Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What if you were placed as host of a talk-show for one day

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if you were placed as host of a talk-show for one day

Either Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, or Jimmy Kimmel for one day because they had to fly out of the country for some reason. How would you fare at the:
1. Monologue
2. Bits at the desk or some other humorous segment
3. Guest interviews

And how would you rate yourself by watching a taping of the episode and trying to perfect your performance?
Old 08-03-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Hosting a talk show is harder than it looks...Conan has a great sense of humor, yet he was horrible his first few months on the air, if anyone remembers.
Old 08-03-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had to MC before, so I'd have no trouble with one monologue with a couple of days prep time. Night after night, though, is another story. Even with talented writers, I'm impressed how they can do that.

I've done enough stage work to feel comfortable with silly segments. Those wouldn't be too rough.

I don't think I'd be good with interviews. Sure, I could lead a guest into telling a story, but if the guest was dull, I'd probably fail at trying to make them seem interesting and fill the time with clever banter. I'd definitely need a sidekick to help with that.

das
Old 08-03-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

I don't think I'd be good with interviews. Sure, I could lead a guest into telling a story, but if the guest was dull, I'd probably fail at trying to make them seem interesting and fill the time with clever banter. I'd definitely need a sidekick to help with that.

das
All those interviews are prepped. The host and the guest go over the questions and answers before they even film the show. That's why you won't see some celebs go on Letterman - Dave has been known to veer off from the scheduled Q&A.
Old 08-03-04, 01:23 PM

i would take over for mr. cosmo kramer.
Old 08-03-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Hosting a talk show is harder than it looks...Conan has a great sense of humor, yet he was horrible his first few months on the air, if anyone remembers.
Oh I remember Andy Richter was the only reason I could stand that show the first season.

I think Kimmel's got it the easiest. For one he doesn't do the monologue, it's more like 5 minutes of Talk Soup and most of the comedy bits are taped. I think I could pull that off. I like his show though, because they did manage to make it different enough from the standard.
Old 08-03-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
I'd ditch the monologue and just start the show off with me behind the desk looking like Garth on Wayne's World after Wayne quits. From there I'd just ad-lib with my shtick of being pulled off the street to fill in. Once the guests come on, it should be easy from then on.

If anything, I can't be any worse than the Magic Hour.
Old 08-03-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

das
I'd be a horrible w/ a monologue and other solo material, but I would be great if I was the sidekick and only had to throw in a little quip here and there to keep things on track or interesting if necessary.
Old 08-03-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• devilshalo •

I'd ditch the monologue and just start the show off with me behind the desk looking like Garth on Wayne's World after Wayne quits. From there I'd just ad-lib with my shtick of being pulled off the street to fill in. Once the guests come on, it should be easy from then on.
What a great gimmick this would be if you were the regular host.

das
Old 08-04-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No no you couldn't ditch anyone, this is strictly subbing for present shows. You'd have to sweat it out to the best of your abilities whether it bombs or is great.
Old 08-04-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Few of Letterman's subs did a monologue.