Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any more Bunuel films coming to dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any more Bunuel films coming to dvd?

I've been trying to view more foreign films latley and I've been wondering if there are any more Luis Bunuel movies coming to dvd. Un Chien Andalou? L' Âge d'or?
Old 08-03-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L'Age d'Or was announced last year (I forget by who... Kino?), and was then subjected to a series of delays. I dunno what the status of this one is now.

A Koch-Lorber rep let on in another thread that they were working on "Los Olvidados" (you may have the Films-sans-frontieres DVD already).

Criterion holds rights to more Bunuel films, as I understand it, but no new announcements.
Old 08-03-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
L'Age d'Or was announced last year (I forget by who... Kino?), and was then subjected to a series of delays. I dunno what the status of this one is now.
From what I had last heard it was supposed to come out sometime late 2004. Hopefully that is still the case. This is a movie I have been waiting for to show up on DVD since I bought my first one.
Old 08-03-04, 10:17 AM

according to amazon on aug 31st Bunuel's Robinson Crusoe is being released on DVD. i myself have not seen it before but def looking forward to it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846
Old 08-03-04, 10:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by fnordboy
From what I had last heard it was supposed to come out sometime late 2004. Hopefully that is still the case. This is a movie I have been waiting for to show up on DVD since I bought my first one.
I would think the double bill L'Age d'Or/Un Chien Andula is still making the art theatre run and that later in the year, they might get released on DVD (of course I am just speculating here).
Old 08-03-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both films on a single DVD release would be ideal. Hell, throw "Las Hurdes" on there, too!
Old 08-03-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I keep hoping for Exterminating Angel and Phantom of Liberty.
Old 08-03-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard that The Milky Way is coming from Criterion sometime later this year or early next year.
Old 08-03-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suspect Criterion has rights to "Phantom". It's hard to say which film I'm anticipating most... maybe "The Milky Way".

EDIT: I hope it's a good omen that the very moment I posted my desire for "The Milky Way" it's also posted as being a Criterion possibility!
Old 08-03-04, 01:07 PM

In Kino's catalog they have L'Age D'Or set for "Fall 2004". They have Un Chien Andalou with Las Hurdes, but it's on expensive VHS.
Old 08-03-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Richard Malloy
I suspect Criterion has rights to "Phantom". It's hard to say which film I'm anticipating most... maybe "The Milky Way".

EDIT: I hope it's a good omen that the very moment I posted my desire for "The Milky Way" it's also posted as being a Criterion possibility!
Rialto Pictures re-released The Milky Way and The Phantom of Liberty theatrically and Criterion handles their home video releases, so it's only a matter of time.
Old 08-03-04, 04:17 PM

The Milky Way (La Voie lactée) is being released next month in the UK as part of a boxset.
Old 08-03-04, 04:25 PM
Needs to provide a working email

According to an email from Kino, L'Age Dor is slated for November 9, but they do not own the DVD rights to either Un Chien Andalou or Las Hurdes.
Old 08-03-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Criterion has stated that they are releasing some Bunuel later this year - and since they have the rights to The Miky Way and The Phantom of Liberty, I assume it'll be those titles.