you a used box for $99. With ANY box, I'd recommend an extended warranty, just because the DVD drive is so integral to your happiness with the system, and it contains nothing but moving parts.

FYI, with used boxes, you should also make sure that the silver "security" sticker on the bottom is intact & has never been pulled back, in case someone turned in the unit they tried (unsuccessfully) to mod, but ended up killing the whole unit.

At this price, it's a fantastic bargain, particularly since you don't need to buy any "online pack" or memory cards. I don't want to get anywhere near a flame war, but I don't think people consider those accessories when the old "PS2 vs. Xbox" debate comes up, as if PRICE was the only factor to consider when comparing! :-)
Old 08-08-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
XBOX's are usually pretty reliable systems. I work at EB and we almost never have any preowned or refurbished systems returned defective (PS2 on the other hand...)

At $99 it's a good deal, but probably get the 6 month warrantly just in case. You can always renew it when the 6 months are up too.
Old 08-08-04, 07:31 AM

buy refurbished system, if non locally at all get used. This way you can check the drives in store http://www.freewebs.com/xboxdrives/ thompson is usually common but avoid it, phillips is better , but id look for samsung in store have htem open them up. They did for me and friend.