Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Car Stereo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Stereo Advice

Ok, I'm a total idiot when it comes to car stereos. I'm getting a new car in a couple days, and I want to get an MP3 CD player to drop into it. I'll probably end up replacing the speakers when I get more money, but I don't really care about amps or subs or anything. Anyway, I'm trying to stay in the sub-$200 range for the head unit. I've read good and bad things about pretty much every brand - Kenwood, Clarion, Sony, Blaupunkt, Alpine - and I really have no idea what direction to go in. If anyone has some specific recommendations, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-03-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Go to a local car stereo shop, not a mass merchant.

Consider changing speakers first. A new head unit will still sound bad through bad speakers.

You may or may not need amp(s) depending on what you want to do. You might want a sub when you hear a real system playing your favorite song.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I got a Pioneer premier cd player about three yrs ago - hasn't skipped a beat. I've never been a sub guy myself, so I just got some boston speakers that still play great (although a sub wouldn't be bad - I just don't have the $$ right now) Anyways the total was about $500.

One thing i've noticed lately is a bit of rattling in the rear of my truck that is somewhat annoying at times.(depends on the song playing) The speakers are securely in there, it's probably the side panels or something. Haven't really figured it out - any suggestions?
Old 08-04-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try this, plus I'm sure you can find it cheaper at a mom 'n pop store :

http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/i...duct=DXZ545MP#
Old 08-04-04, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon

Consider changing speakers first. A new head unit will still sound bad through bad speakers.
Good luck.
Unfortunately, the car I'm buying doesn't currently have a CD player in it, so it will have to be a head unit first.
Old 08-04-04, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had an Alpine unit in my car now since I got the car 2 years ago and totally pleased with it. I doubt I will ever buy a different brand head unit again.
I also only changed my rear speakers and put in Kickers. They sound great. I'd probably do more but it's a lease car so....
Old 08-04-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alpine CDA-9826, $230 from Crutchfield (which would include a kit and harness, and free shipping).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RZmpE1M...&avf=N&search=

I've not actually held this unit in my hands, but I've used Alpine CD players for years and highly recommend them. If I were going to buy a new radio today, this would be it.

You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere, but don't forget to add in the price of a kit and harness, plus Crutchfield has a reputation for having top-notch customer service (useful if you get stuck when installing it).
Old 08-04-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd agree about Alpine, i've had mostly Alpine's in the past, but have had Sonys, Panasonics, etc. In my experience, Alpine has been the best and most reliable. Havent had one problem, usually just replaced for upgrades or different cars.
Old 08-05-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by Heat
Alpine CDA-9826, $230 from Crutchfield (which would include a kit and harness, and free shipping).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RZmpE1M...&avf=N&search=

I've not actually held this unit in my hands, but I've used Alpine CD players for years and highly recommend them. If I were going to buy a new radio today, this would be it.

You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere, but don't forget to add in the price of a kit and harness, plus Crutchfield has a reputation for having top-notch customer service (useful if you get stuck when installing it).
The other thing is Crutchfield is an authorized merchant unlike a lot of places online.