Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Purchased Oceans Eleven Boxset, Got Full Screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchased Oceans Eleven Boxset, Got Full Screen

Just wanted to give a heads up that I recently received the Ocean's Eleven Boxset. I opened it up, finally got the disc out, put it in and boom, full screen when it is supposed to be widescreen. The set is put out by cdaentertainment.com and I just wanted to give a heads up to others who may have or plan on purchasing it to keep your eyes out. I dropped them an email and hope to get a replacement disc sent to me.
Old 08-04-04, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Nice boxset, but too pricey for me. Looks like they only have one version, the 1.85:1 WS. You sure it's not some settings on your player that's making it FS?
Old 08-04-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's 2.35:1 widescreen, so that wouldn't be possible.
Old 08-04-04, 10:11 PM

What Ocean's Eleven boxset would you be refering to?

I wasn't aware that there was one.
Old 08-04-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

my FAVORITE movie and all they put out is a crappy snapper version with nothing on it. but now i hear about this box set? gimme details? where can i buy it?!
Old 08-05-04, 01:06 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Stunna-88
What Ocean's Eleven boxset would you be refering to?

I wasn't aware that there was one.
Follow the link in the 1st post.
Old 08-05-04, 05:20 AM

Incomplete Soundtrack

I'm a fan of CDA's work (see also: 2001, Monty Python...Grail), but the dealbreaker for me is the absence of Claire de Lune from the soundtrack CD. For the uninitiated, that's the piece playing when our bandits have successfully pulled the heist and make their triumphant walk out of the hangar where the second truck is parked. They then stand at the fountain at Bellagio and disband. It's a beautiful moment, one of my favorite pieces of classical music (Claude Debussy, if you're interested), matched perfectly to the scene.

I'm kinda surprised WB didn't go the Universal route and make an "Ultimate Edition" (though they would use a different term, natch) and include the Frank Sinatra original with the remake, as Uni has with its sets for Charade, Scarface, and Death takes a Holiday.

Oh well. Maybe they'll do a Danny Ocean 2-pack when Ocean's 12 comes out on DVD. Maybe a three-pack, if you want to toss in the Sinatra version. Who knows.

CDE,

CS
Old 08-05-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Incomplete Soundtrack

Originally posted by BasiaMille
I'm a fan of CDA's work (see also: 2001, Monty Python...Grail), but the dealbreaker for me is the absence of Claire de Lune from the soundtrack CD. For the uninitiated, that's the piece playing when our bandits have successfully pulled the heist and make their triumphant walk out of the hangar where the second truck is parked. They then stand at the fountain at Bellagio and disband. It's a beautiful moment, one of my favorite pieces of classical music (Claude Debussy, if you're interested), matched perfectly to the scene.
So, CDA compiles it's own soundtrack? I actually bought the soundtrack and mine has 21 tracks on it (including "Claire de Lune"). It's a great disc.

Also, what exactly makes this the "director's cut?" I didn't get this set, but my DVD has the running time listed as 117 minutes, too.
Old 08-05-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As you can see, the correct aspect ratio is as I stated and as is stated above. As far as my settings go, the little message stating formatted to fit your screen is a great indication that it is indeed full screen and not my settings.

I haven't heard back from CDA yet. Oh yeah, I got it free, never purchased it. Got it through a free dvd club. Had to pay $0.00 total.
Old 08-05-04, 03:09 PM

That sucks and seems weird. That looks like a really nice set and i love the movie but I dont think i can justify paying that much. Bah, but it looks so sweet.
Old 08-05-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Comfort Eagle
That sucks and seems weird. That looks like a really nice set and i love the movie but I dont think i can justify paying that much. Bah, but it looks so sweet.
As I said, I got it for free.
Old 08-05-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

please feel free to keep rubbing it in some more.